Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 11:01 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,221,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Don't think a mountain lion/puma could hold its own?
No chance. A boar grizzly is three or four times the weight of a tom cougar. Even the smaller black bear is usually too tough to take on, although a few scraps have taken place. Cougars do not fare well in confrontations with bears, and usually are smart enough to avoid them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 03:06 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Polar Bear
Orca
Siberian Tiger
If I am not mistaken, polar bears are the largest land carnivores in the world, reaching weights of up to 2000 lbs.

I don't think an orca is going to have much of a chance against a grizzly. It's not like a grizzly is going to find itself in deep enough water where an orca would have any kind of advantage.

If we are going to mention tigers, lions become the other obvious choice as they are the largest cats in the food chain. I also wouldn't be so quick to count out a hippopotamus in a fight with a grizzly either. They kill more humans every year than any other species in Africa, and are largely considered the most dangerous on the continent.

On another note, grizzlies are known to avoid conflict with wolverines, despite their obvious size advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
The real answer is: a human. And you know why.
A human armed with a .44-70 lever action rifle? Perhaps.

A human armed only with kung fu and an attitude? Not so much.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:04 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Don't think a mountain lion/puma could hold its own?
I think a grizzly bear would be too much for a cougar to take on 1-on-1. With that being said, cougars do get into physical conflicts with black bears on occasion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGUmrfNvx9M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhYVWMm4-oM

Old 11-30-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
If I am not mistaken, polar bears are the largest land carnivores in the world, reaching weights of up to 2000 lbs.

I don't think an orca is going to have much of a chance against a grizzly. It's not like a grizzly is going to find itself in deep enough water where an orca would have any kind of advantage.

If we are going to mention tigers, lions become the other obvious choice as they are the largest cats in the food chain. I also wouldn't be so quick to count out a hippopotamus in a fight with a grizzly either. They kill more humans every year than any other species in Africa, and are largely considered the most dangerous on the continent.

On another note, grizzlies are known to avoid conflict with wolverines, despite their obvious size advantage.

A human armed with a .44-70 lever action rifle? Perhaps.

A human armed only with kung fu and an attitude? Not so much.
What about a crocodile?

Old 12-01-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
What about a crocodile?
In deep water, croc. In shallows or on land, bear.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I also wouldn't be so quick to count out a hippopotamus in a fight with a grizzly either. They kill more humans every year than any other species in Africa, and are largely considered the most dangerous on the continent.
Hippos are not predators. If we consider them then we would have to allow elephants, rhinos, and Cape buffalos in, any of whom can kill a single male lion, and therfore would give a grizzly all it wanted. In N/A a mature bull bison can weigh over a ton, and is vitually predator proof, but a bison is not a predator either.

Quote:
Not so, a grizzly can swat a gulo like a fly. Hundred year old trapper's tales about wolverines beating up an entire wolf pack, or taking away a kill from a cougar or a bear, are just that, tall tales. A male wolverine, Gulo Gulo, averages 30-40 pounds. While they are tough, fierce animals, with great endurance, they are not bionic made of steel, and size does count in the animal world. A prime male wolf is triple the size, a cougar quadruple, and a grizzly 15-20 times the weight of that wolverine.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:32 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,944,637 times
Quote:
Just curiosity. I've seen many types of animals fights on the internet but I've never seen any animal fighting a grizzly bear one-on-one. I figured I would ask posters on the nature forum this type of question instead of putting it on the pets forum.

Humans don't count.
Really, the pets forum?

Animals don't fight. They kill to eat, mate, protect territory and things like that but they don't go out looking for fights.

Apex predators usually don't interact with each other because they are rarely locate in close proximity to each other. Orcas don't meet Grizzly bears because Grizzly Bears are ocean or salt water swimmers for the most part.

Maybe some WWMA or whatever that stuff is called?

Old 12-01-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Really, the pets forum?

Animals don't fight. They kill to eat, mate, protect territory and things like that but they don't go out looking for fights.

Apex predators usually don't interact with each other because they are rarely locate in close proximity to each other. Orcas don't meet Grizzly bears because Grizzly Bears are ocean or salt water swimmers for the most part.

Maybe some WWMA or whatever that stuff is called?
That hasn't stop humans from setting up animal fights. Have you ever heard of the Ancient Romans and the coliseum? Whether you like it or not, animal fights do happen. Of course it's usually through human intervention.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:54 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,944,637 times
Quote:
That hasn't stop humans from setting up animal fights. Have you ever heard of the Ancient Romans and the coliseum? Whether you like it or not, animal fights do happen. Of course it's usually through human intervention.
You're missing quite a few points.

Yes, some people arrange animal fights. It is also true that some people belong in prison for doing that and also true that some should be thrown into the pit with the animals.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:37 PM

Even though a liger isn't an apex predator but more of a genetic experiment, I think it a liger could hold it own against a grizzly bear in a fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zOWYj59BXI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature