Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 05:55 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,646 times

Advertisements

If you had a chance to live in Austin or Nashville which would you choose and why?

Has anyone lived in or visited both cities a lot and what are your opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 10:34 PM

940 posts, read 1,902,525 times
My family in '55 moved from Atlanta to Nashville, I was 5. I grew up in Nashville, left at 18 for freshman year at college, while my family moved to Chicagoland. I came back to finish at Vanderbilt. I've lived in Nashville 3 times for a total of 18 years there. In '75 I moved from Nashville to Austin, a year during the truly classic era in the city's history as it was during this time Austin rose to become the musical and cultural heart of Texas. This was when the local scene was moving from the "cosmic cowboy" period to the "outlaw country" scene. Austin music has long since moved beyond categorization now. I've lived in Austin twice for a total of 11 years there.

I'm probably your #1 go to guy on the subject as I obtained 2 engineering degrees from the most prominent institutions in each city, am a serious amateur musician to this day and so have a wide grasp of the cultural history of each city during my lifetime. And geographically I know each like the back of my hand. I moved to Houston 19 years ago but have had an Austin connection with my property there which I sold in '07. I average 6~10 visits per year or so, and spent 10 months renovating the property when I was going nearly every weekend.

A few years ago in another forum someone else asked the same thing as you and I wrote a very long post about the 2 cities, as I was sleepless with the flu. I can try to retrieve this and post it here with some addenda. Meanwhile ask away - I love talking about two of my favorite cities.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:59 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times
Almost moved to Austin before we came here. Shopped for houses, the whole nine yards. Ultimately chose Nashville because it was the better city for songwriting. Also, my husband preferred the houses here and the summers are less punishing.

Still wish I could slip down to Trudy's Texas Star, though, and load up on migas and cold beer!

If Nashville and Austin are your choices, frankly, you can't miss. Good luck!

Old 04-02-2008, 10:21 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,646 times
Groovamos...if you can post a link to your other post regarding the differences in the two cities that would be so helpful!

Old 04-02-2008, 11:31 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimicata View Post
If you had a chance to live in Austin or Nashville which would you choose and why?

Too many liberals in Austin. However, both cities have strong economies, vibrant music scenes, good weather, hot chicks, and traffic issues.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:10 PM

Good Lord, Pimpy. Pretty narrow-minded, wouldn't you say? Too many liberals for whom? The half of the country that's NOT liberal, or just according to you? You usually write such solid posts. Will you be bringing your politics into every thread until the election?

Gee, I wonder why we're so divided.....

Old 04-02-2008, 12:17 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
I've lived in both cities. Austin holds a special fondness in my heart and I love going back even though it is full of Californians now, but then again so is Nashville.

Given the choice btwn the 2 cities I would pick Austin. Mostly because I love all the outdoor activities, the tex-mex and the CountyLine... and Schlitterbahn is close by

Old 04-02-2008, 12:34 PM

The food in Austin is major. Funny we both mentioned it. I have a foodie friend who lives there now and says 3 of his favorite restaurants of all time are there- Wink, Aquarelle, and Driskill something.

Best fried green tomatoes I ever had were there. Good thing there are lots of walking trails too!

Old 04-02-2008, 02:57 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Good Lord, Pimpy. Pretty narrow-minded, wouldn't you say? Too many liberals for whom? The half of the country that's NOT liberal, or just according to you? You usually write such solid posts. Will you be bringing your politics into every thread until the election?

Gee, I wonder why we're so divided.....
With all the Californians and New Yorkers moving here, I have to do my part to keep Tennessee as a red state, haha.

On a serious note, I think it is worth pointing out that the main difference between the Austin and Nashville is that Austin's residents, as a whole, are much more liberal than Nashville's (especially when you look at the suburbs). Other than that, the cities are VERY similar.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:37 PM

68 posts, read 103,994 times
Default Nod to Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimicata View Post

Visited both locales. Would give a slight nod to Austin. Appreciate the metro environment, lakes - walking areas, access to other major cities and socio-economic and cultural diversity of Austin. However, Nashville does have its own sense of "specialness" with its well-established country-music genre. Just my thoughts - good luck with your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville