Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,482 times

Advertisements

Hello all!! I've been researching Nashville for a while and just happened to come across this great site! Before I start off with my questions (which I have a lot of!!) I'd just like to say that Yes I am from NY but not THAT NY!lol
I live on a solar/wind powered farm here in NY. Dirt roads and in the middle of an Amish community (though we're not amish) Hunting is big around here, my family and I raise pretty much all of our own food. (I don't know what tastes better than a grass fed angus.) I'm the oldest of a whole bunch of kids lol and I'm in my second year of a community college here. Alright her come the questions!

1.) From what I've researched and read it seems like Tn would be the right place for me to live. I live in a place that has the southern charm, though we're not southerners and I love it! So (sorry I tend to beat around the bush a bit!!) I've looked at a few colleges down there. Belmont, Vanderbilt etc. For those of you that have gone to either or any others up there. What did you think? What were some pros and cons?

2.) Like most college students my wallet is pretty much empty! So though I'd like to rent a small house I'm just not sure that'd I'd be able to afford that. I've looked at a few apartments in my price range, 300-500, and they seem alright. Do any of you have suggestions about a cheap, but nice apartment? I have a small dog and will be getting a larger breed dog that I'd be taking with me.

3.)I have heard that their is a racial bias down there. Now before I make any judgements I want to know what y'all think? I am white, but I CANNOT stand nor abide by others treating people who aren't rudely. Just can't do it.

4.) I am a Catholic and actively involved in my Church. Are there other Catholics around Nashville that could tell me where there are some churches? Church is a big part of my life and I'd like a really "vibrant" Church.lol One that has people of all ages.

5.)What job oppurtunites are their down there? I work on my parents farm and worked on a farm before that, so I've never had a "real job." I'm more than willing to work hard, do the job and do it right. I show up to work on time and rarely if ever call out sick. Any suggestions?

6.)This move wouldn't be til' about July/August of next year. I've heard that the summers are really bad. Thoughts? Where I am now it snows a lot and pretty much from Oct.-March or April. I actually prefer the cold rather than the hot weather, but besides this TN seems wonderful!

7.)I am moving up there for two reasons. One is because I'd really like to try and enter the Country music industry. I know that a ton of people do the same thing and end up going home brokenhearted, but I don't want to be the kind of person that wonders down the road..."Could I have done it?" Two: I'm really looking forward to this kind of community and atmosphere. It's what I have here and will enjoy the same thing again lol

Well thanks ahead of time for reading my long post...I tend to be a bit long-winded!!

God Bless Y'all!
Krys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 12:53 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
Hi Krys,

Sounds like a great plan, and Nashville is a very nice place. There ARE rural areas but not near the colleges. I can't imagine renting a house very close to the city for $500. Utilities might run you another $250 and that's even cutting it close. MAYBE if you tried a roommate situation but with two dogs that might be tough.

Jobs are hard to find all over but maybe next year will be better? Maybe you'd be able to find something on a farm outside Nashville if that could work into your school schedule.

I'm sure there are some people down here who are racially biased, as there are everywhere. But I'd say on a whole we are a fairly friendly bunch of folks - LOTS of transplanted Northerners (like me!)

All the best!

Old 09-08-2011, 02:08 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
If you want to get into the Country music biz, look into Belmont. I believe they have some good programs for that industry. Lipscomb might also have similar programs, but don't quote me on that.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:23 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmersdaughter211 View Post
Hello all!! I've been researching Nashville for a while and just happened to come across this great site! Before I start off with my questions (which I have a lot of!!) I'd just like to say that Yes I am from NY but not THAT NY!lol
I live on a solar/wind powered farm here in NY. Dirt roads and in the middle of an Amish community (though we're not amish) Hunting is big around here, my family and I raise pretty much all of our own food. (I don't know what tastes better than a grass fed angus.) I'm the oldest of a whole bunch of kids lol and I'm in my second year of a community college here. Alright her come the questions!
Hi, and welcome to the forum. I, as well as the other helpful posters here, will attempt to answer your questions (and maybe even ask you a few) to see if the Nashville area would be right for you. Don't worry about being from New York, first of all. There are plenty of transplants that have moved here from across the country. While you may occasionally encounter the stereotypical "Yankee go home" Southerner, I assure you that is not the norm. From my perspective, most transplants that have problems here are the ones who constantly compare here to where they are from -- in other words, they can't get past the differences in the culture in order to enjoy themselves.

Nashville is not a perfect place by any means, but it has a lot more to offer than many give it credit for. For one, the old stereotypes about this town (country redneck/hickish) do not apply to the majority of the population. There are people from all races, as well as many ethnicities and religions who make their home here. It's not a huge city, but about as cosmopolitan as you would expect a metro of more than 1.5 million to be.

Quote:
1.) From what I've researched and read it seems like Tn would be the right place for me to live. I live in a place that has the southern charm, though we're not southerners and I love it! So (sorry I tend to beat around the bush a bit!!) I've looked at a few colleges down there. Belmont, Vanderbilt etc. For those of you that have gone to either or any others up there. What did you think? What were some pros and cons?
I have not gone to either, but I can provide a little insight from the perspective of one who is a lifelong resident and has seen those universities grow over the past couple of decades.

Vanderbilt is a very well renowned university, nationwide, as I'm sure you have researched. It has a very beautiful urban campus just a couple miles west of downtown. The university is private, and while it does have a divinity school, Vanderbilt is not affiliated with any denomination. It is not considered a Christian school.

The campus itself is 330 acres and has been declared a national arboretum, with more than 6,000 trees. The buildings are a blend of a beautiful historic variety in quads mixed in with a number of modern buildings. The medical center on campus is massive. The neighborhoods around campus range from large scale apartments and condos to rows of beautiful historic houses with lawns. However, I must warn you, if you are on a budget, that side of town is among the most expensive and exclusive in the city. Even the not as new/nice or renovated properties are generally more expensive than you would pay elsewhere in town.

Belmont has seemed to gain a lot of exposure in the past few years. It is about half the size of Vanderbilt in terms of overall students -- but Vanderbilt has a considerable number of grad students. The undergrad populations are similar. Belmont's campus is very close to Vanderbilt (slightly south/southeast), but is much smaller (75 acres). Belmont is a Christian school -- originally Southern Baptist, but recently the school has decided to separate itself from the Southern Baptist Convention. I believe this move was to become more open to all elements of Christianity.

Housing right around Belmont is a little less expensive than that around Vandy -- but still a bit higher than average in the city. From a budget standpoint, though, Belmont is much, much friendlier than Vanderbilt.

Here's a side-by-side comparison of the two schools (from collegeboard.com):

College Search - compare colleges and universities side-by-side
(hope the link works -- otherwise, just search the two schools to compare them)

Quote:
2.) Like most college students my wallet is pretty much empty! So though I'd like to rent a small house I'm just not sure that'd I'd be able to afford that. I've looked at a few apartments in my price range, 300-500, and they seem alright. Do any of you have suggestions about a cheap, but nice apartment? I have a small dog and will be getting a larger breed dog that I'd be taking with me.
$300 is almost out of the question, without being in a slum. $500 is definitely on the low end, but possible. I can't give you specifics on individual apartments, but I would be very careful when considering them. You don't want to end up in a low-rent apartment in a bad section of town. You should consider, if possible, finding a roommate (or roommates) to help you split the costs.

Quote:
3.)I have heard that their is a racial bias down there. Now before I make any judgements I want to know what y'all think? I am white, but I CANNOT stand nor abide by others treating people who aren't rudely. Just can't do it.
There are racial issues everywhere....North, South, East, and West. Again, this is a stereotype primarily applied to the South when it exists everywhere. I don't think there are big racial problems down here. Sure, there are incidents from time to time, but it's not a part of everyday life, and definitely not prominent. You can go to many areas of the city where whites, blacks, Asians, Hispanics, Jews, Muslims, and Hindus interact without incident. Nashville, as well as most of the South, had some pretty bad racial strife, especially in the 60s...but we are almost 50 years removed from that now. Things aren't always peachy, but I wouldn't come here expecting to see a lot of racial problems -- not on any higher of a level than most major cities with a fairly large minority population.

Quote:
4.) I am a Catholic and actively involved in my Church. Are there other Catholics around Nashville that could tell me where there are some churches? Church is a big part of my life and I'd like a really "vibrant" Church.lol One that has people of all ages.
There are a number of Catholic Churches in Nashville. While Catholicism isn't huge here, there are about 76,000 Catholics living in Middle Tennessee...most of them concentrated around Nashville. There are enough to support a school system...oddly enough, larger than any other denomination's school system.

I am not Catholic, but I did go to a Catholic high school. There are a number of very active parishes in town...I can't point you to a specific one...but I would say it would probably be up to your preference...do you want to be a part of a larger parish? Or smaller? Or in between?

Roman Catholic Diocese of Nashville, Tennessee - Bishop's Office - Departments Page (http://www.dioceseofnashville.com/parishes-alphalist.htm - broken link)

Here's a list of all of the parishes....I think it might be best to contact the diocese if you are interested in finding a good fit for you.

Quote:
5.)What job oppurtunites are their down there? I work on my parents farm and worked on a farm before that, so I've never had a "real job." I'm more than willing to work hard, do the job and do it right. I show up to work on time and rarely if ever call out sick. Any suggestions?
Like everywhere, the economy here isn't great. Things aren't bad, though...the unemployment is much higher than we would like, but lower than most of our peer cities. Finding a job won't be easy...but if you apply to enough places, you're bound to find something. My suggestion would be to find something that will be friendly to your college schedule. Some places are better at that than others...perhaps a retail job where you can work 15-20 hours a week would be best. Coming from the experience of someone who worked in college...working more than 20 hours a week + doing school work can be very taxing. Although you want to make enough money to live on, you don't want to do it at the expense of making your school life more difficult.

There are plenty of retail places around Vanderbilt and Belmont...perhaps the best concentration of them would be in the Green Hills area...you might start there.

Quote:
6.)This move wouldn't be til' about July/August of next year. I've heard that the summers are really bad. Thoughts? Where I am now it snows a lot and pretty much from Oct.-March or April. I actually prefer the cold rather than the hot weather, but besides this TN seems wonderful!
It gets pretty hot every summer...this summer is definitely no exception. Expect highs from around 85-95 for most of July and August -- as well as a very uncomfortable amount of humidity. If you're not used to it, you might find that to be one of the most unattractive qualities about the South. In general, it's hot here from May-September, with June-July-August being the most oppressive.

As far as snow...it can snow from October to April here...but it is quite rare...especially in the fringe months. We average just under 10 inches of snow total for the season...and usually that is maintained by having a "big" 5-7" snowfall every few years. Most of the time that it snows, it's under 2"...and doesn't really stick to the streets.

Most people will say that no one can drive in the snow here...and I assure you that there is something to that...some people have an unnecessary fear of the white stuff, and drive like recent lobotomy patients whenever it falls...but what is not stated enough is how slick the streets are -- even with very little snow on them. A lot of the problem here stems from the temperature when snow falls...many times around the freezing point...28-35 degrees. The snow is usually "wet" rather than a dry, powdery snow (this makes for good snowballs, but terrible roads). Many times, the snow melts on contact with the streets, making them wet (just like in the rain)...but overnight, as the sun goes down, and the temperature drops into the 20s (or sometimes teens), the roads freeze over, creating a very slick surface for the morning commute (which is usually pre-sunrise). Add in the rolling hills (some of which are quite steep) and you have a recipe for carmaggedon.

Quote:
7.)I am moving up there for two reasons. One is because I'd really like to try and enter the Country music industry. I know that a ton of people do the same thing and end up going home brokenhearted, but I don't want to be the kind of person that wonders down the road..."Could I have done it?" Two: I'm really looking forward to this kind of community and atmosphere. It's what I have here and will enjoy the same thing again lol
I'm glad that you don't have some dreamy pie-in-the-sky view about the music industry here...but it deserves to be stressed again that many people don't make it in that industry. This town is ultra-saturated with musical talent...and not just Country. From songwriters, singers, session musicians, and industry administrators...you can't throw a rock without hitting one or two.

That said, I think you should seriously look in to Belmont. They have a world class music industry school, and have several ties to Music Row (see: Mike Curb of Curb Records). And Belmont does have a notable alumni list of music stars:

Belmont University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Well thanks ahead of time for reading my long post...I tend to be a bit long-winded!!

God Bless Y'all!
Krys
You are very welcome. Good luck in your search, and I hope you are able to find what you are looking for! If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:40 AM

76 posts, read 222,850 times
I can't offer you much advice on church or schools in Nashville, I grew up in Nashville, moved away during high school/college to IL.

However I can mention from a personal experience upon moving back and trying to find a job in the area a couple of years ago....I used a staffing agency called Adecco, my job coach was from NY State. An issue that my job coach mentioned, unless you are going for a specialty job, that hiring managers at general places like to see that you have established yourself in TN, and have held employment in TN.

The economy is bad all over, but Nashville seems to be doing better than most places, so I am sure you will be able to find something, it may be in a store, restaurant, or some place like that.....A huge mall called Opry Mills will be finally open again in the Spring after last year's flood, that place employs several thousand people....

As other posters have mentioned, Nashville is no more racist than any other place in the country.

Can't offer any advice on the music industry, other than you have to be very realestic about the fact that it is a very hard business to get into. Many musicians have been in the city for years waiting tables still trying to make it.

I will say this, Nashville is an awesome place, full of people from all over the world....Just make sure you have your vehicle insured (full coverage)....lol....Many drivers around the city do not have insurance.....

Btw having a dog with you will make renting more difficult in your price range, so you may want to give that some thought before you bring your pet, esp if you are wanting to live in the inner city.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:24 AM

38 posts, read 86,257 times
Hey there! Where from in NY? I moved here from Syracuse almost 6 years ago. I lived in Knoxville for a while and liked that much better for many reasons! Well...let's see if I can help a little because I am planning a move out of here myself in about 2 years, but can give you some of my perspective. I go to a great private Christian school here- Trevecca Nazarene University!!! Apartments in that price range might be a little tight if you are planning to live alone, but if you are up for living with roomates and making new friends it can work!!! Most places are around $600-800 depending on the area you go - Vanderbilt and Belmont area are nice, but get very pricey unless you live with someone. The Mount Juliet area is nice with about a 30 minute commute on a good day, but very pretty and upcoming. I like Mount Juliet because it is more of that Southern country feel away from the city! The job market is pretty good here and if you are interested in singing in the country fashion- this is your place, but obviously very competitive!!! This area is very heavy around Christianity and there is literally a church on every block- if not 5-6 - Not my thing because we didn't have that up there, but I kinda knew it coming down here. I miss NY because the summers here are very long and waaaay too humid for my taste. Summers last from May-the end of September and my favorite season, fall is just too short here. Nashville is like a big bowl sometimes of humidity and the air gets kinda heavy and just stays stale with no wind, but some people like that just not me!! Hope that helps you some- let me know if you have any other questions!!!

Old 09-14-2011, 07:54 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiebeth1229 View Post
This area is very heavy around Christianity and there is literally a church on every block- if not 5-6 -
Literally? Come on ....

Old 09-14-2011, 08:20 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Literally? Come on ....

Yes, it's true. Our primary industry is Jesus.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:39 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
Lived here a year and have not yet found Jesus. Haven't even seen him ANYWHERE! I mean, there are lots of churches. But there are lots of Sonics, too

George Jones was at the honky tonk restaurant I ate at last night pre Night Ranger/Foreigner/Journey (man, I feel old . . . ).

Have also seen Scott Hamilton, Brad Paisley, Jack White . . . no Jesus.

(and I mean no disrespect . . . I just don't feel that religion is shoved down my throat, not even close!)

Old 09-15-2011, 06:32 AM

38 posts, read 86,257 times
To each is own - I don't necessarily like this area. I am not one for the bible belt and I have learned that, but I respect that it is a big thing here, just saying be aware of it. I didn't realize the meaning of it till I was here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville