Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 04:04 PM

16 posts, read 55,243 times

Advertisements

My s.o. and I are pretty serious about moving to Nashville late winter. We've received quite a bit of advice regarding good areas and areas to avoid. From what I've seen, everyone says to avoid Antioch. Is there a particular reason? I just haven't heard from anyone why it's so bad. Also, are there any areas (other than Antioch, I suppose ) you can imagine getting a 2 bedroom for under $1200/month?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 04:16 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,220,402 times
It's a little hard to explain about Antioch. Most places, even nice neighborhoods, have a certain "undesirable" element; people who steal, cause trouble, don't have jobs, do drugs, all sorts of things. Maybe it's 2% or 5% of the population. Unfortunately, for Antioch that percentage is much higher, so even if it's still only a small segment of the population that cause trouble, it makes everyone's life miserable . . . people are afraid to go walking at night, people wake up to find their car broken into, or their house, or their kids are offered drugs, etc. There's a lot of causes for the problem; but it's basically just like rich people liking to congregating in one or two areas, these kinds of people congregate in certain areas too. If someone's occupation is breaking into houses to support their drug habit they're not going to move to Belle Meade or Brentwood (generally), they move to a place like Antioch where they can find something.

We usually make a point of warning people from out-of-state about areas such as Antioch; it would be possible to find a nice street to live in Antioch, but it would be harder if you're not even familiar with the general area.

It's a shame to paint a whole area with the same brush, and there's many fine people in Antioch, but that's sort of the way it is. And, of course, my explanation is a bit simplistic.

I don't keep up with apartment rents, but I'm sure there's are many fairly nices places that rent for $1200 or less per month. I think there's even some out in Bellevue where I live. Bellevue is a pretty nice, low crime area.

Last edited by alleycat; 11-23-2007 at 04:26 PM..

Old 11-24-2007, 02:04 PM

150 posts, read 620,030 times
Default Antioch issues

The reason that I suggest that folks steer clear of Antioch has more to be with unrestrained and poor quality development than it does with crime. Crime ebbs and flows. Overdevelopment and poor development are more difficult to overcome in a long-term sense.

That said, there are still some parts of Antioch that are pleasant. Much like every other neighborhood, it depends on the specific street or subdivision.

Unfortunately, those nicer parts are more than likely going to have to contend with the traffic from several surrounding huge developments for which there is inadequate infrastructure to deal with the density.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:54 AM

9 posts, read 31,603 times
Gotta say that Carol hit it a bit more accurately when she said, "there are still some parts of Antioch that are pleasant. Much like every other neighborhood, it depends on the specific street or subdivision."

THAT is true...but isn't it for many, many areas?

I'm a good example of living in Antioch...I'm a single female that loves to run (yes, after dark) through my neighborhoods and even from my home to the gym. I've been living here in my home for almost a year and a half and have NEVER had ONE problem. Maybe I'm lucky?? Who knows? Either way, my point is that I feel very, very comfortable living here in the Antioch area!! It's not all THAT bad!

Now, dont get me wrong...I've heard stories of muggings at the local Wal-Mart at 11PM. But, hello, don't GO TO WAL-MART AT 11PM. That's asking for it. Anyway...hope my ranting and 'input' can help. Just know that for all of you with the 'taste' in your mouth that Antioch is so bad, know that there is plenty of nice, welcoming and safe homes to live in! Times do change...look at East Nashville!

Someone else can have my soapbox now...haha!

Old 11-29-2007, 10:58 AM

12 posts, read 37,556 times
I have a three bedroom HOME, not an apt., that is around that price that I'm buying. It's nearly 1,700 sq ft, all hardwoods, great dead end street/ neighborhood. You don't have to go to an apt. You're really wasting your hard earned money in rent.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:59 AM
kmw

25 posts, read 156,033 times
That's how I feel about Madison! There may be a few problem areas, but MANY nice neighborhoods...close to Rivergate...parks....and very reasonably priced homes. GREAT value, and I've never felt unsafe, either. It is a shame when people hear generalizations that are misleading.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:24 PM

112 posts, read 522,268 times
Ah Antioch....I had an apartment there before we bought out house in Rutherford County.

It's true what people say that there are nice areas and bad areas of it....however, it's quickly turning into more and more of a bad area. My thought is this: You're close to Rutherford County or Nolensville (in Williamson County) if you're in Antioch....so why not move out of Davidson County and pay lesser property taxes and live in an area that isn't being taken over by gangs? We save nearly 1000 bucks a year on property taxes alone for not being in Davidson County. Not only that, but I don't have to hear on the news every night about shots being fired in Antioch....

Now, I WILL say the apartment I lived in was very nice....and that area was pretty good....BUT, only a mile away was where it deteriorated, and quickly. So yeah, it's pretty spotty. The rule of thumb is if you're south of Bell Road, you're probably OK...north of there, watch out.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:45 AM

4 posts, read 23,719 times
I really don't think you'll have trouble finding a nice 2 BR apartment in a nice area for $1200 or less. I do not currently live in Nashville, but have in the past and have been trying to relocate there for many years (long story). I have kind of kept my finger on the pulse of N'ville, though others here can certainly give you more specific information than I can. The areas that I prefer are south: Brentwood, Cool Springs, Franklin and north east: Hendersonville, Galitin. (Bellvue is a nice area too). I was in Nashville about 2 weeks ago and picked up a couple real estate and rental guides. I saw many nice-looking apartments in the areas I like for much less than $1200. Also, real estate is quite afordable in TN so you may want to log onto Realtor.com and take a look. Good luck.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 10,573 times
Default Anyone in Nashville from Chicago?

Hi there -

My husband and I are thinking of making a change and moving to Nashville. We've heard such great things about the city - but we've never been there. Anyone know the Chicago-area well enough to recommend a comparable neighborhood as Oak Park or Evanston? Can anyone recommend a neighborhood that would compare in culture? Is there a great neighborhood to raise kids, good restaurants, shops, bars...Oh and good schools too. Have block parties...social, friendly and safe? (diverse would be nice too)

THANKS!

Old 12-04-2007, 04:38 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,220,402 times
Well, I've toured the Oak Park and Forest Park areas (I was an architectural student).

The older neighborhoods in the West End area would probably remind you a bit of Oak Park (although there's no Frank Lloyd Wright houses). And going by your list of wants, it wouldn't be a bad place to start looking. The Green Hills area would be like a newer Oak Park (maybe). There's also Franklin, Brentwood, and some other areas around that are nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville