Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 03:06 PM

231 posts, read 869,487 times

Advertisements

Also look at Rutherford County....
Smyrna is also very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 04:44 PM

91 posts, read 302,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I echo vivelafrance's sentiments towards Hendersonville. We love it there. But he's said it all.

As far as the not-so-nice areas, you'll hear different things from different people, but I think you can pretty well rule out North Nashville/Bordeaux. As for the rest of the area, you probably should just search the board for more information. You'll find discussion about the decent neighborhoods and sketchy neighborhoods in the following areas: Inglewood, Antioch (loads of threads/posts about the pros and cons of Antioch), East Nashville, Edgewood, and Madison. Bottom line, some people really love those neighborhoods...other people think the charm is hard to find. My take is that it all depends on what part of the neighborhoods you're looking at. For "safe bets" you're probably better off looking in Williamson County (Brentwood/Franklin), Green Hills/Belle Meade (if budget isn't a concern), Hendersonville, or Mt. Juliet.

Why would you rule put Bordeaux? Aside from a gradually increase in the average amount of crime nothing is wrong with it. Is is a quiet suburb, one that borders the wrong neighborhood. NN is horrible i agree there, but Bordeaux is a quiet suburb.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:25 AM

20 posts, read 99,770 times
Just weighing in here..I live in Bellevue and I like it because I feel safe overall and it's convenient to everything that I need. HOWEVER...I would not call it a beautiful area at all. The area that I refer to that I don't think is very desirable in terms of appearance is all the way down Highway 70 and especially the string of shopping plazas/restaurants/gas stations where Hwy 70 and Old Hickory Blvd meet. That Kroger plaza is absolutely disgusting...all of those stores and the way everything looks is just depressing to me. Sorry if that offends anyone, but for what I pay for rent in Bellevue, you'd think that this is an upscale area.

But with all that said, Bellevue is a safe area and it has a lot to offer in terms of convenience. The area of Bellevue off of Highway 100 is much nicer to look at, but it's really the outskirts of Bellevue and sitting right next to Franklin.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:44 PM

215 posts, read 682,018 times
I would say the best suburbs of Nashville are Bellevue,Hermitage,Donelson,Old Hickory,Whites Creek,and Joelton.However the thing is that Whites Creek and Joelton are under developed in terms of business but if they had more businesses I would say yes to them.

Yet Whites Creek and Joelton are as safe as Bellevue and less expensive but less developed compared to Donelson,Hermitage,Old Hickory and Bellevue so I would go with those if you like being close to things and still want a very safe area but yet you could be close to Hermitage and safer living in Old Hickory,TN but anyway there it all is.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:17 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman2 View Post
I would say the best suburbs of Nashville are Bellevue,Hermitage,Donelson,Old Hickory,Whites Creek,and Joelton.However the thing is that Whites Creek and Joelton are under developed in terms of business but if they had more businesses I would say yes to them.

Yet Whites Creek and Joelton are as safe as Bellevue and less expensive but less developed compared to Donelson,Hermitage,Old Hickory and Bellevue so I would go with those if you like being close to things and still want a very safe area but yet you could be close to Hermitage and safer living in Old Hickory,TN but anyway there it all is.

None of those areas are true suburbs of Nashville because they are all a part of Nashville. (With the exception of Old Hickory) They are suburban parts of the city of Nashville.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:28 AM

67 posts, read 221,569 times
Default Bellevue Blandness

I agree with you about Bellevue not being beautiful. It's actually kind of bland looking and the rents aren't inexpensive so you would think it would be more attractive. It's middle of the road looking and the Kroger plaza is not attractive at all. Bellevue is safe and quiet and there are lots of stores in one overcrowded strip mall--but try to find a parking space there-I dare you! I think they should have left a little bit more of the forest that they stripped down to create those cookied cutter condos--at least some trees would add a little green charm to what is a rather bland area of Nashville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvaB View Post
Just weighing in here..I live in Bellevue and I like it because I feel safe overall and it's convenient to everything that I need. HOWEVER...I would not call it a beautiful area at all. The area that I refer to that I don't think is very desirable in terms of appearance is all the way down Highway 70 and especially the string of shopping plazas/restaurants/gas stations where Hwy 70 and Old Hickory Blvd meet. That Kroger plaza is absolutely disgusting...all of those stores and the way everything looks is just depressing to me. Sorry if that offends anyone, but for what I pay for rent in Bellevue, you'd think that this is an upscale area.

But with all that said, Bellevue is a safe area and it has a lot to offer in terms of convenience. The area of Bellevue off of Highway 100 is much nicer to look at, but it's really the outskirts of Bellevue and sitting right next to Franklin.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:25 PM

27 posts, read 77,940 times
Default schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
(unfortunately--being high acheiving yankee education snobs that means we also now pay private school tuition for 3 kids).
we are looking to relocate to Tennessee from NJ, when I saw your comment it made me have to ask why is it that you prefer to send your children to private schools? Are the public schools that bad in TN? My children currently attend private school in NJ and I was hoping to find excellent public schools to be able to send them to...

Old 06-10-2010, 07:57 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoTN View Post
we are looking to relocate to Tennessee from NJ, when I saw your comment it made me have to ask why is it that you prefer to send your children to private schools? Are the public schools that bad in TN?
No, it just depends on where you live and whether or not your child can get into a Magnet school.

However, if you can afford to send your kids to private school, I'm not sure it's such a bad idea. Nashville offers some really top notch college prep schools like Montgomery Bell and Harpeth Hall.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:44 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoTN View Post
we are looking to relocate to Tennessee from NJ, when I saw your comment it made me have to ask why is it that you prefer to send your children to private schools? Are the public schools that bad in TN? My children currently attend private school in NJ and I was hoping to find excellent public schools to be able to send them to...
Things I took for granted in the northeast aren't available in the public schools here. Williamson is supposedly the "best" school district in the state and yet they don't over foreign language instruction until 8th/9th grade. Our public school up north started in K. Same with music. They public schools don't over instrument lessons starting in 3/4th grade like they did in our old district. Most telling though, and easiest to compare, was the 4th graders were doing the same math my daughter did in 2nd grade.

Our urban school district that was considered one of the worst in the state was better than Williamson in terms of offerings, academic programs etc. The public high school sent at least 20 students every year to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Stanford, etc. I don't see those schools listed when people list where they are going to college from the public schools (or even a lot of the private schools.)

The heavy emphasis on the "test" is also off-putting.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:26 AM

27 posts, read 77,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Things I took for granted in the northeast aren't available in the public schools here. Williamson is supposedly the "best" school district in the state and yet they don't over foreign language instruction until 8th/9th grade. Our public school up north started in K. Same with music. They public schools don't over instrument lessons starting in 3/4th grade like they did in our old district. Most telling though, and easiest to compare, was the 4th graders were doing the same math my daughter did in 2nd grade.

Our urban school district that was considered one of the worst in the state was better than Williamson in terms of offerings, academic programs etc. The public high school sent at least 20 students every year to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Stanford, etc. I don't see those schools listed when people list where they are going to college from the public schools (or even a lot of the private schools.)

The heavy emphasis on the "test" is also off-putting.
Wow! My kids go to a catholic school in NJ and they have spanish, computers, all the usual specials like art, music, gym, library etc. starting in Kindergarten! Their school is huge in technology and science, major emphasis in those areas. They also don't offer actual instruments till 3rd/4th either which is not a big deal for me anyway, but the academics are super important. It's surprising with all the great colleges in TN that there is not a higher standard set early on in school. Our school system whether public or private has a high % of kids going on to college/university. I just can't take the high taxes and the high cost of living here. My kids will have a hard time affording to live here when they want to be on their own! Where do your kids go to school? What area of TN are you living in? We are coming down in October to scout out areas, I'm so overwhelmed, I don't even know where to begin. I tried to reach out to a realtor for some guidance but she hasn't responded to me. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville