Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 07:39 AM

71 posts, read 289,541 times

Advertisements

lisak64; thanks for the post. Some of your points really rang home. If we were invited to church or a gun show we too would decline (my wife is agnostic and I frankly don't care about religion..as for guns I have never seen or touched one which is fine by me).

I am always so gung ho on things that renting may be the better idea than rushing out to buy some larger than life house thinking it will make my wife more happy and planted. This surely would make it easier if it's not the right place for us.

Time will tell...I'm now off to take my 4 yr old sledding which you all can't do in Nashville. (my daughter just came by telling me to click the smiley so we can go sledding).

Old 12-30-2007, 08:34 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times
Okay, the whole church and gun show thing? We've been here over 6 years now, and it's never happened to us. Not once.

Just sayin..............

Old 12-30-2007, 08:44 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Okay, the whole church and gun show thing? We've been here over 6 years now, and it's never happened to us. Not once.

Just sayin..............
Just be careful if they ask you to go to the gun show AT the church.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:04 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post

Just sayin..............
Nor me. One neighbor did tell me about her church but I had already decided on the one I wanted to go to.
Guns? No way. A neighbor does own a gun but she moved here from Chicago and was orginnally from San Fransico Bay Area, so no way a native. My friends that are natives are as iggnorant as me about guns.
Diane

Old 12-30-2007, 01:00 PM

Default Lack of guns

Ok, now I feel better after reading the other replies.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:11 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
Well, there's no lack of guns in Tennessee (I have a few myself), but going to gun shows isn't a major recreational activity for most of us here.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:34 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
What's funny is that we moved to New Orleans! This was pre-Katrina, back in the late 90's. Anyway, we had gone there on trips and loved it. The food, the weather, the architecture, the music, all that "stuff". We lived in a very nice collar suburb of New Orleans called Metairie. It's a sizeable suburb...kind of the "Naperville" of New Orleans. I assumed that the entire area was rather liberal and we were surprised that everyone was church-going and gun toting. I'm a Christian and a member of an organized religion so I wasn't interested in attending a different church. It seemed that people just couldn't understand that. Having lived in Chicago for most of my life, we don't own guns, aren't hunters and like STP, have had zero exposure to them by choice. I quickly learned that being a tourist is so different than being a resident. I can't speak for Nashville. It sounds like perhaps Nashville is more transient and may be an easier transition - at least socially. New Orleans was tough because other than Tulane students and some artists, most of the people are natives and that made it harder for us transplants. Perhaps if we had lived in New Orleans proper, it would have been different. But we lived in the suburbs and everyone there were born and raised there. But I still think that STP should rent when they move to Nashville, if they do. That first year is telling. Plus it'll give him time to research real estate and neighborhoods if they think they're going to stay. And it'll provide his family with much more freedom and convenience if they move back. Either way, it's a win-win.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:53 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times
I understand your point, I do, but I disagree with it being a win-win. For me, moving is NOT fun. Why not go into it with the idea of it working out? Not in a naive way, but just a positive outlook.

Here's the thing- if you buy here and like it, you just move once. If it doesn't work out, you sell and move again. If you take the rent-first route, you move twice no matter what.

Houses are bought and sold every day. What's the big deal? There's no iron clad right or wrong way to do this, but for us jumping in worked out really well.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:28 PM

8 posts, read 16,118 times
I moved to AZ from Nashville 7 years ago. AZ is full of folks from Chicago. Don't move to Nashville, it's the "city of broken dreams". Move to AZ, "the land of opportunity". Yes it gets hot out here, but at least you can make a living and not starve to death. Nashville's middle class is almost gone. Phoenix area is full of middle class. What does that tell you?

I could never make the good living in Nashville that I make out here. AZ is the place to be!

Old 12-30-2007, 05:43 PM

Odds are we would not rent & would buy a house. I agree w/ the stress of moving and the thought of doing it twice is daunting.

As for moving to AZ I want a location that is w/in reasonable driving distance of Chicago. My wife HATES to fly plus w/ two young kids Nashville is an 8 hr drive from here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville