Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 03:17 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times

Advertisements

Still looks like a Texas Copperhead to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 03:22 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,514,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post

Still looks like a Texas Copperhead to me.
Trapper, I think that's a hognose...

Old 07-21-2014, 04:02 PM

323 posts, read 499,707 times
You should post the picture. Lots of professional herpetologists here.

Field Herp Forum • View forum - The Forum

Old 07-21-2014, 05:13 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghillbilly View Post
That looks like an

. The alterna phase does not have the rust colored bands in with the grey ones that a standard Grey Band has. Although they live in West Texas. Maybe it escaped from being someone's pet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Yep. Either that or a prairie king snake, King snakes have a wide variety band patterns and are found all over the US.
Two strong possibilities.

I am 99.9% certain it is not a copperhead or water Moccasin. The pattern does not match any rattle snake I know. Coral Snake is instantly ruled out for numerous reasons.

Not any venomous snake that is native to Texas.

A third possibility is a juvenile Black Rat Snake. They come in a wide variety of patterns and do not become black until a year or so old.

The patterns on them can vary considerably

My gut feeling is the same as leftwinghillbilly. The Alternas come is such a wide variations of colors and patterns it is unbelievable. I tried to find a pic that comes close to the OP This Grey Gap alterna is the closest I can find

SOURCE

Old 07-21-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
Trapper, I think that's a hognose...
I agree. When I lived in Texas many folks called Western Hognoses various names like:

Texas Copperhead

Puff Adder

Spreading Adder

Rattle less Rattle snakes

etc

I do not see the labial pits found in copper heads either
in the picture.

I've lived quite often in Texas and every copperhead I seen there looked like this:

SOURCE

Old 07-22-2014, 10:41 AM

323 posts, read 499,707 times
A professor of herpitology said this about it Brown watersnake, Nerodia taxispilota. Harmless

Old 07-22-2014, 03:27 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghillbilly View Post
A professor of herpitology said this about it Brown watersnake, Nerodia taxispilota. Harmless
Do we have a winner? ---> Brown water snake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-23-2014, 02:51 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
I will tell you that it is most certainly not a Brown Water snake.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:13 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
The pic I posted is a copperhead and came right out of a Texas P&W game biologists library. As far as the other pic posted that shows a very brightly colored copperhead, maybe in a zoo where they are nice and clean but in the wild I've never seen a copperhead that color in Texas. They are more grey than a bright color. I've killed hundreds if not thousands over the years.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
The pic I posted is a copperhead and came right out of a Texas P&W game biologists library. As far as the other pic posted that shows a very brightly colored copperhead, maybe in a zoo where they are nice and clean but in the wild I've never seen a copperhead that color in Texas. They are more grey than a bright color. I've killed hundreds if not thousands over the years.
The cooperhead pict I posted was one that recently shed. Yes the colors are much brighter the first week or so after shedding.

The 2 things in your picture that makes me doubt it is a copperhead are the head shape and the pupils are easily seen to be round. Copperheads have vertical slits for pupils.

SOURCE

Your picture enlarged

The head shape on a copperhead

SOURCE

I don't doubt you that the picture was labelled as a copperhead. But, I am still convinced it is a hognose snake.

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 07-23-2014 at 10:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature