Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 12:13 PM

21,922 posts, read 9,491,642 times

Advertisements

Considering a relo to TN. I know someone in Brentwood. Looks to be a nice place. What should I know first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 12:49 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,491,448 times
It's the most expensive place to live in TN.

Old 07-27-2020, 01:07 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
It's the most expensive place to live in TN.
Based on what?

Belle Meade beats Brentwood out for "most" costly homes. Also the property tax rate is very low - lower than Nashville. It's adjacent to Nashville, so your commute costs could be lower than if you're driving in from farther suburbs.

The schools are good so private school won't be a necessity unless you want a religious education. Stand by for those who like to come here to talk about how the schools are only better because the kids come from higher income families, which isn't true.

OP, this usually works best when you ask about specific things that are relevant to you.

Old 07-27-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Based on what?

Belle Meade beats Brentwood out for "most" costly homes. Also the property tax rate is very low - lower than Nashville. It's adjacent to Nashville, so your commute costs could be lower than if you're driving in from farther suburbs.

The schools are good so private school won't be a necessity unless you want a religious education. Stand by for those who like to come here to talk about how the schools are only better because the kids come from higher income families, which isn't true.

OP, this usually works best when you ask about specific things that are relevant to you.
Thanks. I was hoping you would chime in. I have done research on the schools somewhat. I would consider private as many places in general have low ranking public schools but my kids are no super high achievers so I don't think they could get in.

I would like to know what a lot might cost to build on. I don't want a gated community with a strict HOA, but a nice neighborhood with a flat lot at least .5 acres.

I guess crime there is pretty good but I was disappointed to see how high it is in Nashville. That's one of the reasons we want to leave the Chicago area.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:20 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
I believe residential lots in Brentwood are required to be at least 1 acre in size.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
I believe residential lots in Brentwood are required to be at least 1 acre in size.
Not according to the houses I have seen.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:26 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
The original Brentwood neighborhoods in the late 60s/early 70s were set up that way.

However, in the late 90s they added a zoning designation in Brentwood that allows neighborhoods with lots of .5 acre if there is a corresponding amount of green space in the neighborhood to add up to a ratio of 1 house per acre.

In fact, probably half the neighborhoods in Brentwood are like that now.

OP, to be honest there aren't that many build-to-suit neighborhoods available in the Brentwood city limits right now. Some that come to mind are Oman, on Franklin Road, and Witherspoon, on Crockett Road. Depending on location, lots range from $200Ks for raw land to $400K in a planned subdivision.

Keep in mind that the Brentwood zip code (37027) straddles the Nashville/Davidson County line, so check school zoning and tax rates to verify where you're looking. If you are looking at lots on the Davidson side they could be zoned for Overton High, Cane Ridge high and Hillsboro High, while those in the City of Brentwood on the Williamson County side will be zoned for Brentwood, Ravenwood or Nolensville high schools.

Use the local MLS website to search: www.realtracs.com.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
The original Brentwood neighborhoods in the late 60s/early 70s were set up that way.

However, in the late 90s they added a zoning designation in Brentwood that allows neighborhoods with lots of .5 acre if there is a corresponding amount of green space in the neighborhood to add up to a ratio of 1 house per acre.

In fact, probably half the neighborhoods in Brentwood are like that now.

OP, to be honest there aren't that many build-to-suit neighborhoods available right now. Some that come to mind are Oman, on Franklin Road, and Witherspoon, on Crockett Road. Depending on location, lots range from $200Ks for raw land to $400K in a planned subdivision.
Ok, thanks.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:22 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,726 times
Commute wise Brentwood is probably the best location for a professional to live.. you have easy access to downtown, Maryland Farms, Cool Springs and the airport.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:28 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
I stand corrected. Would the .5 acre lots typically be in subdivisions with an HOA, though?

https://www.brentwoodtn.gov/departme...and-zoning-101
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville