Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2023, 01:39 AM

29 posts, read 32,694 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to retire to Tennessee. My husband has visited the are since he has a Marine buddy in Spring Hill and loves the Tennessee. We can definitely live more financially comfortable than our state we currently live so we are considering TN. We are planning on a trip in the Spring to check out Murfreesboro and Hendersonville which peeked my interest. What area would be best for a retirement couple. Not interested in top rated schools for obvious reasons. Just want to be among friendly neighbors with amenities such as shopping, a town with a sense of community, safe neighborhood, good medical facilities, walking trails, husband wants a least 2 acres and parks. Our budget is about $750K-$800K or less if it needs an addition or remodeling (husband is a former builder). I don't need to be super close to Nashville since we will not be commuting for work but within an hour drive with traffic (which I read is horrendous) would be acceptable. I welcome an recommendations and opinions. Not expecting everything on my list of wants but most would be nice. Thank you!

Last edited by Jerzg; 01-04-2023 at 01:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2023, 04:59 AM

337 posts, read 449,111 times
I live in the Northern section of Murfreesboro in a 800 home subdivision. It's almost built out but there a few newer homes for sale. I've been all over the world with 20+ years of military service. Murfreesboro ranks up there as top places I have lived. I have been here almost 10 years. Lots of Medical facilities and more growing/adding each year. Where I am at, I can be on I-840 in about 3-4 minutes. I think you can find the 2 acres and home for the price you are budgeting for. You are welcome to DM any specific questions and I will answer or try to get you answers.

Old 01-04-2023, 08:47 AM

367 posts, read 585,498 times
Both are good choices, however, I would give the edge to Murfreesboro based on your criteria. Murfreesboro is larger with more shopping, restaurants, etc. Murfreesboro has St Thomas Hospital, a VA Hospital, and Vanderbilt just got a approved to build a hospital in Murfreesboro as well. Murfreesboro has a traditional downtown and historic area that Hendersonville doesn't really have. Murfreesboro has several parks with a greenway system with over 15 miles of path that connects many of them. Much of the greenway follows along the Stones River. My favorite park is Barfield Crescent Park that has several miles of back country hiking trails. Murfreesboro is also closer to Spring Hill, where your husband's friend lives, if that matters and Franklin, a popular town to visit.

Old 01-04-2023, 12:22 PM

Thank you JJAF for your service! I appreciate you sharing your opinion on Murfreesboro and your offer to answer any additional questions. I will definitely take you up on your offer. Medical facilities are important as we get older even though we are very health conscious people who plan on being active as long as possible. Murfreesboro greenway sure is awesome and we would definitely take advantage of that for sure. Once we visit, I am sure I will be able to know what area will work but your opinion sure does help.

Last edited by Jerzg; 01-04-2023 at 01:27 PM..

Old 01-04-2023, 12:30 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,796,609 times
My only memories of Murfreesboro are the great number of stoplights one had to endure to get anywhere in town. Is this still a-problem considering it has probably been fifteen years or so since I last tried to drive around in Murfreesboro?

Old 01-04-2023, 12:34 PM

MTFan I thought Murfreesboro had good restaurant choices from the research I have done but there was a realtor who did a YouTube video and in her pros and cons, she said one of the cons is that Murfreesboro doesn't have many "healthy" type of restaurants. More chain, fast foods but it has gotten better over time. Is that true? My husband do like to go out to eat so that would be a bummer if that is true.
Thank you for sharing bout the hiking trails. I kind of figured there are a lot of trails that exist that I will eventually find. I did find the greenway which looks amazing and certainly in my "pros" column.
Great point about being closer to Spring Hill where my husband's friend lives, however, he is planning on moving to Linden. He purchase like 20 acres out there and is planning on building a house in the future. My husband doesn't mind being far from his friend. He is thrilled that I would even consider the same state he lives in. LOL My husband has a Harley and loves riding the roads in Tennessee with him. It's more important to find the place that fits our needs for us in our retirement years.
Thank you for your feedback!

Old 01-04-2023, 07:35 PM

3,049 posts, read 3,317,957 times
Both are good but I would also rate Murfreesboro over Hendersonville. Getting to Spring Hill or Franklin or Linden would be easier. From Hendersonville somewhat restricted to come into Nashville.

Between the 2 maybe find some newer developments in Hendersonville. For some shopping Goodletsville and the Rivergate area is near.

Guess for your budget find an agent that knows the area to help you find the kind of property you need.

Old 01-05-2023, 10:03 AM

367 posts, read 585,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzg View Post
MTFan I thought Murfreesboro had good restaurant choices from the research I have done but there was a realtor who did a YouTube video and in her pros and cons, she said one of the cons is that Murfreesboro doesn't have many "healthy" type of restaurants. More chain, fast foods but it has gotten better over time. Is that true? My husband do like to go out to eat so that would be a bummer if that is true.
Thank you for sharing bout the hiking trails. I kind of figured there are a lot of trails that exist that I will eventually find. I did find the greenway which looks amazing and certainly in my "pros" column.
Great point about being closer to Spring Hill where my husband's friend lives, however, he is planning on moving to Linden. He purchase like 20 acres out there and is planning on building a house in the future. My husband doesn't mind being far from his friend. He is thrilled that I would even consider the same state he lives in. LOL My husband has a Harley and loves riding the roads in Tennessee with him. It's more important to find the place that fits our needs for us in our retirement years.
Thank you for your feedback!

Murfreesboro does have healthy and good restaurants. Probably not as many as most people would like but they are there. There are lots of fast food and fast causal restaurants as well because they are cheaper and there is a major university in town. I would imagine all the college students support these places. A couple of my favorite local restaurants are Primrose and The Alley. They are worth checking out when you are in town.

Old 01-25-2023, 11:59 AM

223 posts, read 583,171 times
I noted that your husband rides a Harley. There is a local Harley dealership in Murfreesboro if that would make a difference. As with the other comments I agree with them having moved from Illinois to Murfreesboro a little over 14 years ago when I retired.

Old 01-28-2023, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM123 View Post
I noted that your husband rides a Harley. There is a local Harley dealership in Murfreesboro if that would make a difference. As with the other comments I agree with them having moved from Illinois to Murfreesboro a little over 14 years ago when I retired.
Thank your letting me know about the Harley dealership. Good to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville