Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 06:00 AM

362 posts, read 646,055 times

Advertisements

I'm presently building a home on the Hendersonville/Gallatin border.

I was speaking to a future neighbor and she mentioned that the two homes behind me were burglarized but that was a few years back when the development had hardly anyone living there. I understand they also did not have alarm systems.

I noticed that most homes have alarm systems.
#1. Do all have it because it's a group mentality thing or is there a lot of home invasions in general?
#2. Who do you use for system? To monitor activity?

I wasn't really too concerned with crime but with that incident close by (auto break ins and shooting) I noticed two houses have just been listed in that neighborhood. So since I'm getting closer to the move in date I'm thinking I better get some security. Want to shop it out as I know absolutely nothing about alarm systems. I also want some feedback and recommendations.

Do many of you have carrying permits? Have gun protection in the home?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 06:51 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,094,307 times
Not sure if the same thing happened over there, but when Fieldstone Farms was built, ADT went around offering every new home owner FREE INSTALLATION of a security system and many took them up on their offer. Was it warranted? Probably not. But it was easy pickings, all these new home owners right there in a sub division row. My guess is that most of the folks over here kept the sign and the window sticker and stopped paying the monthly fees LONG ago. I guess it can be a selling point, even though deactivated.

So, I'd say yes,there is a bit of a group mentality. A strong neighborhood watch group would be a good idea, and collectively cheaper. You can get an ADT sign on eBay . . . I do think the installation is usually free so you could have it installed, pay the first year or whatever is required, and then simply cancel the service (per contract requirements) if you feel like it's unnecessary.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:48 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,282,099 times
I think people are more conscious about home security than they were years ago. Also with the internet, what's happening around us is available 24/7.

Any steps you can take to help deter breakins is a good idea. Better to be safe than sorry.

There are many companies out there offering security systems (ADT, Comcast Xfinity, Garrett Security).

Old 09-14-2014, 09:20 AM

I saw a "Comcast Xfinity" sign in yard down the street and I thought it meant he had recently switched from AT&T to Comcast . . . maybe it's for security? Been up about a month . . . . SO, if you decide to get an alarm system, I'd go with one that people (crooks) have heard of???

Oh, one more thing . . . I asked my handy guy to put in a dead bolt on my front door. He did but said that the REAL problem is that crooks can kick in the front door, even with a dead bolt, even with the door locked. He said the best thing you can do is reinforce the hinges with 3 inch screws. He said mostly the builders just use 1 inch or small ones that come with the set. He reinforced all my outside doors. Gee, so far it has worked! No one has kicked in my door! Also heard that a reinforced steel front door is suggested?

You can then put magnets on the inside with notes (unless it's stainless steel . . )!

Last edited by CountryGirl2b=; 09-14-2014 at 10:34 AM..

Old 09-14-2014, 10:29 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
I saw a "Comcast Infinity" sign in yard down the street and I thought it meant he had recently switched from AT&T to Comcast . . . maybe it's for security? Been up about a month . . . . SO, if you decide to get an alarm system, I'd go with one that people (crooks) have heard of???

Oh, one more thing . . . I asked my handy guy to put in a dead bolt on my front door. He did but said that the REAL problem is that crooks can kick in the front door, even with a dead bolt, even with the door locked. He said the best thing you can do is reinforce the hinges with 3 inch screws. He said mostly the builders just use 1 inch or small ones that come with the set. He reinforced all my outside doors. Gee, so far it has worked! No one has kicked in my door! Also heard that a reinforced steel front door is suggested?

You can then put magnets on the inside with notes (unless it's stainless steel . . )!
This is a very good point. The strike plate, where the bolt goes into the door frame, needs longer screws to keep the door from being kicked in. This link has really good photos to illustrate the point:

The Deadbolt Strike Plate-The Forgotten Half Of The Lock | Jeff Gater's Blog

We do not have an alarm system, but if I did I would go with NCA.

NCA Nashville - 9.95 Monthly Alarm Monitoring NCA Alarms

Use common sense: Do not open your door to someone you don't know. Lock your doors, even during the day, and do not leave valuables in your vehicle at home or while you are out. Put away valuables when you have work or cleaning crews inside.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:40 AM

I had a new door installed when I bought the house (the other one was dented and scratched by a dog, or perhaps a rabid raccoon?). I also had a peep hole installed at MY height, which is short. If you have kids, you might want to install it so THEY can see out of it. Tall people can always bend, us shorties have to find a chair. Very embarrassing, keeping the hoodlum waiting . . .

Old 09-14-2014, 12:01 PM

362 posts, read 646,055 times
Actually everyone in my neighborhood has wood doors with glass inset (including my home). You can see into the homes.

Last edited by Mi shots; 09-14-2014 at 12:10 PM..

Old 09-14-2014, 12:25 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi shots View Post
Actually everyone in my neighborhood has wood doors with glass inset (including my home). You can see into the homes.
Are you ok with that? Personally, it would drive me crazy.

Glass panels can easily be broken so thieves can reach in and unlock the door.

In our last house, we built a front porch and changed out the front doors. My husband wanted full-view French doors but I am never a fan of strangers being able to see inside. We compromised on wood doors with a row of glass at the top, where you could still get light but couldn't see in, even on your tip-toes.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:14 PM

That would drive me crazy, too. I didn't even want glass panels in my garage door. Didn't want anyone to see if the car was there or not.

I have plantation shutters in the living room that are decent at blocking as well. I can still watch TV on Halloween night after shutting out the porch light when I run out of Reese's . . . .

Old 09-14-2014, 01:24 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,745,432 times
You're in a pretty safe area.

Chances are you won't have any problems, but since you've got so much invested in your house, etc., it wouldn't hurt to protect it.

Our former neighbors moved up to Portland, and figured they wouldn't need an alarm system. They came home from work one day & found their home had been completely trashed by burglars. You never know ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: