Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 05:33 PM

4 posts, read 11,718 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for all your comments & valuable information. We have decided to look at homes in the Murfreesboro & Smyrna areas only. We plan on taking a trip this spring to check out both cities. To narrow our search for the right style of home, priced home, & environment, it would be nice to know exactly what your opinions are of which areas of each town you would recommend living in, East, West, S.W., etc., & do your recommendations include local Shopping Malls, Grocery Stores, Hospitals's, Parks, & type of traffic. We are interested in a newer ranch-style home w/bonus room; price range from $170's to upper $180's. We appreciate your feedback. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 06:12 PM

353 posts, read 1,000,780 times
I moved to Smyrna from the northeast 2 years ago. And couldn't be happier. Although I dislike my commute to Nashville. My morning takes me roughly 1/2 hour, the evening 45 min to an hour. (Prior to my move I worked a 5 minute drive from home.)
There are many hospitals in the area. Smyrna has Stone Crest Medical Center (part of the Tri-Star medical) and Murfreesboro has Middle Tenn. Medical Center (MTMC) part of the St. Thomas Health System.
There are many sub divisions in the Smyrna/Murfreesboro area with new homes in your range and style prefereces. Both, cities have anything and everything you could want.
Hope this helps, any other questions ask away...

Old 02-01-2011, 06:25 AM

223 posts, read 582,827 times
I would echo Why_I_Am_Here statements. I would strongly suggest lining up a realtor to show you around both areas. That's what we did 3 years ago. They did a great job of showng us both Smyrna and Murfreesboro and were very helpful in our decision making process.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:42 PM

163 posts, read 582,553 times
Depending on where your job is would help narrow your search. My husband got a job in Smyrna but we weren't sure if we wanted to live in Smyrna. But after 3 long months of searching all surrounding areas, we chose Smyrna. The town is nice, with plenty to do, plus it is not far from Murfreesboro or Nashville. We worked with a great realtor that helped us so much in finding the right fit for us and our family.

We also looked at realtor.com for houses. We picked what we liked, then went to look at it with our realtor. While driving to them, we looked at the area and what was close by. We even talked to a few neighbors if they were outside. Overall, it is what you feel you want. In the two months, we have been here, I have loved it. We are minutes from anything which is so nice.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:41 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbs10 View Post
Thank you everyone for all your comments & valuable information. We have decided to look at homes in the Murfreesboro & Smyrna areas only. We plan on taking a trip this spring to check out both cities. To narrow our search for the right style of home, priced home, & environment, it would be nice to know exactly what your opinions are of which areas of each town you would recommend living in, East, West, S.W., etc., & do your recommendations include local Shopping Malls, Grocery Stores, Hospitals's, Parks, & type of traffic. We are interested in a newer ranch-style home w/bonus room; price range from $170's to upper $180's. We appreciate your feedback. Thank you.
you'll get the best bang for your buck in Murfreesboro and wont' need to go to Nashville..more upscale than Smyrna...it's like Mayberry college town with a cute downtown and great malls -Avenue which is brand new and Stones River - also not as congested or polluted or humid here as it is in Nashville which is more in the bowl of the valley)

Old 02-10-2011, 02:16 AM

19 posts, read 146,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
you'll get the best bang for your buck in Murfreesboro and wont' need to go to Nashville..more upscale than Smyrna...it's like Mayberry college town with a cute downtown and great malls -Avenue which is brand new and Stones River - also not as congested or polluted or humid here as it is in Nashville which is more in the bowl of the valley)
yeah living in Mayberry wouldn't be boring at all...

Commutes only take about 10 or 15 minutes if you live in Nashville because you never need to use the interstates!

Take I-24 to Murfreesboro during rush hour and then you'll know the definition of the word congested.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,676 times
I am planning to move from Detroit to Murfresboro in May my one question is what kind of wild life can I expect to see such as snakes and thing of that nature???? Secondly how is the job rate down there I have been on Career builder and have got several calls for jobs in Nashville will I really need a car to get around is it public transportation???

Old 04-22-2011, 05:32 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnesha523 View Post
I am planning to move from Detroit to Murfresboro in May my one question is what kind of wild life can I expect to see such as snakes and thing of that nature???? Secondly how is the job rate down there I have been on Career builder and have got several calls for jobs in Nashville will I really need a car to get around is it public transportation???
If you're moving to Murfreesboro, I can't imagine trying to get around not having a car. It's even really, really difficult in Nashville itself (really only feasible if you live 3-5 miles from downtown).

As far as "wildlife," it depends on where you live...places closer to the edge of the burbs, parks, or heavily wooded areas will probably see a bit more in the way of critters...but generally speaking, most of them do not pose any real danger...they can sometimes be a nuisance.

Tennessee does have a few poisonous snakes, but I've only ever heard of Copperheads in Middle Tennessee. Snakebites are rare (unless you step on them, so watch where you walk), and the Copperhead is one of the least dangerous of the poisonous snakes.

Besides snakes, there are lots of raccoons, possums, skunks, and other small mammals, and a whole lot of deer. There are also some predators, in smaller numbers, like bobcats, coyotes, and foxes...but they pose little threat to people.

There's nothing here I would call scary. Except for deer. You'll drive down a dark, windy road at night and one of those f#$kers will jump right out in front of you, and if you're lucky, the only mess you'll be cleaning up is in your pants.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,676 times
Thanks I am not worried about the deer we have them here and the skunks and raccoons so that want be a problem I just hate the snake part as long as they stay outside and not in the house i will be fine thank you I do have a small dog so i will make sure when she goes out she is safe and that she has all her shots up to date anything else I should be aware of

Old 04-23-2011, 08:35 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnesha523 View Post
Thanks I am not worried about the deer we have them here and the skunks and raccoons so that want be a problem I just hate the snake part as long as they stay outside and not in the house i will be fine thank you I do have a small dog so i will make sure when she goes out she is safe and that she has all her shots up to date anything else I should be aware of
Snakes aren't a real big issue here. I don't know anyone who has been bitten or had a poisonous snake in their house. I'm sure it happens...but it's very rare. I have only seen a Copperhead twice in person, and both times were in heavily wooded areas in parks.

For a small dog, I think the only thing I would make sure of is that it can have access to a safe place (like in the house or in the garage) via a doggy door. I've heard rumors of people saying that coyotes (again, primarily in the more wooded areas) killing pets...but I've also heard more official sources say that coyotes don't typically bother pets...not their particular prey (though they are scavengers). Definitely make sure your dog is up to date on its rabies shot, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville