Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 06:33 PM

323 posts, read 499,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
You belong to a very elite club. A person who survived an envenomed coral snake bite.

You beat the odds on 2 ends. the first was getting bit. Coral snakes very rarely bite even if handled, then you managed to get envenomed, the few times they do bite nearly half the time it is a dry bite.

May this level of luck be with you when you buy a lottery ticket.
Lucky, yea. Not only that, I am an ICU nurse. I was off for a few days at my place out in the woods. My veterinarian friend was there. I said I've been tagged by a Coral. Do you know CPR? He said Yes, for dogs. I did not go to the ER because I did not want people I worked with to know what an idiot I was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 01:07 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,514,620 times
Quote:
I wont rule out a water-snake.

I am quite certain it is not a Moccasin. The body shape seems to be all wrong. Moccasins are typically quite chubby. If it is a moccasin it is quite young as the markings are normally not apparant in an adult. They are typically dark colored and the markings very hard to see.

Here is a picture of a Juvenile

SOURCE

From the Austin Forum. Notice how distinct the tail is from the body

SOURCE

compared with the OP's Picture.
Note that the adult in the picture from the Austin Forum has all of its ribs splayed in a threat posture. A relaxed cottonmouth doesn't look THAT thick. Also, judging by the apparent size of the blades of St. Augustine relative to the body of the snake, the snake in the OP's picture would be fairly small.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:19 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
Note that the adult in the picture from the Austin Forum has all of its ribs splayed in a threat posture. A relaxed cottonmouth doesn't look THAT thick. Also, judging by the apparent size of the blades of St. Augustine relative to the body of the snake, the snake in the OP's picture would be fairly small.
True, would have to be a very young Moccasin to be that small.

True, and a very young cotton mouth is quite brightly colored especially the tail. IA small, Juvenile Moccasin looks nearly identical to a juvenile copperhead.

Baby Water Moccasin

SOURCE

A newly born Water moccasin is about 10 inches long.

Quote:
When do Cottonmouths give birth? Many people don't know: does the cottonmouth snake lay eggs or give birth to live young? The answer is that they give birth to live young! Usually about ten, but up to twenty, little baby cottonmouth snakes, each about ten inches long. That's how big baby cottonmouth snakes are at birth.

SOURCE

Old 08-02-2014, 03:54 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,626,193 times
Quote:
True, would have to be a very young Moccasin to be that small.

True, and a very young cotton mouth is quite brightly colored especially the tail. IA small, Juvenile Moccasin looks nearly identical to a juvenile copperhead.

Baby Water Moccasin

SOURCE

A newly born Water moccasin is about 10 inches long.

SOURCE

I love the green tails. The copperhead has a green tail as well that it uses as a lure to attract prey as it wiggles it.

You mentioned the tail taper on the cottonmouth in a previous post on this thread. Many female snakes have tails that taper more strongly and are shorter relative to those of males. Male cottonmouths may have tails that look like the one in the OP's pic because they are longer and taper more gradually. That is often a convenient method of determining sex in the field vs. having to probe them.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:39 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
I think its a diamondback, but I'm no expert. That is the type of snake I killed about 4 years ago, when we lived in Austin.

Somehow, such snake got inside our house, I think it slithered through the pet door. My son was about 10 then, I heard him barely able to speak, mommy......I looked and saw that damned thing sidewinding right towards DS. I immediately stomped my feet to distract the snake towards me, told ds to run to the garage and get Daddy's shovel, while the snake and me had a stare down. Usually I am so afraid of snakes I practically have a heart attack if I see one on TV, but I felt no fear, I think I felt what can be best described as a deadly calm.

When DS came back with the shovel, the damned snake was coiling, getting ready to strike. I smashed it with the shovel, turning it into snake jelly. It never rattled, it either didn't have a rattler or was a silent rattler, but I looked into that thing's eyes, it was a triangle shaped head with a pit. It was only after I killed it I began to feel fear. I learned what I was made of then, no snake gets into MY house, threatens MY son, and ME.

Then, I took DS and left the house, and called a snake exterminator to check for any more, none were found, but he said the remains were definitely a diamonback

Old 08-09-2014, 07:22 AM

182 posts, read 702,030 times
Thank you all, for your responses. I forgot about this thread as the last few weeks have been busy selling our home and relocating to the mountains of TN. I expect there are some poisonous snakes up here as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature