Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2014, 12:48 AM

2 posts, read 2,619 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I am relocating from Los Angeles to Nashville next month. I've already put in an application on an apartment in downtown, so, unless something goes wrong, that's where I am going to be living -- at least for the first year. I have a few questions, however:

1. How safe is it to walk around downtown, especially at night? Are there any streets/areas I should avoid?

2. Where are the best grocery stores, convenience stores (like a 7-11) and restaurants in the downtown area?

3. Is the bus system a realistic way to get to other parts of Nashville (especially 12South, Music Row & Hillsboro)? I will be bringing my car, but if I can avoid the hassle of driving unfamiliar streets, that would be nice. I figure the traffic will be a breeze compared to the nightmare that is driving here in L.A., but the less of it I have to do, the better.

4. Where are the places locals go, that don't really draw a tourist crowd (restaurants, music venues, just places to hang)?

I'm moving to pursue my songwriting full-time (rather than the part-time basis I do it on now). Not a unique reason for moving to Nashville, right? But if anyone has any advice on how to work my way into the songwriting community there (other than going to NSAI events and just going to writers rounds/nights in general), I'd appreciate it!

Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 09:00 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,722,397 times
Argh...I had a long response almost finished and the screen flashed. Let's try this again.

1. I've walked from the War Memorial Auditorium back to the Batman Buildling a little after 10PM and felt OK walking alone (I'm female). There were still people on the street. North of Broadway is a little (lot) less busy at night but there are some hotels there. I wouldn't walk much later than that by myself in that direction. I'd stay away from up around the bus terminal. Broadway is always busy. Like any urban area, mind where you are. It's not downtown LA.

2. Grocery stores: HG Hill Market is right downtown. The Farmers Market is close, as is Kroger. The Turnip Truck is a market in the Gulch. There is a convenience store at 3rd and Church. There is also a Walgreens downtown in the Arcade.

Restaurants: Lots to choose from, but few good restaurants. Most are either lunch only or tourist based. The good news is that you are close to Germantown, the Gulch, 12South, Midtown and East Nashville! That said, here are some options downtown. These are all places that I've been to at least once (for some, that was more than enough) - Sportsman's Grille at the Hilton; Flying Saucer (between downtown and the Gulch); Bailey's Sports Grille; am@fm (Farmers Market - plus a number of other places there); Grillville Express (though it might have changed names); Demos; El Rey Mexican; Paradise Park (good burgers); Manny's House of Pizza (in the Arcade with a number of other lunch spots); Broadway Brewhouse; Kebab Gyro (good); Joe's Crab Shack; Gyros & Kabab; Panera Bread; Sole Mio; Prime 108; Merchants Restaurant; Shish Kabab Hookah Lounge; Past Perfect; Fleet Street Pub (good fish and chips); Provence Bread & Cafe; Oscars Taco Shop; Tequila Cowboy; Chile Burrito, Oak Bar (in the Hermitage Hotel); Margaritaville; Rock Bottom Brewery (good burgers); The Pita Pit; Jack's BBQ; The Melting Pot; Pub5; Bobbie's Dairy Dip; Jimmy John's sandwiches; Rippy's Bar & Grill; The Palm Restaurant; Green Curry Thai (in the Arcade); the pizza place at 9th/Church (they deliver until 3AM daily); Hooters.

Others which I haven't been to yet - three restaurants in the Omni Hotel; a new Italian place in the new convention center; City Pizza (I think that's the name) on 3rd just south of Broadway; a Brazilian churriscaria (sp?). I'm sure there are others. You won't go hungry.

There are also food trucks downtown on a somewhat regular basis.

3. You will be very disappointed. There is really no good public transportation and it can take 30 minutes to get from downtown to say, Green Hills, at times. And in certain places and times, you'll think you're still in LA! You can get to the Gulch and the Farmers Market on the free green buses. I'd budget some $$ for Uber, especially if you go out to 12South or Midtown.

4. The answer will depend on your likes. My friends and I go out to a couple of places in the Gulch and North Gulch, East Nashville, West Nashville/Sylvan Park, 8th Street corridor, Germantown. I'd rather poke needles in my eyes than go to Green Hills, but that's me. Pick up the free weekly Scene magazine and listen to Lightning 100 for ideas (News Archives » Lightning 100Lightning 100). Current faves are ZolliKoffee (inside Jakalope Brewery), CraftBrewed on 8th; Edley's East; William Collier's; Rumours Gulch; Cantina Laredo; Silo; Drifters; the new Mexican restaurant on Main/5Pts.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,619 times
Thanks! I appreciate the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: