Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 01:31 PM

206 posts, read 184,446 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,
We are moving from Canada to Nashville in summer. I have heard merrol hyde is a good school. But i m unsure about how hard is it to get admitted in it.
Is the test and admission really rigorous and there are not high chances to get in?
I gathered all information from their website about admission but i wanted real time experience of anyone who is there or taken admission test
I m not sure if moving there is a good decision if admission is near impossible
My son is in grade 9 in canada and is good in studies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2020, 09:51 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,468,665 times
It is pretty difficult to get admission into Merrol Hyde. It is a great school...among the best in the state really.

My guess is that for high school admission, it would be exceedingly difficult as there are only a very limited number of slots available to new students. If I had to guess, it would be less than 10 per grade per year. It's rather difficult for Kindergarten but that is the best age to apply...obviously that is not an option for you but just posting that for future reference.

There is a testing process and I believe you have to show proof of being a Sumner County resident. Here are the requirements:

https://mhm.sumnerschools.org/index....ns/information

As good as Merrol Hyde is, the other public schools in Hendersonville are quite good as well. They aren't "magnet school" status, but I wouldn't let not getting into Merrol Hyde deter me from the area.

Old 12-18-2020, 12:00 PM

Thanks a lot. I didnt see any good rating high school in hendersonville. What if my son doesnt get in. Which is a very high chance. I didnt find any high school with high ranking.
Do you have any idea if there are any?

Old 12-18-2020, 01:37 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,468,665 times
Not to be blunt, but I wouldn't consider moving to Hendersonville or any other area solely on the chance of a magnet school lottery. Some people "test in" just to go on a waiting list for 3 years. It's very competitive.

I don't know the "rankings" per se, but Station Camp HS, Hendersonville, and Beech are generally well-regarded in the area by reputation. My kids are zoned for Beech and when they reach that age we are fine with that.

You might also look at John Paul II which is a private school in the area and well regarded also.

Old 12-18-2020, 04:39 PM

Thanks DonCorleone,
Thats what i actually wanted to hear. I think i would look into other areas as well. We are actually more leaning towards brentwood or franklin. But was thinking if my son could get in merrol high then at least we will get more for our bucks in terms if renting.
As far as private school go. I dont think so we can afford that.
I really appreciate you putting your two cents in.

Old 12-20-2020, 01:58 PM

Default Middle School admission criteria

Hi,
Can anyone please let me know how they place kids in grades. By age or by some sort of testing. Year of birth ( like they do in Canada)
My son turned 10 this month( December )
How will he be placed in school?
Help is appreciated

Old 12-20-2020, 03:04 PM

3,037 posts, read 3,306,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian2021 View Post
Hi,
Can anyone please let me know how they place kids in grades. By age or by some sort of testing. Year of birth ( like they do in Canada)
My son turned 10 this month( December )
How will he be placed in school?
Help is appreciated
https://www.mnps.org/register-for-school

All you need to know for Metro Nashville Public School

Old 12-20-2020, 10:15 PM

Thanks for the link and its quiet helpful. But it doesnt state the age required to enter middle school.
Same above question i have.
Do they place according to age?

Old 12-21-2020, 12:35 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,544,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian2021 View Post
Thanks for the link and its quiet helpful. But it doesnt state the age required to enter middle school.
Same above question i have.
Do they place according to age?
They will place according to grade in Canada. You may need placement tests for things like honors math. (When my son took his placement test for honors math in metro after moving from a neighboring district, he was moved up a grade). We have friends that have moved here from the UK and the kids are all the youngest in their US grades because UK starts reception/kindergarten at age 4.

Old 12-21-2020, 07:39 AM

Thanks a lot. So basically it doesnt have to do anything with age. They will be taking a placement test and based on that they will admission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville