Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 10:05 PM

7 posts, read 14,927 times

Advertisements

My family and I are planning to move to the Brentwood area soon. We are pretty much focused on the East side of Brentwood near Crockett Park. I've heard that redshirting is common in Brentwood but I'm trying to figure out how common. I have an 8 year old that was born in July and is currently in 3rd grade. He is small for his age and easily intimidated. He's had a rough go at school the past couple of years - not academically, but emotionally it seems he is white knuckling it. I'm afraid that if he's in school with kids more than a year older than him it will be a bad experience for him.

Can anyone tell me what percentage of kids, boys in particular are held back in school. How wide is the age range and how do the schools handle it? I've spoken with a Principal at one school who told me they would not put him back a year since he has already started school. I'm wondering if I need to send him to a private school for the flexibility. Help!

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 10:52 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Redshirting?

Old 03-13-2013, 04:31 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
The data from my school (in Franklin) is that 27% of the kids could be a grade higher based on age.

Redshirting is a huge problem and one they really need to address. I did the K tour with my youngest last months and there were GIRLs born in March/April who were being red-shirted. I can't think of any reason for any child to be starting K at 6.5.

I started school in a district that had a 12/31 cut off and moved to a district in 4th grade with a 9/30 cut off. I also had the "good fortune" of being in the grade that was the first grade to go through pre-1st (grade btwn K and 1st) and everyone that year went. I was over a year younger than almost all of my classmates (basically only kids who transfered into the district were close to my age). I'm not going to lie middle school was rough (I also went through puberty on the late side) but I had a good group of friends from girl scouts and swimming which made it all right. Academically I was fine (highest track).

Old 03-13-2013, 05:51 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
It does happen, but I can't tell you a percentage. Based on what I know about our classmates, I would say it is about the same as what Septimus reported.

I did it with all three of my boys, but there are plenty of 8-year-olds in third grade here. In the schools on the east side of town, there are kids whose parents have moved here from all over the US and the world, and there is a wide range of ages and abilities. Kenrose Elementary, for example, is the most ethnically diverse school in the county, with some children who are very young in their grade and some who are certified gifted.

In other words, he won't be the ONLY 8-year-old in his class.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:49 AM

7 posts, read 14,927 times
Do you think he will be the only 8 year old boy who is 8 the entire year? Also, how do they handle academics when so many kids are older? Do they differentiate instruction (break kids into groups by ability) or are they pretty much at the same level. I already see a big difference both academically and socially in a girl born in the Fall vs. a boy in the summer at my school where redshirting is not common so I can't imagine what it would be like having kids another 6 months to a year thrown in.

My son has done pretty well academically and socially, but emotionally he's pretty much white knuckling at school as he is. He won't go to the bathroom where the older kids are supposed to go because he's intimidated by them. I also find that he has a hard time organizing himself at the level expected in 3rd grade. I don't want to make him switch schools when we get there since moving will already be a big adjustment. Any thoughts on whether he would be better off in a multi-age private school?
I know that the Montessori school in Brentwood offers multi-age rooms. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of that school?

Thanks everyone!

Old 03-13-2013, 08:53 AM

44 posts, read 69,853 times
Hi! My suggestion is always doing what you know as a parent is best for your child. The school does not know your child, but you do. If you feel he should be held back,(and it sounds like you are probably right, based on your post), then find a school who agrees with you. My husband was one of the youngest in his grade, and as a result of that, we did not start our boys at 5 years old, but instead at six. That was our personal preference. Of course, homeschooling or private school give you much more options as a parent than the public school system, which is most certainly one size fits all.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieGeorge View Post
Do you think he will be the only 8 year old boy who is 8 the entire year? Also, how do they handle academics when so many kids are older? Do they differentiate instruction (break kids into groups by ability) or are they pretty much at the same level. I already see a big difference both academically and socially in a girl born in the Fall vs. a boy in the summer at my school where redshirting is not common so I can't imagine what it would be like having kids another 6 months to a year thrown in.

My son has done pretty well academically and socially, but emotionally he's pretty much white knuckling at school as he is. He won't go to the bathroom where the older kids are supposed to go because he's intimidated by them. I also find that he has a hard time organizing himself at the level expected in 3rd grade. I don't want to make him switch schools when we get there since moving will already be a big adjustment. Any thoughts on whether he would be better off in a multi-age private school?
I know that the Montessori school in Brentwood offers multi-age rooms. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of that school?

Thanks everyone!
No he won't be. When my kids played soccer (which has a 8/1 cutoff) there were 2 boys (on a team of 12 or so) who were a grade higher than DS and 2 boys who were a grade lower (they'd be red shirted).

My august boy started school on time at 5. There is an end of june boy in his class (also started at 5) and 2 girls who started K at 4 and turned 5 a week or two later. However there are boys who will turn 8 before the end of the end of the school year (1st grade) in his class too. It seems we were going to a lot of b-days in Aug/September in general. I know of 2 boys in his class that are Aug. b-day that both turned 7 at start of 1st grade.

The montessori academy has a reputation of not being a "real montessori" among some of the other montessori schools. They were uniforms. Montessori might be a good choice for him, but I'd look probably at Akiva (most expensive), Montessori School of Franklin or the new Montessori on Sneed (Holy something) for an elementary montessori program.

The teachers in WCS are good a differentiating instruction. There are kids in my son class who are clearly gifted (not just advanced because they are older) and there are kids who are truly struggling and the teacher seems to meet the needs of all of them. Also I appreciate that my school has recently been telling parents who think their kids are "gifted" no they just need to be with kids their own age and should be moved up to the appropriate grade.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:45 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
All 3 of mine are Spring/summer birthdays, and all of them have started on time.
My oldest is small and is going through puberty late (or maybe on time, but seems later since he's on the younger side), but he's a great kid who very comfortable with who he is. I think we would have done him a huge disservice to have held him back.

My daughter(summer birthday) will occassionally complain that all of her friends with summer birthdays are a whole year older than her. I ask her if she would prefer to be in a lower grade, and she always says no. So I remind her those were our only 2 choices.

My youngest is an early summer birthday and after much deliberation, we are also starting him on time. His pre-K teacher thought we were nuts for even considering holding him back, but the red-shirting in Brentwood & the possible later puberty issue made us consider it. In the end, we did what we thought was best for each of our children based on them as individuals.

I would talk to your son. He's plenty old enough to be able to discuss what he wants to do. If he's having a hard time emotionally in his current grade, than this is a great time to hold him back since you're moving to a new city. But I would talk to his current teachers, talk to him, etc, and then arrive at the best decision for him.

Just as an FYI- One of my son's best friends has a late Sept. birthday and started on time. We've known him since 2nd grade, and throughout the years and even now in middle school, you would never guess he is younger than the other children. And we know another one who was held back who seems young even though he's older. It's really all about the individual child.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:30 PM

584 posts, read 1,136,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
The data from my school (in Franklin) is that 27% of the kids could be a grade higher based on age.
Where did you find that data / info?

For some kids it is not a big deal, academically, emotionally, etc, but it IS a big deal when that kid is the only one NOT driving and dating yet. When your same grade peers hit 16 and you're just 15, the gap presents some challenges.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anony-Momma View Post
Where did you find that data / info?

For some kids it is not a big deal, academically, emotionally, etc, but it IS a big deal when that kid is the only one NOT driving and dating yet. When your same grade peers hit 16 and you're just 15, the gap presents some challenges.
our principal put it in her newsletter last year. I think she was trying encourage people to send their kids to K on time becuase "not everyone is redshirting" but I interpreted it to mean basically every kid with a summer birthday must be being redshirted (assuming an even distribution of birthdates throughout the calendar year)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville