Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 04:01 PM

764 posts, read 2,549,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lala27poodles View Post
*sighs*
Here are the things I remember and miss the most about Opryland:

Screamin Delta Demon
Hangman
Original Chaos, before it got all craptastic....remember the trippy line, with all the ticking clocks and stuff lmao? I felt like I was in a Pink Floyd video.
The fruit drinks in the fruit shaped cups
The petting zoo! And the deer world! And the giant monkey cage! I LOVED bottle feeding the baby animals, everytime we went......had to do it.
The teacup ride, Doo wah city in general. They had the little 50's diner..... and then there was the high swings, the airplane, tin lizzies, the sky lift,
I just miss it all lol!
Oh, I had forgotten all about those fruit shaped drink cups! They were such a special treat when I was a kid. Remember the crooked room with the sloped floors? The workers could roll balls *up* a tilted table!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 07:35 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
Oh, I had forgotten all about those fruit shaped drink cups! They were such a special treat when I was a kid. Remember the crooked room with the sloped floors? The workers could roll balls *up* a tilted table!
I always loved that place! I don't remember what the real name was, but its nickname was the "tiltin' Hilton."

I remember going once during the middle of the week and there were so few people at Opryland that I got to ride the Wabash Cannonball six times without having to leave my seat. The back seat was always the best. Weekends at the park were always packed. And, of course, the Grizzly River Rampage was awesome and always had a huge long line. We'd always go straight from the Grizzly River Rampage to the Tennessee Waltz to dry off.

I also remember the Rockin' Roller Coaster (originally called the Timber Topper, I believe) where it always looked like our heads were going to hit a few trees. And those tea cup things were amazing with it pitch dark except the black lights and then the loud thumping 50s music.

Opryland did draw quite a few out-of-town visitors, the proof is the drastic drop in hotel occupancies throughout Nashville after Opryland shut down. It still irritates the crap out of me that Gaylord bulldozed it all and built a stupid mall in its place.

I don't know that Dollywood's attendance went up drastically after Opryland shut down so I'm not sure that a Nashville Dollywood would cannibalize the original. And I really do think that a country music-themed theme park (that sounds weird) would do well. I know a LOT of people who went to Opryland and never rode the rides, they went strictly for the shows. If I had a hundred million dollars I'd buy a few hundred acres in Wilson County and give it a shot.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:58 AM

76 posts, read 222,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonelove View Post
I would hardly call Opry Mills horrible and dangerous! I DO agree that i miss Opryland. Like many of you said: there are many awesome childhood memories there. I live down in Memphis, and trust me, be thankful for places like Opry Mills and just Nashville in general. You don't know horrible and dangerous until you live down here.
Is it really that bad? I have not been since I was a child.......Currently I hear very little positive feedback about Memphis and that the best thing in the city is the highways leading out of that town. I have been kind of curious to check it out, but stayed away after hearing all of the negative stuff about it.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonelove View Post
I would hardly call Opry Mills horrible and dangerous! I DO agree that i miss Opryland. Like many of you said: there are many awesome childhood memories there. I live down in Memphis, and trust me, be thankful for places like Opry Mills and just Nashville in general. You don't know horrible and dangerous until you live down here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sek1986 View Post
I see your point, however the corporate planners must have not understood the basic economic concept of diminishing returns, which in this case would apply as there is an optimum number of stores and an optimum level of sensory overload to maximize revenue, that, when exceeded, actually causes revenues to decrease. Opry Mills is colossally larger than a grocery store, not to mention grocery items are commodities. If I start at the Food Court, by the time I reach Bed Bath & Beyond, I'm going to physically and mentally overstimulated and annoyed from all the people who have asked me if I want to see how a ShamWow works or gotten just a little too far into my personal space waving a bottle of lotion "Can I ask you a question?" No, you may not. By that time, if the product I came to purchase isn't relatively easy to locate, I will hang it up.
I agree, I can't count how many times I have walked around Opry Mills and wish I could go down the center of the mall with a bulldozer and take out the retail kiosks and the sales people that try to physically grab you when you walk by to try their "life changing" product!

Old 10-10-2010, 07:10 PM

3,048 posts, read 3,317,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Please forgive this out-of-towner for joining in. I am sorry about the demise of the amusement park. I can sympathsize with everyone's loss.

When I was in Nashville, a local resident advised me not to visit the mall because it was dangerous, especially at night. I went anyway on a Saturday late morning. With my out-of-town eyes, it looked nice to me, but what do I know. I liked the touch tank for the kids, the little train for the kids, and the idea that there was a movie theater and it even had an IMAX. I was surpised, however, that there were no large anchor stores. Does anyone know why?
IMHO the PTB forgot the purpose for Opryland. For a time, the Opry was in trouble & so was WSM radio. It may have worked to have an outdoor arena with different kinds of live music. Moving the Opry downtown to the Ryman for the winter was the best move.

For an anchor mall store I guess you have no need for Bass Pro Shop or the Gibson Showcase. I think they tried to make a mix of outlet mall + stores unique to Nashville. Too bad Nashville does not have a hometown department store.

As for being "dangerous" it appears the NP did a good job of removing the rowdy element. It sure made a difference when the GJ or the Opryhouse had an event once the newness wore off.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:36 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,800 times
Thought I would post the map to the park for old time's sake.

Chaos was my favorite ride. It was clocks at first (remember the PA announcement "your time is running out..."?) then they changed it to the spaceship motif which was still good but not as good as the clocks. *sigh*

Old 10-13-2010, 09:21 PM

764 posts, read 2,549,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Thought I would post the map to the park for old time's sake.
Awesome! Thanks so much for posting this!!!

Old 10-14-2010, 04:41 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Ah, the Grizzly River Rampage.

"Hey we're almost at the end and I haven't gotten any water on me yet!"

*DUMP*

"Never mind."

Old 10-14-2010, 10:16 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,208,818 times
That map brings back some memories...

Old 10-23-2010, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Ah, the Grizzly River Rampage.

"Hey we're almost at the end and I haven't gotten any water on me yet!"

*DUMP*

"Never mind."
YUP....those were my exact thoughts.....lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville