Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 09:05 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,093,586 times

Advertisements

Noise complaints top the list of ALL neighbor complaints across the country. NYC has the highest number of complaints. There is a beagle next door who barks like crazy. I was going to get this bark sonar radar thing that you attach in YOUR yard, but it needs to have a direct line to the dog and we have fences. SWEET dog, but a 'barker'. There ARE bark collars.

I complained a LOT. To the HOA. To the pet owner. It's really the owner's fault for not letting the dog back in. Also, this dog barked all day long INSIDE the house which was also audible to all the very close neighbors.

Dog has finally calmed down.

There are also ordinances . . in Nashville it's 8.12.010. Also very specific laws about how you can tie up your dog (length of chain/weight/must have a swivel thingie . . . ). I would call Animal Control if the dog is chained up.

In Nashville the number is (615) 862 - 7928.

But, I TOTALLY understand. The thing is, know someone with 13 acres and you can STILL hear dogs barking and those ATV roaring through the woods . . .

"Silence is Golden" (The Four Seasons)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 06:25 PM

9 posts, read 11,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
I'm reviving this thread because I'm at my wit's end. Like the posts above, we owned 2 homes. First, let
me say that we always had a dog. Let them out in our yard, do their business and brought them in
when they were done. When we bought our first house we were young and naive. For 13 years in that
house there were dogs behind us that never stopped barking. It was so bad we couldn't sleep and
calling code enforcement didn't resolve the inconsiderate owners....so we moved. While searching for
our next house we would drive by at night and in the morning and it was quiet. Then new people
starting moving in and then they came with their barking dogs. Another 6 years of that and we left.
So for the time being we are renting and the complex was quiet. Now, here we go again. It's
driving me nuts. It's 28 degrees right now and some doofus has chained his dog outside his patio
and it won't stop barking plus the new neighbors below have a dog barks every time the chained dog does.
BTW, we did talk to the neighbors (nicely) but it didn't change a thing.
If a dog is barking there is a reason, either it's hungry, thirsty, cold or warning you someone is around.
Thanks for allowing me to vent. Will be searching for another place in the spring.
Please call animal control if the dog is still chained. It will be in the mid 20s tonight. I feel your pain about barking dogs. My neighbor is a real jerk with his dogs.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:39 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,229,400 times
^^^^I once worked for the Humane Society and yes, I would call in if someone was neglecting a dog (chaining a dog
outside due to cold or hot weather). However, if there is a dog house with bedding, food and water - there was
nothing they could do.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:16 AM

362 posts, read 645,999 times
I read this whole thread and feel like some comments could be my neighbor. She's mentioned something on Facebook about my dogs. Personally I think this is rude as her daughters scream at the top of their lungs in the pool ALL summer long. It's hard for me to enjoy my time out by the pool because the husband is blower crazy and even worse they blast their stereo with the same loop of pop music from 12:00-8:00 p.m practically everyday. They don't even turn it off if they go inside for awhile.

Now as far as barking dogs, I can see that bothering people. My own dog annoys me. In defense of people who own a barker (and this does not include neglect or abuse) dogs bark. Certain breeds are known barkers. I've tried everything to get him to stop. My girl who is same breed doesn't bark. It's as if he's screaming at anything and everything to get out of his yard. It's almost like a release of energy.
Now there is NO reason a dog should be left out in all weather extremes, all day, especially if they are barkers. To me that is neglect. I am upset when I hear dogs outside barking for more than 15 minutes.
My male dog barks when he goes out to the bathroom and that is never longer than 10 minutes. Now he does go crazy when the dog Nectoux door is out, but that is where I literally go outside and make him come in.

I don't think barking dogs would stop me from purchasing a house. I just recently went to see one of my fav homes in TN. We couldn't get into the house because the wood floors were being refinished, but we did go into the backyard. In the connecting yard there were three dogs, one big, two smaller and all barking. Did not bother me but I did momentarily think "oh boy, my MoJo will go crazy if he sees other dogs". It most definitely would be a bark Fest.
I would think dog owners would be more tolerant, especially if you own a barker.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:23 AM

If a dog is outside to do it's business for a short while, that's completely understandable if it's barking. However, anyone
who leaves a dog for long periods of time (day and night) without any thought for the neighbors is just being
inconsiderate to a fault. They are disturbing the entire neighborhood. .....and yes, there are other things that
goofy neighbors do - that are just as ill-mannered and rude.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:38 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
The way I see it, if an otherwise rational neighbor does approach you about something that "you or yours" is doing that disturbs them, you should do whatever you can to stop that disturbance.

As they say, your rights end where mine begin.

And your dog's rights end when I can hear him. LOL

Old 11-25-2013, 09:23 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,054,024 times
This thread got interesting...

Old 11-26-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The way I see it, if an otherwise rational neighbor does approach you about something that "you or yours" is doing that disturbs them, you should do whatever you can to stop that disturbance.
As they say, your rights end where mine begin.

And your dog's rights end when I can hear him. LOL
Exactly. I could also start another thread about the neighbors allowing their dogs to poop on my
property and once I lived next door not only to a on going barking dog but the back and front
yard reeked so bad in the summer, I would gag from that smell. Boy did we celebrate when they
moved.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:50 AM

362 posts, read 645,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Exactly. I could also start another thread about the neighbors allowing their dogs to poop on my
property and once I lived next door not only to a on going barking dog but the back and front
yard reeked so bad in the summer, I would gag from that smell. Boy did we celebrate when they
moved.
Why does the yard smell so much? Do they not clean up the poo?

Old 11-27-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi shots View Post
Why does the yard smell so much? Do they not clean up the poo?
That is correct. They NEVER scooped up the poop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: