Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 05:57 PM

72 posts, read 144,316 times

Advertisements

So, I received a ticket yesterday for what the cop said was rolling a stop sign. So, alas, I have my first ticket since moving to Franklin and my first ticket in 10 years. In Chicago, you were provided a lot of options by mail. You could opt to have it removed from your record by attending traffic school. Check that option, send a check and do your class online. It seems that things are a bit different down here. It says that court is at 7:30am and that if you want traffic school, you must appear in court. Here are my questions:

If I go to court, what are the chances of getting traffic school? Does traffic school mean it is off my record? Does anyone know the cost? Can you do it online?

If I just pay the fine, how long will it be on my record?

If it is on my record, and I were to get another ticket in the future, what are the rules on suspension, etc.

Thank you to anyone that can help!

Kristin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 06:50 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
If you just want to pay the ticket and get out of it, you have to mail it in BEFORE your court date.

To get traffic school, you MUST have a good driving history and you have to go to court. Since you haven't had a ticket in 10 years, you should be good. Traffic court only meets 2 days a week.

I'm not sure about how long it's on your record etc. But traffic school is not that bad. The instructor was funny. I actually enjoyed it and got a lot less lax about my driving habits.

Franklin is harsh on rolling through stop signs. Also, in Franklin don't cross over a white solid line, like don't cross a white line and drive in the "shoulder" lane if you're turning right onto a side street. They are sticklers for that also.

City of Franklin : Municipal Court

Old 01-11-2012, 08:21 PM

163 posts, read 582,964 times
When I got a ticket in 2003, I mailed in my check and it stayed on my record for 4 years, I believe. That was my last ticket.

Good luck!

Old 01-12-2012, 06:25 AM

584 posts, read 1,136,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Franklin is harsh on rolling through stop signs. Also, in Franklin don't cross over a white solid line, like don't cross a white line and drive in the "shoulder" lane if you're turning right onto a side street. They are sticklers for that also.

Don't speed INSIDE a subdivision in Franklin, either. Police officers regularly pull people over there.

PS: I saw more police officers watching traffic yesterday than I have ever seen in one errand. Was yesterday some special day? There were three or four on I-65 going toward Nashville from Franklin, one just before the McEwan exit going south. There was one watching Mack Hatcher and there were THREE at different points (forming a giant triangle, across the streets from one another) watching the intersection of Mack Hatcher and Cool Springs Blvd.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:07 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,633,731 times
Another big one in Franklin- U-turns all never allowed.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:19 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,473,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Also, in Franklin don't cross over a white solid line, like don't cross a white line and drive in the "shoulder" lane if you're turning right onto a side street. They are sticklers for that also.

I've got a coworker that got nabbed for that not once, but twice in a few months on Mack Hatcher someplace. She fought the ticket in court and claimed she didn't do it, but as the song goes...the law won. It's rarely a good idea to fight those things unless you've got concrete proof of your innocence.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:41 AM

627 posts, read 1,846,807 times
Franklin cops have nothing better to do than to police rolling stop signs, U-turns and people trying to keep traffic moving by using the shoulder a little bit to turn.

I guess that speaks well for the crime rate, huh?

Old 01-12-2012, 09:35 AM

79 posts, read 241,849 times
We moved from OK to TN a little more than a year ago and for sure see cops pulling over A LOT more than OK. It could be that they're more active and that's good but I always see it as a side-effect of not having State Income Tax. Well at least you can control this.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:41 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,871 times
property taxes are low in Franklin because of all the revenue we generate from traffic tickets.

I'm thankful the one time I got pulled over for speeding the officer took pity on me and just gave me a warning

Old 01-12-2012, 11:45 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Police officers here are not part-time tax collectors.

Franklin's main source of revenue is the sales tax. Property taxes are low because officials have declined to raise it over the years under the short-sighted belief that retail and residential growth would increase forever.

You can read all about where Franklin gets its money in the city's budget, which is posted online.

It even says that fewer traffic citations have been issued, in the section on municipal court.

http://franklintn.gov/modules/ShowDo...ocumentid=7881

Brentwood lost revenue as traffic citations decreased. (p.74)
https://brentwood-tn.org/Modules/Sho...ocumentid=2332

Just because you see a lot of cops out one particular weekend does not mean they're out "making money."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: