Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 04:40 PM

3 posts, read 10,571 times

Advertisements

You're the best, thanks! Isn't Oak Park beautiful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 04:44 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,218,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPIL View Post
You're the best, thanks! Isn't Oak Park beautiful?
I edited my post just a bit.

Yes, I'd love to go back and walk around Oak Park again. The first time I was there there were remodeling Unity Temple. They had chipped part of the orginal concrete away. For a long time I had a paperweight made from a piece of the concrete I picked up.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:03 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
Quote:
Hi there -

My husband and I are thinking of making a change and moving to Nashville. We've heard such great things about the city - but we've never been there. Anyone know the Chicago-area well enough to recommend a comparable neighborhood as Oak Park or Evanston? Can anyone recommend a neighborhood that would compare in culture? Is there a great neighborhood to raise kids, good restaurants, shops, bars...Oh and good schools too. Have block parties...social, friendly and safe? (diverse would be nice too)

THANKS!
my wifes family is from Chicago. She went to school in north western. For something like Evanston I would say hillsborough village just outside of Vanderbilt Uni would be right up your alley. I love that area!

Old 12-04-2007, 10:55 PM

150 posts, read 619,987 times
Default Hillsboro Village

I will second the recommendation for Hillsboro Village if you like Evanston.

I lived in Chicago for a couple of years before moving to Nashville. We used to drive from our North Chicago neighborhood to Evanston regularly to go to the movie theater or restaurants there. Hillsboro Village has a similar feel--walkable and upscale.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:19 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol McCullough View Post
I will second the recommendation for Hillsboro Village if you like Evanston.

I lived in Chicago for a couple of years before moving to Nashville. We used to drive from our North Chicago neighborhood to Evanston regularly to go to the movie theater or restaurants there. Hillsboro Village has a similar feel--walkable and upscale.
North Chicago = great area! Old Orchard is my favorite open air mall in the country right now. With the weather Nashville has and the feel of the city they really need something like that.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:06 PM

940 posts, read 1,903,012 times
Quote:
Hi there -

My husband and I are thinking of making a change and moving to Nashville. We've heard such great things about the city - but we've never been there. Anyone know the Chicago-area well enough to recommend a comparable neighborhood as Oak Park or Evanston? Can anyone recommend a neighborhood that would compare in culture? Is there a great neighborhood to raise kids, good restaurants, shops, bars...Oh and good schools too. Have block parties...social, friendly and safe? (diverse would be nice too)

THANKS!
I grew up in Nashville in the 50's/60's and have lived there 3 times (now in Houston) My family moved to Arlington Heights in '68 the summer after my graduation. I spent 4 summers and semester breaks up there and had a girlfriend living at Sheridan and Diversey. Because of that girlfriend I got to know Chicago fairly well circa 1970. It's very much a stretch to compare the the two metros, not only because of the difference in population but also the difference in terrain. Chicago may have a spectacular lake but Nashville area has stunningly beautiful terrain, and many residential areas consequently are in a class by themselves. You won't find much if anything to remind you of Oak Park in terms of urban layout and architecture. If you're interested in architecture you can check out East Nashville with many old large and medium homes, maybe a few fixer-uppers are left but they are being depleted apparently.

If you are interested in residential areas embedded with natural beauty, take a drive out Hillsboro Rd. (which starts out as 21st ave, US 431 in town) As you approach Harding PL, Belle Meade township is to the right. Explore Harding PL for a couple miles both directions. Then go on further south on Hillsboro you will approach Tyne BL, explore this in both directions. As you keep making your way south on Hillsboro I recommend exploring Otter Creek Rd. and Old Hickory BL each direction, all the way east to Franklin Rd, this township is Forest Hills. Otter Creek is closed at Radnor Lake State NA during daylight hours, you can hike around the lake in the wooded hills ---beautiful. Back on Hillsboro Rd, keep on going south to Franklin, maybe stay at a B'n'B, take in the town -- nothing in Texas or IL remotely resembles this place. Then you can head back to the city on US 31 which becomes Franklin Rd. and you will pass through Brentwood, spend some time looking at neighborhoods here. Some are on wooded hilltops looking down on the village center, or overlooking wooded hollows. Summer foliage can block views from these hilltop neighborhoods. Keep on towards Nashville, Forest Hills is on your left, Curtiswood Ln is where the governors mansion is located. Very high end area.

I must plug my old section of West Meade specifically near the intersection of Brook Hollow and Jocelyn Hollow roads. This area was built in the '50s as a middle class area but since the lot sizes are from .5 ~ 2 acres, and many homes have been replaced or enlarged, the area has gotten to be expensive. Our house which went for $20K in '56 is now worth $450K on Zillow.com. This lovely area also hilly and wooded. Drive to the end of Jocelyn Hollow. Check out my beloved Currywood Dr. 'hood. Lastly check out Belle Meade boulevard, Chickering Rd, Page Rd. all in Belle Meade, and please visit Cheekwood (55 acre estate and botanical gardens -- Now I must get back to my employer's business)

Old 12-05-2007, 07:23 PM

3 posts, read 10,571 times
Thank you all very much. We are planning a trip in the Spring (wish it were sooner - expecting a few more inches of snow tonight). I really look forward to the trip and learning about Nashville. I'll take all of thins into consideration. Thanks again!

Old 12-06-2007, 12:13 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,218,216 times
Quote:
Thank you all very much. We are planning a trip in the Spring (wish it were sooner - expecting a few more inches of snow tonight). I really look forward to the trip and learning about Nashville. I'll take all of thins into consideration. Thanks again!
It can be really pretty in the spring when all the flower and trees are in bloom. It varies from year-to-year, but our "real spring" usually begins around the last part of March or the first part of April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville