Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 10:12 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
Yes, thats what I was thinking. If they some kind of way could convert 171 into an "865" or something like that would be the most ideal thing to do. That way we would have a continuous streatch of road from Brentwood, Nolensville to Antioch and just west of Lavergne up to Mt. Juliet and they could put a bridge over Old Hickory Lake to connect it on up to Hendersonville. Now that would make the most since. I don't think they want to do that because 285 in Atlanta is the reason Atlanta's metro area grew so fast. I don't think the Nashville area trully wants the growth, nor the connection to joining communities, as they do in the Atlanta area.
If you look at a map, you can almost draw a straight line from the end of Concord Rd to Hobson Pike @ Murfreesboro Rd. Unless there has been a lot of new development in between there (and not updated on the map), I think that would be the perfect corridor for a connection. There's not much you can do on Concord between Nolensville and I-65, other than 5 lane it. I don't think it would be too difficult to turn most of Hobson Pk into a divided highway with a higher speed limit (biggest issue is building another bridge over J. Percy Priest). It wouldn't be hard to connect to Mount Juliet...but Mount Juliet to Hendersonville could be more tricky. There's not really a good way without bulldozing several houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 10:22 AM

815 posts, read 2,018,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
If you look at a map, you can almost draw a straight line from the end of Concord Rd to Hobson Pike @ Murfreesboro Rd. Unless there has been a lot of new development in between there (and not updated on the map), I think that would be the perfect corridor for a connection. There's not much you can do on Concord between Nolensville and I-65, other than 5 lane it. I don't think it would be too difficult to turn most of Hobson Pk into a divided highway with a higher speed limit (biggest issue is building another bridge over J. Percy Priest). It wouldn't be hard to connect to Mount Juliet...but Mount Juliet to Hendersonville could be more tricky. There's not really a good way without bulldozing several houses.
Yes, I was just looking on google earth at the area and know the area between Antioch and Mt. Juliet on 171 very well since I travel it a lot. It wouldn't take much to change it between the cities of Brentwood to Hendersonville. If you look at google earth the nortern portion of it to connect Mt. Juliet to Hendersonville would not be much either if they take it slightly norh east of Mt. Juliet which would have it ending just north east of Hendersonville on to Gallitin Rd. But as I said before, I don't think many of the individual couties really want to grow that fast, which would make the entire area grow. Some leaders in Nashville do stuff so dumb that they would probally but a road like that to connect Springfield to Joelton to Ashland city to Bellvue, areas less in need of anything like that, before they would the eastern areas that need it the most. Just wait, the stupid people in Nashville will come up with something like that that doesn't make scence.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Yes, I was just looking on google earth at the area and know the area between Antioch and Mt. Juliet on 171 very well since I travel it a lot. It wouldn't take much to change it between the cities of Brentwood to Hendersonville. If you look at google earth the nortern portion of it to connect Mt. Juliet to Hendersonville would not be much either if they take it slightly norh east of Mt. Juliet which would have it ending just north east of Hendersonville on to Gallitin Rd. But as I said before, I don't think many of the individual couties really want to grow that fast, which would make the entire area grow. Some leaders in Nashville do stuff so dumb that they would probally but a road like that to connect Springfield to Joelton to Ashland city to Bellvue, areas less in need of anything like that, before they would the eastern areas that need it the most. Just wait, the stupid people in Nashville will come up with something like that that doesn't make scence.
Perfect example of that is the western areas of Briley parkway. Why did they spend so much time years ago connecting the western and northwestern portions of Briley Pkwy rather than giving doing it on the Southeaster portion of it. I think it is so dumb how Briley Pkwy south of 1-40 has traffic lights, ect. then turns to busy Thompson lane going through 100 Oaks area. I know that would take a lot of work to change it, but at least the portion between 1-40 and 1-24 could have been upgraded to be like the other parts of it north of 1-40. Then you have the newer Northwestern portion of it that has like 2 cars on it at any given part of the day... doesn't make any scence to me...

Old 02-28-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:

I think a lot of the problem has been the uncontrolled growth and lack of foresight. It seemed during the 1990s that there were no "big picture" ideas for the Nashville metro...just individual plans (if that) for certain communities. Now that traffic is becoming a pain and gas is so high, it's forcing some areas to reconsider how they plan development. It's almost too late for that.

Another issue Nashville has is terrain related. Besides 2 lakes on the eastern side of town, the highland rim area begins very shortly after you leave Nashville to the north or west. So rather than develop equally in all directions, Nashville's main development mainly runs NE to S. The population center for the metro isn't in downtown Nashville...it's probably close to Antioch and Percy Priest Lake. Nashville needs more connecting roads between the population centers. We can't just rely on the interstates and a few circling arterials to handle all of our traffic.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I think a lot of the problem has been the uncontrolled growth and lack of foresight. It seemed during the 1990s that there were no "big picture" ideas for the Nashville metro...just individual plans (if that) for certain communities. Now that traffic is becoming a pain and gas is so high, it's forcing some areas to reconsider how they plan development. It's almost too late for that.

Another issue Nashville has is terrain related. Besides 2 lakes on the eastern side of town, the highland rim area begins very shortly after you leave Nashville to the north or west. So rather than develop equally in all directions, Nashville's main development mainly runs NE to S. The population center for the metro isn't in downtown Nashville...it's probably close to Antioch and Percy Priest Lake. Nashville needs more connecting roads between the population centers. We can't just rely on the interstates and a few circling arterials to handle all of our traffic.
Thats the obvious, but the stupid people in Nashville still think like it is 1980 and they are preparing for 1990. Trust me, they'll put a interstate on Bells Bend or have like an Ashland City to Joelton superhighway, 80mph, LOL, before they put one where it is really needed..... It would also help with public transportation if there were a connector road because you could get on the bus, sub way, or somthing and travel from Hendersonville to Brentwood by going around Nashville on the bus, rather than going into downtown nashville to to get on another bus to continue your trip to Brentwood. But like I said with something like a 865 it would really make Nashville be a true metropolitian city, and I don't think too many people want that, especially in the counties outside of Davidson.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Thats the obvious, but the stupid people in Nashville still think like it is 1980 and they are preparing for 1990. Trust me, they'll put a interstate on Bells Bend or have like an Ashland City to Joelton superhighway, 80mph, LOL, before they put one where it is really needed..... It would also help with public transportation if there were a connector road because you could get on the bus, sub way, or somthing and travel from Hendersonville to Brentwood by going around Nashville on the bus, rather than going into downtown nashville to to get on another bus to continue your trip to Brentwood. But like I said with something like a 865 it would really make Nashville be a true metropolitian city, and I don't think too many people want that, especially in the counties outside of Davidson.
Maybe they are intentionally neglecting the area so traffic will become awful and the Music City Star line to Murfreesboro will thrive.

LOL

Old 02-28-2011, 11:30 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Look to our congresspersons.
See who is very opposed to certain mass transit solutions and light rail, especially to the south.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:30 PM

593 posts, read 1,356,117 times
Quote:
If you look at google earth the nortern portion of it to connect Mt. Juliet to Hendersonville would not be much either if they take it slightly norh east of Mt. Juliet which would have it ending just north east of Hendersonville on to Gallitin Rd.
It's hard to tell from Google Earth, but since I live in MJ and visit Hendersonville often... well, I'd love a bridge to be honest with you, but I can't think of a feasible path that comes out near Hendersonville and doesn't involve a wide lake crossing and knocking down expensive homes.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExIslander View Post
It's hard to tell from Google Earth, but since I live in MJ and visit Hendersonville often... well, I'd love a bridge to be honest with you, but I can't think of a feasible path that comes out near Hendersonville and doesn't involve a wide lake crossing and knocking down expensive homes.
It would have to branch off to the east of 171 just south of Mt. Juliet High School. I'm not sure of the flow of Benders Ferry Rd. but it could be converted and when it bends to the east the connector road could bend to the north west with a bridge over the lake and it connect with a current street in Hendersonville, or go to the far north east portion of Hendersonville where no houses are, according to google earth. That way it would put you out between Hendersonville and Gallatin. That would be the trickiest portion of it other than the portion in Davidson county through Antioch where neighborhoods are and Long Hunter State Park.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,303 times
I am considering buying a home in Lenox Village or Bellevue. I would appreciate feedback from residents, preferably longterm ones.
I love the concept of Lenox Village. I am concerned mainly with safety issues and home values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville