Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 11:33 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,133,395 times

Advertisements

Beenaroundabit
befriend
279 posts, read 448,417 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty
There's no 100% certainty that a child won't be a serial killer so how about we kill it? Hell, we better kill them all. Swans don't do mass killings. Humans do.
I must say that it's pretty sad that there are people that don't see some animals as "majestic" or even "beautiful. It's pitiful.
And I will add that I make my statements with some substantial knowledge of natural sciences - I'm just not an Internet idiot that runs their mouth like a know it all.

Once again, sarcasm only works when you actually have a sensible argument. And while you're busy insulting me, perhaps you could enlighten us all with some of your "knowledge of natural sciences..." Because what you've advocated here flies in the face of every science-based and well-established conservation principle known to man. I'm curious to know what "knowledge" you're referring to while defending the "keep-these-creatures-because-they're-pretty" viewpoint?

I've never proclaimed to know everything. Please show me where I've done that. I also never said animals were not "beautiful." I did say - several times - that there has to be balance. I'll break it down to plant-life for you: every single wild creature cannot exist simultaneously in the same ecosystem without encroaching upon one another, so it's our responsibility (if we want to keep as many around as possible...and since we're the biggest "encroachers" to begin with) to try and maintain balance.

You know, why don't you tell me what you do for a living. I'll then proceed - without any real background or experience regarding your career field - to disagree with everything you say, ignore every factual link you post, and continue to argue, simply because I don't like your opinion. And just to illustrate my professionalism and maturity, I'll call you an "idiot" to boot .

Beenaroundabit
befriend
279 posts, read 448,417 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty
There's no 100% certainty that a child won't be a serial killer so how about we kill it? Hell, we better kill them all. Swans don't do mass killings. Humans do.
I must say that it's pretty sad that there are people that don't see some animals as "majestic" or even "beautiful. It's pitiful.
And I will add that I make my statements with some substantial knowledge of natural sciences - I'm just not an Internet idiot that runs their mouth like a know it all.

Once again, sarcasm only works when you actually have a sensible argument. And while you're busy insulting me, perhaps you could enlighten us all with some of your "knowledge of natural sciences..." Because what you've advocated here flies in the face of every science-based and well-established conservation principle known to man. I'm curious to know what "knowledge" you're referring to while defending the "keep-these-creatures-because-they're-pretty" viewpoint?

I've never proclaimed to know everything. Please show me where I've done that. I also never said animals were not "beautiful." I did say - several times - that there has to be balance. I'll break it down to plant-life for you: every single wild creature cannot exist simultaneously in the same ecosystem without encroaching upon one another, so it's our responsibility (if we want to keep as many around as possible...and since we're the biggest "encroachers" to begin with) to try and maintain balance.

You know, why don't you tell me what you do for a living. I'll then proceed - without any real background or experience regarding your career field - to disagree with everything you say, ignore every factual link you post, and continue to argue, simply because I don't like your opinion. And just to illustrate my professionalism and maturity, I'll call you an "idiot" to boot .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 06:36 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,758 times
Email received from Goosewatch. Please consider joining!

Thank you to everyone who has spoken up in defense of New York's mute swans! The DEC received approximately 50,000 emails in opposition to their proposal! Because of our efforts, we may be able to prevent their extermination plan from being implemented. On Friday, the DEC announced that they will be revising their plans:
“The draft plan for management for mute swans received significant public interest and DEC received many thoughtful and substantive comments. DEC is listening to these comments and concerns and will revise the draft plan and provide an opportunity for the public to comment on the revised plan this spring.”
[RIGHT]DEC Commissioner Joseph Martens[/RIGHT]
The big win here is that state legislators, animal advocacy organizations, and many others came together to intercept this plan at an early stage, forcing the DEC to revisit their plans. This victory could not have been achieved without our collective efforts. However, our work is far from finished - the plan to destroy NY's swans has been set in motion, hundreds have already been killed, and the DEC must be deterred from pursuing all-out extermination. We will strongly oppose any revision that seeks to expand the killing of these innocent animals.

DEC's "swan plan" is part of a much larger war on wildlife, and animals are losing. Since the killing of NYC's Canada geese began we have seen many other species targeted by USDA Wildlife Services, such as turkeys in Staten Island, deer on Long Island and in Westchester, this morning the NY Post reported that the Port Authority has killed more than 20,000 animals at NYC airports in the past two years ... the list is very long. Taxpayers are funding the needless slaughter of millions of animals, we must keep the pressure on to change these policies.
[LEFT]
Event: On Thursday, March 6th, 2014 at 1pm, I will be giving a presentation at Brooklyn Law School about urban wildlife law & policy and the work GooseWatch NYC has done, aviation expert Ken Paskar will be on hand to answer questions relating to air safety. RSVP Required.

[LEFT][/LEFT]
Thanks to everyone who has contacted us asking how to get more involved in our efforts, please join our listserv and help us determine what our next steps will be. For updates, follow us on Facebook or Twitter. You can also support us by purchasing merchandise or making a donation. Stay tuned.

[LEFT]
Thanks,
David Karopkin
GooseWatch NYC
[/LEFT]
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature