Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 07:07 PM

256 posts, read 888,832 times

Advertisements

back where im from alot of people did that...For some plp you know i can understand bc maybe its not enough parking.but if the car isnt working then move it.....sell it do something..it does make the place look trashy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 09:11 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,742,391 times
We went to a neighborhood meeting the other night, and was brought up-to-date on the Codes. If they're parking on the grass, report them. The City code is as follows:

"Parking and Paving Requirements …..862-6590….

The Zoning Code and Health Code specify that permanent parking areas containing five (5) or more spaces must be surfaced with a hard-surfaced, dustless material.
The Property Standards Code further provides that vehicles parked at private residences may not be parked on the grass.

Nashville.gov - Codes - Codes Online Customer Service Desk (http://www.nashville.gov/codes/report_violations.aspx - broken link)

Old 03-01-2008, 11:35 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,844 times
Complaining about some people may ver well come back to bite you.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:45 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times
They can be reported anonymously, though, no? If it's a codes violation, there's no complainant.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:50 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
:shrug: This is one reason why that, despite being a city person, I'm not sure I could ever live in a city. Someone who is seriously that worried about what their neighbor is doing on their own, bought/rented property, needs to get a life. Also, ever hear of bad karma?

I honestly just can't imagine "reporting" someone for having cars parked on their lawn. What in the world is wrong with people??? How is it hurting you??

Sheesh.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:16 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
What in the world is wrong with people??? How is it hurting you??

Sheesh.
No one's saying they're bad people. What I AM saying is that, if I buy a home in a well-maintained neighborhood, just to see things change, then my investment suffers. It's that simple. Cars on blocks, parked in yards, trashiness in general- it all lowers property values. Trying to get folks to obey the law doesn't feel like "bad karma" to me.

It's called being a grown-up and respecting others, not to mention yourself.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:44 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Well, I see your point. But part of being a grown-up is accepting the fact that sometimes, other people just aren't going to do exactly what you'd like them to. Different people have different values and widely different notions of respect, both for themselves and others. Who is going to say which definitions are right, and why do they get to do so?

Technically, since it is law, then you're right. (Though I would still never report someone - that just seems mean.) But I think it's a sad day for humanity that we have nothing better to do than dream up laws to "protect property values." That really comments on how far off the radar we've really flown.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:45 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
They can be reported anonymously, though, no? If it's a codes violation, there's no complainant.
Yeah, but if someone just moves into an area fairly recently and there haven't been previous complains they'll know who complained.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:18 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,742,391 times
Quote:
Well, I see your point. But part of being a grown-up is accepting the fact that sometimes, other people just aren't going to do exactly what you'd like them to. Different people have different values and widely different notions of respect, both for themselves and others. Who is going to say which definitions are right, and why do they get to do so?

Technically, since it is law, then you're right. (Though I would still never report someone - that just seems mean.) But I think it's a sad day for humanity that we have nothing better to do than dream up laws to "protect property values." That really comments on how far off the radar we've really flown.

I wouldn't either, but that's what they're asking people to do.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:24 AM

427 posts, read 1,307,944 times
Quote:

But that assumes that we're all just individuals who happen to live in a particular area.

I see myself as part of a neighborhood, and that we have a responsibility to each other, not just ourselves.

My neighbors might not like me very much -- my area's conservative and religious, and I'm sure they've figured out that my partner and I aren't just housemates -- but we haven't had any problems because we maintain our property well. They understand, as we do, that taking care of our house is respectful of _our_ neighborhood.

There's also the "broken window theory," that says the breakdown of an area starts with the little things -- like a broken window that goes unrepaired. When those around see that the little things don't matter, a shift in attitudes begins, and those who _do_ care start drifting away, either emotionally or physically. Those who don't care start letting things go even more, and eventually the area becomes blighted.

So caring about these things isn't the behavior of a control freak, but a way of making sure the neighborhood remains a good place to live on a number of levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville