Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 10:35 AM

91 posts, read 131,264 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My family is considering a move to the Nashville area. We have 2 young kids and are coming from an area with good schools, so the quality of public schools is very important to us as is the racial tolerance within the schools as we are a bi racial family. We have been told that Brentwood and Franklin (in Williamson county) have nice schools but I was looking for information on some of the lesser known towns like Spring Hill, Nolensville and Thompson's Station. Does anyone have insight on those schools. I know part of Spring Hill goes to Summit High which is new. Any feedback on that would be nice too.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 02:06 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,871 times
the areas you listed are all growing pretty rapidly. I wouldn't buy anything now thinking your high school zoning would be the same (except maybe Tollgate Village will always be zoned to Independence since they are next door). There will inevitably be more rezoning in 2 years when the new high school in Nolensville.

The other thing to worry about is have they planned the infrastructure for the rapid growth in the area. Franklin does a pretty good job but it is still lacking. I'm not sure about Nolensville/Spring Hill/Thompson Station

Old 02-02-2013, 02:56 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
The other thing to worry about is have they planned the infrastructure for the rapid growth in the area. Franklin does a pretty good job but it is still lacking. I'm not sure about Nolensville/Spring Hill/Thompson Station
I think you're spot on about Franklin. Franklin still has some issues, but they've been big enough for long enough where they generally know what they're doing. They at least know how to plan.

Spring Hill "planning" is a total joke. The town grew too much too fast, and is stuck with small town infrastructure, small town leadership, and big town needs. In short, I don't think anyone in the Spring Hill leadership has any idea on how to run a town of 30,000+.

Thompson's Station & Nolensville -- the jury is still out. Both are still pretty small, but they each grew by quite a bit in the last decade. Thompson's Station seems to have more of a "resist grow, remain small" attitude, though they curiously have allowed Mars Petcare to start on an $80 million campus near 840. Nolensville will likely have issues in the coming years if they aren't proactive. They need the state to complete the 4/5 lane extension of 31/41A into the city, and then build a bypass of "downtown" (think of a mini Mack Hatcher). I'm not sure if they've done it, but Nolensville needs to make sure the right of way through town (except for downtown) is wide enough for a 5 lane road. Thompson's Station needs to at least explore the idea of widening 31 from 840 towards their Spring Hill border.

I foresee a tax hike in Spring Hill's future. They are (supposedly) in the process of widening a few roads...but they have to acquire a lot of land, and deal with a lot of different property owners in order to do it. By the time they get it done, I'm just going to go out on a limb and say that it will already be woefully inadequate. Spring Hill is larger than Lebanon, but Lebanon easily has 10x the road infrastructure.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:00 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Spring Hill and Thompson Station, especially in the Heritage and Spring Station middle school zones, both have many non-white and interracial families. Where once Spring Hill was a tiny country town, the influx of GM employees from Michigan over the years has brought a population boom.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:33 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,230 times
You asked about tolerance for your bi-racial family. While I think you will find tolerance south of Nashville, I am not so sure you are going to find a warm, welcoming environment. That part of the country is very 'white'. I am not trying to be critical of your family or of the south Nashville suburbs, just trying to be honest about the culture.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:15 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
You asked about tolerance for your bi-racial family. While I think you will find tolerance south of Nashville, I am not so sure you are going to find a warm, welcoming environment. That part of the country is very 'white'. I am not trying to be critical of your family or of the south Nashville suburbs, just trying to be honest about the culture.
I think it depends on how the family fits with the culture of the area. Just because an area is overwhelmingly white doesn't mean it is intolerant towards biracial families. I think socioeconomic status is a more important factor than race in Williamson County. That's not to say it's a guarantee that you wouldn't get any looks or comments...but I would be surprised if it happened much at all.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:04 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
There was an article in the paper today about Nolensville - mostly about real estate I think but interesting . . . .

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...room-community

Old 02-03-2013, 06:40 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I think it depends on how the family fits with the culture of the area. Just because an area is overwhelmingly white doesn't mean it is intolerant towards biracial families. I think socioeconomic status is a more important factor than race in Williamson County. That's not to say it's a guarantee that you wouldn't get any looks or comments...but I would be surprised if it happened much at all.
I didn't say the area would be intolerant, in fact, I said they would be tolerant for the most part. I just don't think they are going to roll out the red carpet and I don't necessarily think Williamson County will be the most warm and welcoming environment in the Nashville area toward a bi-racial family.

Having said that, I think if they fit into the predominantly anglo culture of the area (socio-economic and behavioral) I think they will be accepted for the most part. Again, I said I think the majority of people will be tolerant but probably not warm and welcoming. I agree though it will depend most on their desire to fit in.

I think it is great to paint Williamson county as a wonderful, welcoming and affordable place to live where everyone can find utopia. Obviously no one wants to be discouraging to those that are looking for a great place to raise their family. The reality is Williamson County isn't all those things. It is an expensive place to live and it is welcoming if you fit into the predominant culture. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. It is a big reason I am drawn to the area.

I just think it is important to be honest with people looking to relocate their family at the expense of potentially hurting some feelings. If you think you might not be able to afford to live in Franklin, you probably can't afford it. If you're concerned that you might be outcast for one reason or another, you probably will be.

That's not to say that there aren't exceptional, affordable places to raise a family in the Nashville area. All I am saying is that Williamson County isn't a perfect fit for everyone.

Last edited by bspray; 02-03-2013 at 06:48 PM..

Old 02-03-2013, 09:03 PM

24 posts, read 53,096 times
We're an african american family that moved to Spring Hill (Williamson cty side) from NYC six months ago. My kids are adjusting well and finding it easy to make friends, there are alot of mixed children more in elementary and high school than middle for some reason. Most of the people in our subdivison are from out of state, everyone is friendly for the most part, I see some confederate flags but haven't had any negative experiences. I think you get what you put out there, wherever you are.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:34 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSMEMRSJ View Post
We're an african american family that moved to Spring Hill (Williamson cty side) from NYC six months ago. My kids are adjusting well and finding it easy to make friends, there are alot of mixed children more in elementary and high school than middle for some reason. Most of the people in our subdivison are from out of state, everyone is friendly for the most part, I see some confederate flags but haven't had any negative experiences. I think you get what you put out there, wherever you are.
Are you sure that isn't the Tennessee state flag?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville