Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 12:09 PM

24 posts, read 53,212 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I applied for a job at the VA there in Nashville. Fingers crossed! I probably would just find an apartment to begin with and worry about finding a house once I'm a little more settled in. My question is how is the area around the VA? You know as far as crime, decent pricing, etc? What are the better parts of Nashville to live in? Preferably closer to the VA? I'm just not one of these people who likes to deal with long commutes. 15-20 minutes max is about my limit. Can you help me out? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 01:24 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
The VA hospital is basically in the middle of the Vanderbilt University campus. It's a great area, but very competitive and, consequently, pretty expensive.

What is your rental budget?

Old 08-06-2012, 01:33 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
The VA hospital in Nashville is located right in the middle of Vanderbilt University's campus in the area referred to generally as "West End" (West End Avenue is the main thoroughfare).

That area is generally higher-rent than other parts of town...but that's not to say you won't be able to find something in your budget. It would be helpful to know what kind of budget you're operating with so we can help guide you.

That said, I would begin a search by looking in the Vanderbilt/West End area...there are a number of apartments and condos in this area for rent since it has a high density of college students and young professionals. I would also look near Belmont University and Hillsboro Village which is pretty much the same area as Vanderbilt but a little further south. 12South (12th Avenue South) is a popular area that would be a quick commute. Green Hills would also offer a very short commute and should give you some apartment options...but this area is fairly expensive.

Further out and a little more affordable (but pushing your commute to 20 minutes) is Bellevue. You might also find something in the Davidson County side of Brentwood.

Hope that helps...

Old 08-06-2012, 02:54 PM

Looking on the map, Hillsboro Village looks pretty promising. How is Melrose just to the east of that? Brentwood down I-65 doesnt look too bad. But how is rush hour traffic on that portion? How is acutally real estate prices in these areas. I could definitely do a 20 minute commute if I felt I could find a good home in a decent area. Apartment wise I'd probably be comfortable paying at most $700 a month. But it doesnt need to be anything spectacular. Just clean and safe. My income is $72,000. Looking at alot of the cost of living calculators Nashville is actually cheaper than the small 15,000 town I live in up here in South Dakota. Most of that may have to do with housing difference. Real estate prices up here in Pierre are insane. Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming if you have more!

Old 08-06-2012, 03:37 PM

914 posts, read 1,982,701 times
For a house in Hillsboro Village you could probably plan on paying $325-450,000 for a 3/2 and $450,000-1 million (depending on size and finishes) for a 4/2. You could probably enter the low end condo market in that area for $175,000 or so. There are several 2BR condos and townhomes available along West End Ave for $200-$250,000.

12South is between Hillsboro Village and Melrose and will be a little more affordable than Hillsboro Village. Melrose should be even more affordable still. There's also an area near the VA around Edgehill Village (centered on Villa Pl and Edgehill) that offers similar price points to 12South for the renovated houses. Both Edgehill Village and 12South have some renovated housing stock and some that haven't been renovated. For un-renovated houses prices are half of what a renovated house will cost, although developers and flippers snatch these houses up pretty quickly.

Brentwood on the Davidson County side will provide a lower price point for you, and typically more square footage. It's obviously further out, so traffic will be more of an issue. For the most part, Brentwood will not be walkable at all. With all of the other neighborhoods you would be within a 5-10 minute walk of restaurants and shops. You'd also be a very short drive to downtown or the Green Hills Mall area.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:26 PM

All those are well out of my price range.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post
For a house in Hillsboro Village you could probably plan on paying $325-450,000 for a 3/2 and $450,000-1 million (depending on size and finishes) for a 4/2. You could probably enter the low end condo market in that area for $175,000 or so. There are several 2BR condos and townhomes available along West End Ave for $200-$250,000.

12South is between Hillsboro Village and Melrose and will be a little more affordable than Hillsboro Village. Melrose should be even more affordable still. There's also an area near the VA around Edgehill Village (centered on Villa Pl and Edgehill) that offers similar price points to 12South for the renovated houses. Both Edgehill Village and 12South have some renovated housing stock and some that haven't been renovated. For un-renovated houses prices are half of what a renovated house will cost, although developers and flippers snatch these houses up pretty quickly.

Brentwood on the Davidson County side will provide a lower price point for you, and typically more square footage. It's obviously further out, so traffic will be more of an issue. For the most part, Brentwood will not be walkable at all. With all of the other neighborhoods you would be within a 5-10 minute walk of restaurants and shops. You'd also be a very short drive to downtown or the Green Hills Mall area.
Wow, starting to comb through real estate sites and I see what you mean. I just can't afford what you have posted. I was thinking somewhere around $100,000 max so this definitely bursts my bubble. Guess I better be expecting to do a whole lot more commuting if I want something in my range.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:27 PM

How's the Antioch, Harding Place, fairlane park area? I've found a few condos in that area that are very affordable and of course look fabulous one the realtor websites. About 9 miles from the VA. How is rush hour traffic in Nashville?

Old 08-07-2012, 06:15 PM

Default Commute time from Priest Lake Resorvior to VA hospital

Does anyone know what the average commute time might be from the Priest Lake/Nashboro Blvd area by Priest Lake to the VA hospital on the west end. I've found some really nice condos in the area. The drive looks like it might be a P.I.A.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:45 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maintainin View Post
Does anyone know what the average commute time might be from the Priest Lake/Nashboro Blvd area by Priest Lake to the VA hospital on the west end. I've found some really nice condos in the area. The drive looks like it might be a P.I.A.
Yep, that drive would be a pain.

I had a friend who worked at Vandy, and he rented at Richland Creek apartments. Close enough to work, but affordable. There will be traffic, but not nearly as bad as the other areas you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville