Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2011, 06:42 PM

3 posts, read 6,910 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are excited to be moving to Nashville at the beginning of the year. The main area I am looking to move to would have good schools. Our price range for a home is under $160k, and I have a 9 and 10 year old daughters. Hendersonville and Murfreesboro seem like options, does anyone have any other opinions of good school districts? I don't mind living in Nashville proper, but I want to make sure the schools are good.

We would like either a finished basement with 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms.

Also, my two daughters are Bi-racial, we adopted them. Will we run into any issues other a mean kid here and there in any areas?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 11:16 PM

215 posts, read 682,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neile45 View Post
I don't mind living in Nashville proper, but I want to make sure the schools are good.
While both locations have good schools, many others on here will probably recommend Hendersonville's first due to their performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neile45 View Post
Also, my two daughters are Bi-racial, we adopted them. Will we run into any issues other a mean kid here and there in any areas?
It's very unlikely you'll experience any serious problems in either area.

Last edited by goodman2; 10-26-2011 at 11:56 PM.. Reason: Wanted To Change Something

Old 10-27-2011, 07:33 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,844,358 times
Hendersonville is a great place. It was ranked as one of the top 10 cities in the nation for quality of life in 2009 by Family Circle Magazine. You can definitely find some homes for 160 and under but just be aware that these will probably be older homes in older parts of the city.

Hendersonville is much closer to Nashville than Murfreesboro and offers a much easier commute. It's also more suburban than Murfreesboro. Murfreesboro has suburban areas but its also a fairly large city (around 100k now I think) with a major university and large commercial districts. Hendersonville is only around 50k.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:58 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,473,389 times
You can also find homes in the 150s-160s in the Station Camp/Long Hollow Pike area of Hendersonville...in the Station Camp school district...I'm thinking of subdivisions like Stonecrest and Creekside specifically. They will be in the low-end of those neighborhood's price ranges but they are out there. Unfortunately, both neighborhoods are slab-homes I believe and don't have basements. In fact, most new subdivisions today seem to be on slab rather than basements. Most importantly for the kids, though, is that the Station Camp cluster is very well regarded. I would definitely consider looking in north Hendersonville right at the Gallatin border...newer homes, relatively low prices and great schools. Search www.realtracs.com under Sumner County and search further by your price range and sort by High School: Station Camp.

That's not to say you can't find what you're looking for elsewhere in Hendersonville...certainly you can, but I think there's greater volume in that pricerange on the north side in my experience.

As far as ethnicity concerns go, I don't think you'll encounter many problems at all. In my Hville neighborhood we have a fairly diverse representation of families...African American, bi-racial, Indian, Asian. It's still predominately caucasian, but your children will definitely not be the only bi-racial kids in school or anything like that.

Finally, I don't mean to not comment on Murfreesboro...it certainly is an attractive area too, but I live in Hville so I figured I'd chime in there...perhaps others from the 'Boro can fill in the gaps.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:25 AM

3 posts, read 5,732 times
I've lived all around middle Tennessee and lived in Murfreesboro for 4 years because of school. It's a really nice area. I think it is a good place to raise a family but there are a lot of students there. I wouldn't really move over by the campus (MTSU) and the surrounding area due to student housing and apartments. If you are considering looking there I would stay in the Cason Lane area or Church Street area. There are really nice houses and neighborhoods there!

You should also check into Franklin, Tennessee. It's pretty nice there too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville