Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2016, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,485 times

Advertisements

So I live in the Nations and the property next door to me was bought by one of those condo/developer companies that are popping up ALL over my street. They have built the foundation of the home RIGHT next to my fence, we're talking 6 or 7 inches at the narrowest, making it impossible to walk in between my fence and the new structure. (It happens to be how I take the garbage out/access the back alley.) Ignoring all the other irritating aspects of having a house directly over my yard, (And construction dirt/debris piled against/coming through my chain link fence) I feel like this has to be a violation of some sort of code? A law saying you have to build a certain distance from the actual property line? If anyone knows Metro Nashville building codes I'd be super appreciative!

I've found a lot of threads about building fences, and I have been led to believe you can build a fence directly on the property line in Metro, but I can't find if there are different laws regarding an actual structure/house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 06:48 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
You need to call the appropriate planning office and ask about the setback requirements. They may be on-line but I couldn't find them for a link in a quick search.

You'll need to know your zoning district.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:09 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,326,306 times
You need to call Metro codes. I looked for quite a while, and it's hard to find a lot of specific information (mainly because there are eleventy billion different zoning districts and codes).

It looks like a lot of The Nations is zoned R6. If that is true for your location, then the minimum setback is 5 feet. That is according to Metro Code 17.12.020A.

But you will need to confirm with codes what your actual zoning is. I would definitely inquire about this ASAP.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:18 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
"Your fence" also may not be exactly on the property line, so it isn't the best place from which to measure.

Theoretically, if they have a plan approved, it meets the local code. You could always ask to see their foundation permit. But you also need to see a plat map of your own property to know where your actual property lines are.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:30 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,326,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
"Your fence" also may not be exactly on the property line, so it isn't the best place from which to measure.

Theoretically, if they have a plan approved, it meets the local code. You could always ask to see their foundation permit. But you also need to see a plat map of your own property to know where your actual property lines are.
A survey might be in order just to make sure. I had my same thoughts about the fence. I know of situations where people built (without permits) on their neighbor's property, because they THOUGHT it was theirs.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:51 PM

3,037 posts, read 3,306,920 times
There should have been a survey done before they built the foundation. At the minimum to be sure they did not hit any water lines. Maybe as part of a deal you can get them to build a new fence? If nothing else a sidewalk?

Old 05-09-2016, 08:23 PM

914 posts, read 1,982,912 times
I'd be willing to bet you fence isn't on the property line. Before a foundation is poured Metro has to approve the layout. Look and see if you can find the stakes for the property lines.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:24 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristamica View Post
So I live in the Nations and the property next door to me was bought by one of those condo/developer companies that are popping up ALL over my street. They have built the foundation of the home RIGHT next to my fence, we're talking 6 or 7 inches at the narrowest, making it impossible to walk in between my fence and the new structure. (It happens to be how I take the garbage out/access the back alley.) Ignoring all the other irritating aspects of having a house directly over my yard, (And construction dirt/debris piled against/coming through my chain link fence) I feel like this has to be a violation of some sort of code? A law saying you have to build a certain distance from the actual property line? If anyone knows Metro Nashville building codes I'd be super appreciative!

I've found a lot of threads about building fences, and I have been led to believe you can build a fence directly on the property line in Metro, but I can't find if there are different laws regarding an actual structure/house.
Contact the local zoning departmentand ask them your questions.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:11 AM

71 posts, read 73,963 times
It's also possible they were granted a variance, even if the code says 5 feet (or whatever distance for setback).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville