Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 10:11 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,148 times

Advertisements

No --- she should not resign.

I cannot believe this made it to "Inside Edition" on CBS yesterday, February 1, 2018
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 10:17 AM

216 posts, read 163,305 times
There appears to be three separate investigations going on into this matter. This issue will suck all the oxygen out of the air until the results are found. I wonder how this will impact her agenda.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:03 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,473,389 times
I do think it'll have a direct negative impact on her transportation plan. It was going to take a strong push from a respected and popular mayor to make it happen, even in part. It remains to be seen what long term political fallout will occur from this will be, but I think even in a best case scenario it doesn't look promising right now.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:35 PM

182 posts, read 449,346 times
People say it was her "personal" life. In all reality does anyone believe that she did not utilize tax payer time "meeting" with the other party no matter how brief? The news stated for 2017 his expenses for travel were nearly $22,000 to various cities which included other staff and trips with just the two of them one of which was a trip to Greece! How could the taxpayer benefit from a city mayor attending some function in Greece? It is easy to justify these fun trips but are they critical to Nashville business?

And what about the huge pay increase he received when she took office? Hmmm.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:46 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,148 times
Best to let suppositions lie--- like sleeping dogs.

Especially since Channel Five read (in part) a letter from the Mayor's personal attorney regarding the putting forth of "slanderous false information". The quote are my words because I can't remember the exact phrasing.

I don't live in Davidson County but if I did, I would just go on with my own business and hope for the best for the Mayor.

I have to wonder if the pursuit of justice would be so enthusiastic if the Mayor were a man----

I am still trying to figure out who had enough clout and was so low-down-dirty, as to make sure this ended up on the nationally syndicated Inside Edition. THAT was a below the belt hit that serves no good purpose, IMO.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:59 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,085,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
I am still trying to figure out who had enough clout and was so low-down-dirty, as to make sure this ended up on the nationally syndicated Inside Edition. THAT was a below the belt hit that serves no good purpose, IMO.
I'm guessing Inside Edition figured a potential scandal involving the mayor of one of the more prominent cities in the country was worthy of a mention.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:55 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
Aside from the possibility of abuse of taxpayer money, I worry that this scandal will greatly reduce her effectiveness as a mayor. Unlike her son's tragic death, which was not in her control, this is a direct challenge to her decision-making and leadership. Depending on how long this drags on, it will serve as a major distraction for a city on the move, and will undermine her ability to initiate policy. Her political opponents will be able to use this as fodder for some time, and fair or not, it could be used to sink proposals -- especially larger ones, like the transit plan -- even if it has no actual bearing on them.

On a personal level, I don't find Mayor Barry's apology to be all that sincere. I'll give her credit for admitting the scandal took place, but that's exactly where it ends for me.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:20 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,510,011 times
The whole campaign when she ran for mayor painted David Fox, a very decent man, as a fire-breathing "Republican" (he's not). He is a very smart financial manager and a grounded family man. He would have made a far better choice than Barry. But the zeitgeist said it was "time for a woman". The first thing she did in office was to triple her own office's budget. Everyone should have known at that time it would be a rough four years.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 811 times
She gave all of us in metro a much needed raise when she took over which is something our last mayor didn’t bother to do for the metro employees for several years.
The only time I’ve been hearing anything mentioned about what has happened is on here. I’ve not heard anyone who really cares, just some who get a good laugh out of it. Everyone on these sites want to cry and pretend that they are perfect and have never made any mistakes in there perfect lives. If you get angry about my post then I guess you must be one of those perfect people.

One more thing
This isn’t going to change the fact that we have traffic problems. The transit plan will move forward and pass if people want to get around and not sit in traffic all day.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:58 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
I get angry about the grammar in your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville