Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 08:17 AM

107 posts, read 267,323 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!!

Can someone help me???

I am researching colleges here so I can start taking some classes. I haven't gone yet so I will need to get all the beginning classes done first. Does anyone know anything about Motlow State Communtiy College?? Does anyone recommend where I could go?

THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 08:52 AM

270 posts, read 796,764 times
I will be going to Nashville State Community College in a year. If you Google community colleges in Nashville it will pull up your choices. I'm waiting a year to establish residency. If I go now I will pay $401 per credit and if I wait a year it will be $101. Good Luck.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:54 AM

427 posts, read 1,308,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irreplaceable View Post
I will be going to Nashville State Community College in a year. If you Google community colleges in Nashville it will pull up your choices. I'm waiting a year to establish residency. If I go now I will pay $401 per credit and if I wait a year it will be $101. Good Luck.

Unlike most states, Tennessee doesn't have a one-year residency requirement. Call NSCC and see what they require to get in-state tuition.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irreplaceable View Post

I did that already but I am having a hard time on where to go. I haven't gone to college yet so this is HARD for me. I don't know where to start!

Old 05-23-2008, 09:14 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRRB2008 View Post
Hi everyone!!

Can someone help me???

I am researching colleges here so I can start taking some classes. I haven't gone yet so I will need to get all the beginning classes done first. Does anyone know anything about Motlow State Communtiy College?? Does anyone recommend where I could go?

THANKS!!!
If you're in Nashville, why would you go to Motlow? There are two community colleges in the Nashville area which are much more convenient: Nashville State Tech and Volunteer State (in Gallatin).

Old 05-23-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
If you're in Nashville, why would you go to Motlow? There are two community colleges in the Nashville area which are much more convenient: Nashville State Tech and Volunteer State (in Gallatin).
Hi JMT-

I am in Murfreesboro. I am still not familiar with the areas and when I did some searches I came accross Motlow.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:38 AM

427 posts, read 1,308,068 times
Why not just go to MTSU, since it's so close?

The community colleges nearest you look pretty far away, especially with gas prices going up.

I wouldn't recommend online courses for someone just starting -- I've been teaching at a community college for almost twenty years. The drop out rate from online courses is astronomical, and most of the students I talk to much prefer being in class where they can ask questions and get feedback quickly.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:40 AM

256 posts, read 888,915 times
VS is a nice school.
as for online courses you have to be on everyday sometimes even 2-3 times..its stressful, but can be nice at times

Old 05-23-2008, 11:09 AM

156 posts, read 451,274 times
I have lots of experience in this area...

I started college last year at the age of 31, having NEVER attended any college. I took online classes and had planned to continue online classes for my degree. In my experience, it was best to log in daily to check the discussions taking place. I am still in online classes through a college in NY and I end this term on July 3rd. They have a few different start/stop dates, so yes, it's a little off.

As for TN, there are some rules for obtaining in state tuition rates WITHOUT having the one year residency. You will need to prove residency with your lease as well as TN license and a full time (35 hours min).

Motlow will be good because it will cost less per credit. As someone else said, you also need to factor in the cost of gas, are you really saving more with the drive? If you decide the drive isn't bad (I honestly have no idea where Motlow is, so I can't say), then it's best to get all your general ed requirements out of the way there and then transfer them to MTSU when you are done.

If you want to go to college, you will want to fill out your FAFSA at FAFSA.gov as soon as possible so that the school can know what financial aid you will need - also beneficial for YOU to know so you know if you need to take out loans (don't need to start being repaid until 6 months after you are done with school) or not. Feel free to DM me if you have financial aid questions - I have lots of experience there, especially after dealing with MTSU's financial aid dept!

As for online classes being harder - I don't know. My experience has been that they are relatively ok. My first term was two intro courses, so those tend to be easier anyway. This term I took Biology and Algebra - those kicked my behind. On the positive side, I didn't have to take a lab, disect anything, etc I have had issues with professors not responding to my e-mails fast enough (taking days and days to respond), so I look forward to trying in person classes at MTSU this fall.

I am only going part time, so yes, it will take me longer to complete my degree. Even if I finish my degree at 40, I figure I'll be 40 anyway, at least this way I'll be 40 WITH my degree and teaching a subject I enjoy!

Old 05-23-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad fiddler View Post
Why not just go to MTSU, since it's so close?

The community colleges nearest you look pretty far away, especially with gas prices going up.

I wouldn't recommend online courses for someone just starting -- I've been teaching at a community college for almost twenty years. The drop out rate from online courses is astronomical, and most of the students I talk to much prefer being in class where they can ask questions and get feedback quickly.
Hi Mad Fiddler-

I didn't think I could go to a University if I haven't gone to a community college first. I know that might sound stupid and I am 30 but I am new to all of this.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville