Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2020, 09:46 AM

27 posts, read 36,206 times

Advertisements

Hello all again, we are not working with a realtor and we are trying to narrow down our search area more! Recently, I posted about the Brentwood/Franklin area, I wanted to get some information about Hendersonville / Goodlettsville. We are considering this area as your money goes much further when it comes to housing.

Budget : 500K->900K
Requirements : 4k sqft, 4bed, 6/10+ schools, walking distance (3mi) to shops.
Commute: Commerce St, flexible commute (Can leave anytime from 6am->9am).

Questions:
1. How does the livability compare to Franklin? Similar features/amenities? I know that CoolSprings is the only option for some stores (e.g. Costco).
2. What will the commute look like? Generally I would like to live no more than 5-10 minutes from I65 or 31. I heard the Norther corridor does not get as much thought/work as the southern side.
3. How is crime?
4. Schools?
5. Good area to raise kids?

Thanks again for your much appreciated inputs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 10:09 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,468,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzRob View Post
Budget : 500K->900K
Requirements : 4k sqft, 4bed, 6/10+ schools, walking distance (3mi) to shops.
Commute: Commerce St, flexible commute (Can leave anytime from 6am->9am).

Questions:
1. How does the livability compare to Franklin? Similar features/amenities? I know that CoolSprings is the only option for some stores (e.g. Costco).
2. What will the commute look like? Generally I would like to live no more than 5-10 minutes from I65 or 31. I heard the Norther corridor does not get as much thought/work as the southern side.
3. How is crime?
4. Schools?

To start, The Tennessean just posted their periodic "what you can buy for $xxx in Sumner County comparison today. Keep in mind Sumner County is where Hendersonville and a part of Goodlettsville is located...but this gives you a decent idea of what the very low end of your price range looks like.

Walking distance to shops is going to be very difficult to find in Goodlettsville or Hendersonville. There are pockets of homes that you could reasonably say are "walkable" to shops, but there just aren't many. The Sumner County side of Goodlettsville is technically walkable to a Publix and some other strip-mall type options, but the roads are busy and in general most of Middle TN isn't pedestrian-friendly in the suburbs.

I'll also note that Goodlettsville actually sits in both Davidson and Sumner Counties. If schools are a factor, definitely look to the Sumner County side of Goodlettsville as they tend to score higher than Metro/Davidson County schools.

Here are my answers to your questions...keep in mind I carry a bias towards Goodlettsville/Hendersonville area having grown up there and spending much of my adult life living there.

1. Franklin has more amenities, shopping, dining options than Gville/Hville; however, I don't think that makes it more livable than the others. You'll find quality public parks, access to the lake, and decent quality shopping (Streets of Indian Lake in Hville...lesser so in the Rivergate area in Goodlettsville which has been in a decline along with most other large malls across the country). I think the easy answer is to say "Franklin" due to the quantity of retail, etc, but I think you can pretty much find anything you want north of town too (with the exception of Costco).
2. Commute time differs between Gville and Hville. Gville will typically be shorter as you are closer to I 65 and do not have to navigate 386/Bypass traffic. On a typical rush hour (6:30-8:00 am) I would expect a 35-40 minute commute from Goodlettsville. Evening commute will probably be similar. Hendersonville...it really depends how far away you are from the bypass and which Bypass exit you live nearby. Rule of thumb, give yourself 45 minutes and know that 386/Bypass is regularly backed up and often has fender benders to delay you. There are some secondary road options too, but they tend to be littered with lots of red lights and when there's a disruption in the main arteries, they get clogged quickly too.
3. Crime is pretty mild...you do hear of robberies in the retail areas/parking lots from time to time. Domestic disturbances, drug issues tend to be in certain pockets of each area. Overall, I think crime is not that big of a concern in either area though it certainly does exist. My guess is that it's comparable to the same level as you'd find in Franklin.
4. Schools...again, Sumner County is preferrable. Hendersonville has multiple clusters of schools that feed into 3 (soon to be 4) high schools. What ages are your kids? Overall, Sumner Schools are pretty well regarded. You'll hear many people seem to flock to the Station Camp cluster of schools, but they are oversaturated...thus the new schools being built nearby (Liberty Creek I think is the name) in the coming years.
5. Definitely a good area to raise kids.

Your price range will give you many options north of town...probably more than Franklin if I had to guess. I think it's definitely worth considering and comparing to Franklin.

Old 04-20-2020, 11:26 AM

27 posts, read 36,206 times
Our kid is 14 months old, so we have a bit of time to work out schools. However, we are growing our family and want to avoid moving for a while.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:30 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,718,375 times
There is another Costco in West Nashville. I actually think it’s better than the one in cool Springs.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:40 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,740,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
There is another Costco in West Nashville. I actually think it’s better than the one in cool Springs.
I agree. And, easy to get there from Hendersonville via Briley Parkway.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:24 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,514,297 times
Don Corleone pretty much covered it all. There's no substitute for boots on the ground. I suggest you investigate both areas in person.

Goodlettsville has some absolutely incredible hills to the north and west, and it would be desirable. Hendersonville's most desirable homes would be close to or on Old Hickory Lake.

I lived 5 years in Williamson County, and the quality of life there cannot be topped anywhere in this country. Justin Timberlake liked it so well, he moved his whole road operation there in a place called Leiper's Fork. Others out there are Tim & Faith, Vince & Amy, all 3 Judds and the movers and shakers. And it's about the most beautiful place you've ever seen.

FYI: Brentwood's average real estate transaction last year was about $800K median. Franklin is a little less, but up there too. Thompson Station/Spring Hill homes run about $450K, but they're not even that attractive to me. A really good real estate salesman would be a plus, as there are homes in the rural sections of Williamson County that are very livable. Public schools there are the best in the state too.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:44 AM

3,039 posts, read 3,306,920 times
Questions:
RiverGate rates poorly next to Cool Springs. You may like Opry Mills better. For Costco go to West Nashville. (Trader Joe's) or new Bellevue Place (Sprouts).

TDOT did a lot of work improving I-65 from downtown to Goodletsville. Depends if you use Vietnam Vets to get to I-65. From there depends if there is a wreck to get downtown. You can use Ellington Parkway. You may want to stay on I-24 past Titan stadium to get downtown over the river.

3. How is crime?
Low. May be a bit higher in Madison

4. Schools?
OK

You can still get to Nashville Zoo, Adventure Science Center, etc.

Thanks again for your much appreciated inputs![/quote]

Old 04-22-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Questions:
RiverGate rates poorly next to Cool Springs. You may like Opry Mills better. For Costco go to West Nashville. (Trader Joe's) or new Bellevue Place (Sprouts).

TDOT did a lot of work improving I-65 from downtown to Goodletsville. Depends if you use Vietnam Vets to get to I-65. From there depends if there is a wreck to get downtown. You can use Ellington Parkway. You may want to stay on I-24 past Titan stadium to get downtown over the river.

3. How is crime?
Low. May be a bit higher in Madison

4. Schools?
OK

You can still get to Nashville Zoo, Adventure Science Center, etc.

[/quote]

You can also use Dickerson Pike to get out of Goodlettsville, and avoid I-65 altogether.

Old 04-25-2020, 09:05 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,514,297 times
But for the money you're looking to spend, you could be waterfront on Old Hickory Lake.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
But for the money you're looking to spend, you could be waterfront on Old Hickory Lake.

Who wants to live there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville