Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 08:17 PM

5 posts, read 8,295 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm moving to Nashville from Atlanta in May. I'll be working in Brentwood but thought that living in the city would offer a better social life. I've driven around the city a bit and think that the Hillsboro area would be great!
I've already looked at Century, Marquee, and Grove apartment buildings in the area and think they could work but perhap some of you may know a privately-owned building that could be a good option.
I'm looking for a 2bed place. I have my own washer and dryer so just need the hook ups. I do have a dog though. He's a well trained 7-year old nuetered pointer - a bit like a skinny lab and he weighs about 70lbs.
And I have a car so would prefer off-street parking.
I keep scouring craigslist but it seems limited in what's available and I'm sure that there must be more out there - I just can't find their ads!
My budget is up to $1500.

If you could suggest apartments complex names or offer contact names then that would be so very nice!

Thanks in advance for your responses!!

Daniel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 11:11 PM

374 posts, read 693,573 times
Try realtracs.com (rentals, area 2). A lot of places just put signs out front so if possible I'd suggest taking temporary digs and looking once you get here. There are plenty of sublets and temporary situations on Craig's List. Also try summitnashville.com and http://www.rentals.com/Tennessee/Nas...anagement.aspx

At $1500 you could even get a small house (unless apartment life is preferable to you).

Last edited by sucrose; 04-28-2010 at 12:10 AM.. Reason: add'l info

Old 05-02-2010, 09:29 AM

Default How about Germantown?

Thank you for that!

I've been reading a bit about Germantown. Is that a nice, walkable neighborhood? I'm really looking to be able to park my car on a Friday night and not need it to get to bars, restaurants, and parks for my pooch.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Old 05-02-2010, 12:38 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,510,550 times
I urge you to check out Germantown. It has pockets that are still pretty "iffy". So if you can drive up here prior to your move, you can drive all around those areas to see if they fit you. For what you're looking for in lifestyle, you might check out some new apartments at 17th and State Streets. I think they are almost finished... and they're named 1700 Midtown Apartments.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:57 PM

933 posts, read 2,743,079 times
You should check out renting a house in East Nashville as well. Check out the neighborhoods of Lockeland Springs and Eastwood Neighbors. There are a lot of artists and musician types that live in the area and about everyone owns a dog or three. You would be able to walk to a bunch of restaurants (Margot, Eastland Cafe, Rosepepper, Rumours East Wine and Art to name just a few), coffee shops (Portland Brew East, Ugly Mugs, Bongo Java East), music venues (The Five Spot, Family Wash, foobar, Drifters), and bars (3 Crow, Beyond The Edge, Red Door East, Lipstick Lounge, Mad Donna's to name a few as well). You also have Shelby Park which is a beautiful park with a new walking bridge connecting Two Rivers Park and itself) and it also has a dog park. You might want to Google some of the places I mentioned and search on this site for more pro's and cons. Oh yeah, the Tomato Art Fest is in August which is a blast.

Inglewood might also be an option but is not quite as walkable, there's some new shops and restaurants collectively called Riverside Village - Sip, Mitchell's Deli, Wantanabe, Castrillo's Pizza, East Nashville School of Music, A Bark Above and newly built The Beer Garden...Good luck wherever you decide land.

Last edited by yank283; 05-02-2010 at 03:23 PM..

Old 05-02-2010, 09:28 PM

225 posts, read 586,287 times
Atlanta native here. What part of Atlanta are you coming from and what part of Atlanta would you desire to live in? It's really hard to compare Atlanta and Nashville but I can try my best to help out.

Germantown isn't as walkable as you might be perceiving it to be. It's a nice area and still gentrifying but you would have to drive to bars, restaurants, and parks.

Yank283's suggestion about E. Nashville is legit. E. Nashville is more like a hybrid of Candler Park, Little Five Points, The Highlands, Ponce, and Decatur...

Inglewood is more like Peachtree Hills, Morningside, and Peachtree Battle... on a Chamblee/Doraville budget (if that makes sense at all).

Both areas are GREAT. Again, everything is dependent on what type of area you would like to live in so feel free to ask away.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:00 PM

Thank you for all of your responses!!

I took a look at the 1700 Midtown apartments and they looked very cool - unfortunately they had a max dog size of 25lbs. Basically a large cat! Seemingly a lot of the apartment complexes have a dog size limit unfortunately.

I've seen pictures of a nice couple of houses on 5th Avenue in Germantown, and a loft at the Werthan Mill location - whadoyathink?

I'm moving from Dunwoody, just north of I285 in Atlanta. It's a great little town that's very walkable.

Thank you for your comparisons to the neighborhoods in Atlanta - that helps so much!

I like the idea of East Atlanta and will check it out if the commute to Brentwood isn't too bad.

Thank you again for all of your comments. Hopefully none of you were affected too badly by the storms. Atlanta had about 12" of so of rain in a couple of days back in September. Not fun.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:20 PM

225 posts, read 586,287 times
Glad I could be of help! Again, it's just my impression from what I've seen thus far but since I am a true Atlanta native, I figured it might help. You would be doing a reverse commute to Brentwood so the commute would be no more than half an hour.

I grew up in Dunwoody and worked/lived in Midtown/Buckhead/Decatur/Downtown after college so if you need any more help, feel free to holler!

Old 05-03-2010, 08:05 PM

Thank you so much!

Aside from craigslist.com can you recommend any other local websites to check for listings?

Old 05-03-2010, 08:21 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blokey_75067 View Post
Thank you so much!

Aside from craigslist.com can you recommend any other local websites to check for listings?
Craigslist is not as commonly used here. But here are some suggestions:

Nashville Apartments and Rental Properties

Nashville Apartments | Search Apartments in Nashville TN

Nashville Apartments - Find Your Nashville Apartment on ApartmentGuide.com

RealTracs Mid-South Real Estate Search Values
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville