Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 07:35 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,093,586 times

Advertisements

Hello all, just moved here the weekend of the flood so never spent a Fall here. Starting to see some 'color' and wanted to take my dear old Mom on a little drive to see the leaves and have lunch. I don't mind driving an hour or 90 minutes, lunch, and then back. Any thoughts?

I've done part of the Natchez Trace and although pretty, I have to confess it makes me a bit car sick. Do I go East or West on 40? Down to Chattanooga? I'd prefer not to be on 65 the whole way.

Thanks much . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 08:00 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,475,272 times
I'd head east towards the plateau, personally. There are several options, depending on what you want to do...here are 2 fall side-trips that I've taken "out-of-towners" on before and they really enjoyed it (both might be a little too much time for you, but well worth it in my opinion):

1. Lynchburg/Jack Daniel's Distillery. It's set in the hills of the Cumberland Plateau in Moore County and is very picturesque during the fall. Rural/pastoral landscape all around. Then you get to Lynchburg and the city is very tiny...like Mayberry from the Andy Griffith Show...a beautiful town square, very quaint, just a couple of blocks from the distillery. The distillery tour itself is very interesting, tells you the history of the company and takes you through the process of how they make their whiskey. It is a dry county so they do not allow tasting. I've taken 8-10 people down to Lynchburg, some drinkers, some not. All have really enjoyed the trip irregardless of their like or dislike of alcohol.

If you can, I suggest also getting reservations at Miss Mary Bobo's Restaurant. Very good southern food, served family-style. Don't be surprised if you can't get a reservation, though. They book weeks/months in advance sometimes.

There are 2 ways to get to Lynchburg, both are very pretty. Take I-24 towards Manchester/Chattanooga to exit 111 (TN Hwy 55) and follow it south through Tullahoma and straight into Lynchburg. This is probably slightly faster, but still very picturesque. I actually prefer this way. The second way is to take I-24 to Murfreesboro and get off at exit 81A (US Hwy 231) and follow it south through Shelbyville (and see all the Tennessee walking horse farms). Then get on Hwy 82...then Hwy 55 to Lynchburg. Either way will take you about 90 minutes one way. Plan to spend at least 3 hours at the distillery and Lynchburg.

2. Fall Creek Falls State Park in Spencer, TN...between Cookeville and Crossville. This will take a little longer but is really beautiful this time of year. You're firmly in the Cumberland Plateau at Fall Creek Falls. It's been awhile since I made the trip but it seems like it's about 2 hours or so. It might be a little far for what you're planning. Here is the park's website if that helps. Without a doubt, the gem of the state's park system and a very beautiful place to visit.

A couple other options...Montgomery Bell State Park west of Nashville in Dickson is pretty...or you could stay in town and visit Radnor Lake and then maybe drive out to Leipers Fork to view the scenery.

Really, there's fall beauty all around this area. You almost can't go wrong in any direction.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:49 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,748,189 times
Just driving through Percy Warner Park would probably be pretty nice at peak color. Though we're not at peak color yet.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:42 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,093,586 times
This post is from last fall, and thanks to Don for his suggestions! Any other drive and lunch ideas? I read about someplace in Thompson's Station to eat but it's closed on Monday. Maybe a Grille? Thompson's Station Grille? Looking for a pretty drive and lunch, again . . . .

Thinking this week will be peaky???

Any thoughts about driving NORTH instead of south???

Thanks all and happy leaf peeping!

Old 10-16-2011, 02:17 PM

933 posts, read 2,743,322 times
I second Fall Creek Falls. We camped there last year. Really beautiful when the leaves start turning.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:00 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,475,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
This post is from last fall, and thanks to Don for his suggestions! Any other drive and lunch ideas? I read about someplace in Thompson's Station to eat but it's closed on Monday. Maybe a Grille? Thompson's Station Grille? Looking for a pretty drive and lunch, again . . . .

Thinking this week will be peaky???

Any thoughts about driving NORTH instead of south???

Thanks all and happy leaf peeping!
Anytime. I'm actually heading down to Lynchburg this weekend for the BBQ festival...should be a beautiful drive.

I'm not familiar with Thompson's Station...but it seems like the kind of area that would have some great foliage.

As far as north goes...you might head up to Whites Creek on I-24 and dine at The Farmhouse at Fontanel. Or if you have kids, take them up to Honeysuckle Hill Farm in Springfield/Joelton.

Another thought would be to drive up to Goodlettsville on I-65 and get off at Long Hollow Pike. Long Hollow Pike is a pretty country road that goes up hills and down into valleys...lots of pretty foliage. Take LHP all the way to Gallatin (about a 15-20 minute drive). Maybe get on the bypass back down to Hendersonville and eat there.

2 final thoughts: I-65 to Millersville, turn left and then right to get on Highway 41...this takes you through Ridgetop, Greenbriar, and eventually Springfield. Very rural, hilly. Lots of places to eat in Springfield. Or if you prefer the meat and 3 type of places there's 2 in Greenbriar: Highway 41 Cafe and Sammy's. Both are across the street from one another on 41.

And also you might consider driving up through Clarksville Highway to Ashland City.

Hope that helps. Take pictures and post them here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville