Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,402 times

Advertisements

I am currently in the process of interviewing for a job in Franklin, so I am trying to get some insight into the Franklin/Brentwood/S. Nashville area. I currently live in Austin, TX and have been to Nashville several times for work -but usually just over night visits and was mainly by the airport (worked for Dell previously). In the couple of time I got out to the Green Hills area I really liked it (reminded of Austin) and I also visited some family in Brentwood and thought it was beautiful.

My wife and I are 40+ (but feel more like 30+) and have a 4 1/2 year old. We are a mixed family. My wife is hispanic, I am white and our adopted son is black (Belizean).

We would be looking for a house in the $200K range (3 br / 2 bath), so don't know if that rules out Brentwood or nicer areas of S. Nashville.

My main concerns are around living somewhere that has good schools, supports an active lifestyle (we're runners/bikers), but most importantly is accepting of a family like ours.

Any and all input is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 09:39 AM

144 posts, read 465,768 times
Since schools are important to you, I would go ahead and remove S. Nashville from your list. I went to high school in South Nashville at Overton, and it was an amazing school then with a 99% rate of students going on to college. Now it has a much worse graduation rate!

Brentwood may be a stretch, but if you'd be open to a fixer upper, it can be possible.

Frankin would probably work best for you. I think you could find plenty to do and make many friends, and the schools are top notch. And you should be able to get a nice house for $200K (although it'll take some effort on your agent's part).

How much work would you be willing to put into a house? How old is too old for a house?

Old 07-01-2009, 12:12 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,871 times
I would look at Franklin and in particular try to get something in the Franklin special School district.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:46 PM

317 posts, read 1,231,334 times
Brentwood's minimum price will be more than this. In Franklin, there aren't a ton right around $200,000 but some neighborhoods you could check out are: Boyd Mill, Falcon Creek, Fieldstone Farms, Idlewood, Meadowgreen Acres, Franklin Green and Rebel Meadows. There may be a few other subdivisions with 1 house currently available in that range, but those listed here will have a few.

Otherwise, to expand your options, you can look into Nolensville (close to Brentwood/South Nashville), and some of it is still in Williamson County.

Lastly, where you'll find many more options in your range at better value (more house for the price) will be in Spring Hill or Thompsons Station. It's a bit of a hike to Nashville from those areas, but if you're working in Franklin...you'll be within a reasonable commute to Franklin.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:53 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,633,731 times
Of Dena's (excellent) list, I would say Falcon Creek is by far the top choice. If you can find a house there in your range, grab it!

Good luck with your move.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:50 PM

872 posts, read 1,856,615 times
I know this is an old thread but how are the housing prices now as compared to the few posts above?

Old 07-05-2009, 06:59 PM

Old thread? Just a few days old.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:38 PM

872 posts, read 1,856,615 times
My bad...I looked at the poster's join date not the date of the post.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:06 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
I was looking at houses in the Franklin area just 2 weeks ago. I, too, started with $200,000 and got some good and some bad but it's certainly possible. The best place to look is realtracs.com. You can look by school district, etc. I typed in a Franklin zip code (the only one I know, there are probably more) of 37069. There ARE a lot of those 'developments' . . . . . I rather liked the houses in Franklin Green. The newer ones seem closer and closer together. Also looked at Fieldstone Farms and an OLD neighborhood called Monticello - more ranch types, all brick. On realtracs you'll see the name of the development. Once you get the page for the listing, click on the photo and you'll see more photos. I just took a peek and there are some for $189,000. Remember to look ABOVE what you can afford and just make a lower bid. I have heard just great things about Franklin and have visited friends there several times over the last few years. Ready to make a move!

Old 07-07-2009, 04:08 PM

Main Franklin zips are 37064 and 37067.

I agree-realtracs is the best site for you. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville