Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2015, 10:25 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,502,433 times

Advertisements

Nashville is high on my list of cities I want to transfer my job to within the next 12 months (others are Louisville and Columbus) and I have the opportunity to stay in Nashville for 1.5 days while I drive home to NC from AR. I am planning on arriving tomorrow at around 3P at a hotel near Broadway. I am planning on spending a good full evening getting dinner at Jack's and going around to the different music venues and apparent record store there. Looks like a real cool spot.

Anywhere else I should see in Nashville? Eat at for breakfast?

Another big question for me is where can I park to get a good full picture of the Nashville skyline?

Is Nashville livable with 1 or 2 roommates if I'm making $2000 a month single dude no student loans or car payment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 11:23 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
If you plan on spending most of your time around Downtown, I think Puckett's is a good choice for breakfast. I'm guessing the record store you mentioned is Ernest Tubb's, and yes, it's pretty cool.

The skyline question is a little tough, because due to topography, it can be difficult to find unobstructed views of Downtown.

It's not the full skyline, but popular spots include the pedestrian bridge (Shelby St/John Seigenthaler) and Korean Veterans/Gateway Bridge just south of Downtown.

Another popular spot is just past Vanderbilt on Love Circle (it's a little tricky to get to access-wise...off of Acklen Ave near 32nd). There is a little park on top, so you can get out of your car if you can find a spot to park.

(2013, my photo)

You can also get a clear view just south of town near the Adventure Science Center (8th Ave S > Chestnut St > Fort Negley Blvd). You need to go up a little bit to get a good shot, though. Fort Negley (on top of the hill) offers a couple of little peaks, but when I've been up there, the tree coverage hasn't allowed for great photos.

Different spots in Germantown (north of Downtown) offer a nice perspective.

If you're not afraid of a little exploration, two of my favorite spots are Kline St near I-440 (440@ Nolensville), which, IMO, provides the cleanest straight-on view of Downtown, because it is directly squared to the street grid (despite being far from it) and has a better vantage point than those on the north side. The other is from 33rd St near Trevor, on a hill overlooking 440 on the west side, near Charlotte. It provides the best panorama of the skyline because it not only includes Downtown, but Midtown and West End.

Kline Ave perspective (2013, my photo):

zoom

no zoom

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1210...7i13312!8i6656

33rd & Trevor perspective (2013, my photo):

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1542...7i13312!8i6656

Old 10-09-2015, 07:47 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,722,397 times
Sitting on the patio at Peg Leg Porker and looking back towards downtown is very nice view also.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:18 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
Are you asking for downtown hotel recommendations? I stayed at the Hilton which was very nice but all I heard until 2 AM was the boom boom boom of the music on Lower Broadway. IF that sort of thing bothers you I would find something a bit further out. The Renaissance is a bit uphill and faces a different direction so that might work?

Old 10-09-2015, 11:13 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,722,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Are you asking for downtown hotel recommendations? I stayed at the Hilton which was very nice but all I heard until 2 AM was the boom boom boom of the music on Lower Broadway. IF that sort of thing bothers you I would find something a bit further out. The Renaissance is a bit uphill and faces a different direction so that might work?

They have supposedly fixed that issue at the Hilton.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:44 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
Can't imagine how . . . . It was seriously loud. I had a view of the bridge. And it was a Sunday and Monday night. Guessing the slowest nights of the week.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:48 PM

3,049 posts, read 3,317,957 times
The best view of downtown Nashville may be from the pedestrian bridge or nearby at the Titan (Nissan) stadium.

The view from the Woodland street bridge near the north end of the stadium is also nice.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:16 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,502,433 times
So this place is rad, there is way too much to see haha I can't wait to come back...much better than Raleigh-Durham. Wonder how Louisville will stack up..I hope it's affordable. Looks a tad bit expensive even with roomies.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:01 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Nashville is high on my list of cities I want to transfer my job to within the next 12 months (others are Louisville and Columbus) and I have the opportunity to stay in Nashville for 1.5 days while I drive home to NC from AR. I am planning on arriving tomorrow at around 3P at a hotel near Broadway. I am planning on spending a good full evening getting dinner at Jack's and going around to the different music venues and apparent record store there. Looks like a real cool spot.

Anywhere else I should see in Nashville? Eat at for breakfast?

Another big question for me is where can I park to get a good full picture of the Nashville skyline?

Is Nashville livable with 1 or 2 roommates if I'm making $2000 a month single dude no student loans or car payment?
Nashville has gotten congested and pricey. Consider Louisville for a cool walkable urban vibe at a much cheaper cost. Both are great cities though.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:17 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
So this place is rad, there is way too much to see haha I can't wait to come back...much better than Raleigh-Durham. Wonder how Louisville will stack up..I hope it's affordable. Looks a tad bit expensive even with roomies.
Louisville is way cheaper than either city. IMO it is a much more hipster city too, even if it doesn't get the national credit the others do:

Trulia recently ranked Louisville 3rd most affordable in the USA...it was ranked behind two OH cities that cannot hold a candle to it in terms of economy, growth, and mostly, urban vibrancy .

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisvill...hird-most.html

Last edited by Peter1948; 10-11-2015 at 09:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville