Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2007, 10:25 AM

129 posts, read 227,020 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

My wife and I fell in love with Nashville, the culture and lush landscape compared to Texas. We may be thinking of a move in late Spring.

Is there anybody here working in Information Technology and how is the availability of jobs in this field?

Someone mentioned that Dell computers may be located there but, I would prefer to bypass the large corporations if I can help it. I'm looking for a position in Technical Support or Network Administration for some smaller organizations possibly supporting the music industry or similar.
Thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 04:37 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,546,355 times
try the healthcare industry too.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:40 AM

250 posts, read 1,014,518 times
You shouldn't have any problem finding that kind of work...check out Robert Half Co...they are IT recruiters and have several openings...there are other IT recruiters here as well that can help.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:11 PM

3 posts, read 6,804 times
Default Nashville IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
try the healthcare industry too.
Use recruiters as a last resort in Nashvegas. Trust me. They are like marketers. They ***** themselves for money only. BUTTT If you just search worknashville.com careerbuilder.com monster or any of the others you can find work, use the recruiters as a last resort or your going to be working as a contractor for 3 to 6 months before getting health benefits and with the plethora of healthcare companies in nashville you shouldn't have any problems searching for work. Hit me up if you have any other questions or if interested in a Support Services position let me know and I'll throw the resume at my boss.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:31 AM

438 posts, read 1,360,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachguest View Post
Use recruiters as a last resort in Nashvegas. Trust me. They are like marketers. They ***** themselves for money only. BUTTT If you just search worknashville.com careerbuilder.com monster or any of the others you can find work, use the recruiters as a last resort or your going to be working as a contractor for 3 to 6 months before getting health benefits and with the plethora of healthcare companies in nashville you shouldn't have any problems searching for work. Hit me up if you have any other questions or if interested in a Support Services position let me know and I'll throw the resume at my boss.

not trying to hijack the thread but my husband said to say thank you for the information in your post. He is going back to school this fall to pursue his bachelors in computer science/information technology and was starting to think Robert Half et al were the only way to get entry level IT jobs in Tennessee.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:26 AM

501 posts, read 1,064,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raziel View Post
Greetings,

My wife and I fell in love with Nashville, the culture and lush landscape compared to Texas. We may be thinking of a move in late Spring.

Is there anybody here working in Information Technology and how is the availability of jobs in this field?
I live in Nashville and work in IT for the state. The IT market here is average. With the economy the way it is, I'd say you'd have a lot of competition applying for a job here. We have recently had two open positions and received around 200 resume submissions for these 2 positions. I know that's just anecdotal, but it's what I've personally seen. It's appears that a lot of people are looking to change jobs for various reasons.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:48 AM

177 posts, read 792,797 times
Jzer21, of those 200, how many were new graduates and how many were actually qualified for the position? I've seen times when looking for someone with 5 years experience when I got 100 resumes from new grads and 10 from people who actually had 5 years of experience.

Also, where were the positions advertised? 200 would be a lot for responses to Craigslist but it would be insignificant on Monster or CareerBuilder.

You also imply that the respondents were mostly employed already ("looking to change jobs"). If so, this would mean there would be a new job opening when they left their other position. This would obviously be much better than if they were all unemployed looking for work.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:29 PM

215 posts, read 712,781 times
Vanderbilt.edu have a few IT openings right now in LAN admin. I know that a couple of them though require a CCNA certification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville