Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2008, 03:40 PM

20 posts, read 41,642 times

Advertisements

About a year and a half of serious thought and planning is complete and I will be leaving NJ and picking up the keys to a downtown apartment on Jan 15. I am flying down with just some suitcases and than will fly to NJ and drive my car with some more stuff down later in the month (I'll have movers send the big stuff once I sell my place).

I plan on splitting the drive from NJ to Nashville into 2 days. Can anyone recommend a good destination to shoot for stopping on the first night. I do not want to drive any more than 8 hours on the first leg and my car is a convertible that will be packed with stuff, so safety is really important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 05:01 PM

597 posts, read 2,108,077 times
It's been a while since I've done this trip, but in the past, I did the same thing a couple of times, staying over in Roanoke, Virginia. It's a nice city and always felt safe. I have no recommendations on the city or where to stay, but to split a trip, it always seemed a good place for me.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:23 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,279,296 times
We drove from Connecticut to Nashville last year. There are lots of motels/hotels at the different exits along I-81 through Virginia you could stop at.

My best advice is to stop when you get tired, even if it's a shorter distance than you wanted to travel. We took an extra day travelling down because we were too tired to drive at one point.

Safety is more important than how fast you get here. I wish you the best with your drive down.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubs View Post
About a year and a half of serious thought and planning is complete and I will be leaving NJ and picking up the keys to a downtown apartment on Jan 15. I am flying down with just some suitcases and than will fly to NJ and drive my car with some more stuff down later in the month (I'll have movers send the big stuff once I sell my place).

I plan on splitting the drive from NJ to Nashville into 2 days. Can anyone recommend a good destination to shoot for stopping on the first night. I do not want to drive any more than 8 hours on the first leg and my car is a convertible that will be packed with stuff, so safety is really important.
It would be about 8 hours if you stop at Roanke, VA. It's half way.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:48 AM

3 posts, read 8,597 times
What made you decide to move to Nashville? Just wondering I'm looking to move and wanted to get your perspective.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:18 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,364,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubs View Post

My son is doing the same thing in a few weeks!! He's just waiting for a background check to clear for his new job here, and to give notice He'll be living in Murfreesboro.He's renting so will not have to sell.

I would stop in Ronake, VA. that is where I stopped on my move down here(full cAr). We stayed at the Country Inn and Suites

Country Inn & Suites Roanoke: Hotel in Roanoke VA: Smoke-Free Roanoke Hotel

Safe Area, nice Hotel. Do NOT eat at the Mexican Restaurant there, my daughter and I got food poisioning. My husband was fine. We traveled down with 2 cars. Our Furniture(the little we took) " You may find its cheaper to buy New" left a few days before us. We took very little and it was $4000. The rest we bought new.
Good Luc on your trip from NJ. I moved from Manalapan, 2 1/2 years ago, now my son is following.

Diane G
We told my son to dump his old things, not worth moving my old furniture.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:12 PM

764 posts, read 2,548,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
My son is doing the same thing in a few weeks!! He's just waiting for a background check to clear for his new job here, and to give notice He'll be living in Murfreesboro.He's renting so will not have to sell.

I would stop in Ronake, VA. that is where I stopped on my move down here(full cAr). We stayed at the Country Inn and Suites

Country Inn & Suites Roanoke: Hotel in Roanoke VA: Smoke-Free Roanoke Hotel

Safe Area, nice Hotel. Do NOT eat at the Mexican Restaurant there, my daughter and I got food poisioning. My husband was fine. We traveled down with 2 cars. Our Furniture(the little we took) " You may find its cheaper to buy New" left a few days before us. We took very little and it was $4000. The rest we bought new.
Good Luc on your trip from NJ. I moved from Manalapan, 2 1/2 years ago, now my son is following.

Diane G
We told my son to dump his old things, not worth moving my old furniture.
Diane, that's GREAT news about your son! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him that everything is smooth sailing from here on out! Yay!

MM

Old 01-02-2009, 11:13 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,364,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
Diane, that's GREAT news about your son! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him that everything is smooth sailing from here on out! Yay!

MM
Mary, Thanks! We are very happy about this. I hope this background check does not take long. He wants to give notice on his job, and get out of NJ.
We already found a nice Apartment complex for him, near his job.

Diane G
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: