Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,265 times

Advertisements

Hello I am considering a relocation for work to Nashville. I work in the Franklin area and wanted to know a little about some good areas to live. I am coming from a great south suburb of Chicago and want the same here in Nashville that will provide great school districts and diversity. My wife has done some research on Lavergne and Donelson, are there any other the areas that aren't rural that I can consider?

Also how are the winters here?

Thanks in advance for all your help here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 11:26 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,092,819 times
Winters are great! December, January . . and I think the flowers start blooming in late February? Not much snow but things shut down here with just a half an inch. Not many plows or sanding trucks. Gets cold but not bitter.

I don't know anything about Lavergne or Donelson as am a recent transplant BUT the long time posters will ask if you want to buy or rent, what your budget is. Generally, the schools are better in Williamson County. Unless you want to send your kids to private schools?

The more info you give, the better the answers. You need a yard or you want to be closer to the 'action' of any given neighborhood? How old are your kids???

Chicago is COLD. Have been snowed in there on more than one occasion . . . great city though! It will seem much slower here, I am guessing.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:34 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,845,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCSR View Post
Hello I am considering a relocation for work to Nashville. I work in the Franklin area and wanted to know a little about some good areas to live. I am coming from a great south suburb of Chicago and want the same here in Nashville that will provide great school districts and diversity. My wife has done some research on Lavergne and Donelson, are there any other the areas that aren't rural that I can consider?

Also how are the winters here?

Thanks in advance for all your help here.
I would definitely not recommend LaVergne.
Donelson has a few nice areas but it is part of Nashville and suffers from its school system.

I would check out Brentwood, Franklin, Hendersonville, and Mt Juliet. Those are some of the most popular suburban communities and all have good schools.

Smyrna and Gallatin are also good options for more diverse suburbs.

Winters are a mixed bag. Snow was in the forecast today but it was 70+ on Saturday, lol.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:43 PM

86 posts, read 210,858 times
Brentwood and Franklin would be your best bets. Commutes from either Hendersonville or Mt. Juliet would be hellish if you're working in Franklin.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:01 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,549,236 times
if you are working Franklin, I'd look in Franklin or Brentwood if I have a decent budget. If you are on a tighter budget, I'd look in Spring Hill (on the Williamson County side).

Old 12-05-2011, 01:04 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,337,820 times
You might try just north of Brentwood in Davidson County. It's generally more affordable than Brentwood/Franklin, and there's more diversity in the school system. The elementary school (Granberry) is great. Not sure about the middle school. The high school (Overton) varies based on opinions/perspectives.

Overall, Williamson County Schools are going to be you best bet when it comes to performance/ranking/reputation...but they're not going to be especially diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville