Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 08:29 AM

228 posts, read 528,645 times

Advertisements

If you are staying in Nashville for the next few years, and you are interested in buying a home, you might call the agent in ViveLa France’s video. He’s an expert in the urban areas of Nashville and can help you compare the options available to you; options in Buena Vista vs. Inglewood for instance, or what you get for the money in various area of East Nashville versus West Nashville neighborhoods that you have mentioned.

Your point about the income you show now versus the income you’ll show in two years is a savvy one. You have more options now than you may then, but it’s probably a longer discussion to find out if taking advantage of them now 'out weighs' other transactions costs, rent, etc.

Ask Brian about how well these areas are selling and appreciating. Then at least you have more specific information to make a decision on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 08:42 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,722,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
I live in the germantown/salemtown community which is just across 8th avenue from Buena Vista. I moved from one of Nashville's nicer suburbs and really have fallen in love with the area. If you consider yourself an urban pioneer who can overlook some petty crime while working with the neighborhood to create a better community then I would highly recommend moving either to Buena Vista/Hope Gardnes or German/Salemtown. It's not a place where you can be apathetic about anything. There are some very nice parts of Buena Vista to the south near the farmers market and Jefferson St and some not to nice areas to the north near Metro Center and the Interstate. You really need to drive through the neighborhood and the neighboring areas. The whole area is on the rise. I would say Germantown is already "there." Salemtown is becoming the new Germantown and Hope Gardens/Buena Vista are bringing up the rear but definitely still changing for the better.

Here's a video I found online that showcases the north Nashville neighborhoods...
Neighborhood Tour Video - Nashville Urban Neighborhoods: Germantown, Hope Gardens, Historic Buena Vista & Salemtown - WellcomeMat
You wrote the above in 2011. How do you feel now, two years later?

Old 04-17-2013, 10:12 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
Vive had to move to Boston (my best to Boston . . . ) but still posts on this board and seems to miss Germantown very much. Always suggesting it to people moving here.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:23 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,844,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
You wrote the above in 2011. How do you feel now, two years later?
I feel even more optimistic about the neighborhood now. Development has really picked up in Salemtown especially. If I can ever wrangle another relocation to Nashville I will definitely be looking to live back in one of these neighborhoods. Go to realtracs and search Salemtown as the neighborhood and you can see some of the new construction. It's very exciting.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:55 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
There is a lot going on in Germantown. It's simply amazing to me how a lot of the media covers everything east or west, but manages to skip out on one of the hottest neighborhoods in the city that is right on their doorstep.

Germantown is building everything from big apartment blocks to rowhouses/townhouses, to single family infill, and even has a proposed cohabitation project. The difference between Germantown and a lot of the other hot areas is they aren't just talking it up, they're actually building it.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
I feel even more optimistic about the neighborhood now. Development has really picked up in Salemtown especially. If I can ever wrangle another relocation to Nashville I will definitely be looking to live back in one of these neighborhoods. Go to realtracs and search Salemtown as the neighborhood and you can see some of the new construction. It's very exciting.
I looked at a number of places in Salem and Germantown but made an offer on a place in Buena Vista.. Looking at it as a long term investment.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:36 AM

3 posts, read 2,393 times
Quote:
I looked at a number of places in Salem and Germantown but made an offer on a place in Buena Vista.. Looking at it as a long term investment.
I'm also looking to move to the area.. Curious how your offer on the place went / what pricing you found in the area, and what you think of the area in terms of safety / livability, please!

Old 05-06-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naiche View Post
I'm also looking to move to the area.. Curious how your offer on the place went / what pricing you found in the area, and what you think of the area in terms of safety / livability, please!
I guess all 4 units (2 duplexes) went under contract within a few days. Mine was #4, so no real negotiation on price (since there were 3 lined up behind me to see it), but price per square foot was great. Since they are just finishing them, I don't close until early June. I've done a lot of driving around the immediate area at all times and there is quite a bit more new (0-2 years) construction or remodel than I had thought and the street I'm on, all the houses are very nicely maintained. So I'm happy so far.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:37 PM

3 posts, read 2,393 times
Quote:
I guess all 4 units (2 duplexes) went under contract within a few days. Mine was #4, so no real negotiation on price (since there were 3 lined up behind me to see it), but price per square foot was great. Since they are just finishing them, I don't close until early June. I've done a lot of driving around the immediate area at all times and there is quite a bit more new (0-2 years) construction or remodel than I had thought and the street I'm on, all the houses are very nicely maintained. So I'm happy so far.
May I ask what area in Buena Vista? (Not asking for a street address but maybe something more specific, e.g. near X park or Y monument ) I'm finding it difficult to get an accurate representation of the surrounding areas of Nashville and the price ranges of homes / rentals. Trying to decide, as you were, if buying would make more sense than renting, when my job is remote work based in CT, yet my girlfriend is a dancer and will possibly be bouncing around to different companies.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naiche View Post
May I ask what area in Buena Vista? (Not asking for a street address but maybe something more specific, e.g. near X park or Y monument ) I'm finding it difficult to get an accurate representation of the surrounding areas of Nashville and the price ranges of homes / rentals. Trying to decide, as you were, if buying would make more sense than renting, when my job is remote work based in CT, yet my girlfriend is a dancer and will possibly be bouncing around to different companies.
One of the streets off Monroe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: