Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 06:38 PM

103 posts, read 295,568 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering relocating from NYC to Nashville. I am originally from the middle Tennessee area and would like to be closer to family. I would be working downtown and would love to keep the commute to about a half hour door to door. The long commute is part of why we are considering relocating. Our budget would be about $300,000 and for that we would prefer something 2300+ square feet. Schools are somewhat important but not vital, as our child is still under 2. I would prefer a subdivision or something with a neighborhood type feel. We've had quite enough of keeping up with the Joneses, so I think maybe not Brentwood or Franklin? I guess my ideal would be somewhere like Brentwood, but cheaper

Does this exist? Maybe Mount Juliet? Hermitage? Hendersonville? Madison? I know to stay away from Antioch, right? Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 07:04 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
I think the commute coming from Mt. Juliet and Murfreesboro look bad (at least from the traffic reports). f

There are some nicer subdivisions in Franklin that would meet your need. Maplewood comes to mind as it has easy highway access. Same for Buckingham. (I don't find Franklin too bad on the keep up with the Jones front--it is actually pretty diverse for suburb)

Old 03-31-2013, 07:13 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
30 minutes can be tough outside of Davidson County, depending on the time of day you need to leave. Especially since you say 'door to door.'

Traffic is getting progressively worse as the metro grows, so when one construction project finishes, another is long overdue to begin.

Your price point/square footage is pretty reasonable (if not a little generous in some areas). I think the big question is whether you are fine with Metro Nashville Public Schools, or would prefer an out of county system. If you're OK with Davidson County...Bellevue, Hermitage, and Granberry/Crieve Hall would be places to look. If you're looking out of county, I think your best options are Hendersonville and Mount Juliet. Brentwood would be stretching your price point, and most other places would be stretching your commute time. Franklin sort of pushes both, but it's a nice community and you might find it to be worth it.

As far as keeping up with the Joneses...it goes on in Brentwood/Franklin, but also in parts of Southwest Davidson and elsewhere in more upscale enclaves...but I unless you're ultra self conscious about it...I wouldn't worry about it. It's not a requirement in those areas, especially the more older established areas (that would be more in your price range, anyways)...may be more of a problem if you're looking at McMansions.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:56 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
I wouldn't rule out Franklin. I really love living here and have not yet met the Jones . . .

Here is a list of houses that fit your parameters (although I went a little bit higher in price - you alwyas negotiate)

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Search Results

I thought maybe McKays Mill would work but couldn't find anything that matches your price point/sq footage. There is a house in Fieldstone Farms which is an older established subdivision that has kept it's value and has lovely mature landscaping, two pools, walking paths, etc.

Best place to look is realtracs.com. Come visit! It's spring! (almost . . .)

Old 03-31-2013, 08:02 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,883 times
Check out the Sumner County Portion of Goodlettsville or the Mansker Farms subdivision in Hendersonville. These areas have the shortest commute on the north side while still having great school districts (non-Davidson Co).

Mansker Farms has a great neighborhood feel!

Old 04-03-2013, 07:41 AM

99 posts, read 230,109 times
Based on what you are describing, definitely check out Mansker Farms in Hendersonville.

My husband and I always go back and forth about moving from Hendersonville to Brentwood/Franklin, but every time we go to that area, we come across a person that makes us change our minds. We went to brunch with some friends on Easter Sunday in Brentwood. There were a few couples there we didn't know and as we were talking they asked us "So WHY would you choose to ever live in Hendersonville?" THen another "when are you moving from Hendersonville to a nice area?" and another "you pay more for gas in Brentwood then Hendersonville, but then again, why wouldn't you?" These comments alone are exactly WHY we stay in Hendersonville. We love it here, the people and the ambiance.
Please note, I in no way am saying this is inclusive behavior for Brentwood/Franklin residents. It just seems it happens frequently enough to not want to move there. We had more then enough of that Keeping up with Jones's and which suburb will garnish you the highest level of esteem while living in Chicago.
That said, I do love all Brentwood and Franklin offers in ways of amenities. We also have lots of lovely friends from that area.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:33 AM

225 posts, read 586,165 times
If you want amenities, Brentwood/Franklin area is your best bet. Not to say Hendersonville, Goodlettsville, etc, don't have their fair share of restaurants but if you are coming from the Big Apple, you would want to stay down I-65, south of downtown. I suggest the Granbery elementary school area is your child is 2 and you are open to the possibility of moving again in 8-10 years if you are not happy with the middle or high school in Davidson county. Granbery is an EXCELLENT school, along with Percy Priest, Julia Green, etc, but I recommend Granbery because it's a mid-way point between downtown and Franklin and just next door to Maryland Farms Brentwood.

The bottom line is that the Jones' wannabees are EVERYWHERE. I've seen it in Brentwood AND Murfreesboro. In the midst of these wannabees, you are going to find the folks who are just living life.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:13 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,251 times
Can you really get from Hendersonville or Franklin to downtown in 30 minutes? Keep in mind this is door to door - so walking out your front door and walking into your office.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:26 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I can't speak to Hendersonville.

In Franklin, it depends.

If you live in Founders Pointe or one of the subdivisions off Highway 96 West, then no. Just getting across Franklin would take 30 minutes during rush hour.

At 10 am on a weekday, probably.

I used to live near Mack Hatcher/Hwy 96 and would routinely get to Vanderbilt in 22 minutes on I-65, but that was at 9 am, not during rush hour.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:23 PM

225 posts, read 586,165 times
If you lived in McKay's Mill, etc, and didn't have to deal with traffic, then yes. Wmsn4Life is accurate in saying it would take about 30 minutes to get across Franklin during Rush hour
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville