Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 12:51 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

I don't know why people are so careless around WILD ANIMALS. Do they think the whole world is some Disney movie? I feel bad this young girl is injured and I wish her complete and speedy recovery.

Bison gores teen taking pictures with it at Yellowstone National Park - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 01:00 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I don't know why people are so careless around WILD ANIMALS. Do they think the whole world is some Disney movie? I feel bad this young girl is injured and I wish her complete and speedy recovery.

Bison gores teen taking pictures with it at Yellowstone National Park - CBS News
Your correct, a lot of people don't understand just what "wild animal" means. They think that just because it is in a national parks then it must be tame. Make me wonder just where their head is located.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:53 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
yes, it is indeed a shame that people don't use their heads better....

My uncle trained and showed horses, and the first thing he taught me, was, I is an animal and just when you think you know it all, is when your going to get hurt....that's why they call them animals.

My other uncle was a person who sprayed for bugs...I forget what you call them? Anyway, he said, "I cannot tell you how many times people said, "oh, my dog won't bite", and sure enough, I'd get bit. So, it got so, he would tell the people, you have to put the dog away, or I won't come in....and I don't blame him....

Old 05-21-2015, 08:29 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, it is indeed a shame that people don't use their heads better....

My uncle trained and showed horses, and the first thing he taught me, was, I is an animal and just when you think you know it all, is when your going to get hurt....that's why they call them animals.

My other uncle was a person who sprayed for bugs...I forget what you call them? Anyway, he said, "I cannot tell you how many times people said, "oh, my dog won't bite", and sure enough, I'd get bit. So, it got so, he would tell the people, you have to put the dog away, or I won't come in....and I don't blame him....
There was one man gored about one week after I toke this picture in 2002:

Old 05-21-2015, 08:31 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
There was one man gored about one week after I toke this picture in 2002:

beautiful

Old 05-21-2015, 08:50 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
I am sorry for the teen and not too happy with the host family. Sadly, it is people like this that get our ability to enjoy nature because restrictions get put in place to protect the careless and ignorant. I remember going to the zoo and seeing buffalo when I was a child. They also have 3 here in our present town. Never ever would I get that close to one. The baby did some close up between us and fence though and it was so adorable but mama, not so much. Whatever happened to commonsense?

Old 05-22-2015, 03:12 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I am sorry for the teen and not too happy with the host family. Sadly, it is people like this that get our ability to enjoy nature because restrictions get put in place to protect the careless and ignorant. I remember going to the zoo and seeing buffalo when I was a child. They also have 3 here in our present town. Never ever would I get that close to one. The baby did some close up between us and fence though and it was so adorable but mama, not so much. Whatever happened to commonsense?
Actually, if you have been to Yellowstone, you can see the problem. I should say: that you can see the problem if you come from the Eastern half of our Nation. On the East Coast we are used to government protecting us. We have guardrails, railings, rock retaining wires and even sound barriers. Out West it is a different story: you can travel on roads with nothing separating you from the precipice or from the rocks over your head.

If you went to the OP's link you can see the family standing on the boardwalk. The East Coast mentality is that government put the walk there to protect us. Of course, thinking it over - after it is too late, we would all say that safety is up to the individual and not government. Actually, I believe, that the boardwalks are only there to keep tourist from damaging the environment - they have nothing to do with "protecting' the tourist from the animals. My feeling is that the boardwalks lull people into a false sense of security.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:48 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times
......Best summation of this situation:....."YOU CAN"T FIX STUPID"..(applies to the host family and the girl).
There are "warning signs" all over the park regarding the Bison and other wild animals.......I think the signs should be amended to state: "Anyone injured by a 'wild animal' will be fined $100 and banned from the Park!!"

Old 05-22-2015, 08:37 PM

190 posts, read 286,180 times
DARWIN AWARD WINNER..

second place went to the Japanese tourist who got pummeled while photographing a Bull Elk during the rut.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:04 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,292,680 times
Yellowstone is a great place for watching stupid people. There are plenty of warnings. You still see idiots walking right up to the bison and bears. The geological features are another way to get hurt. People seemed to have a better respect for them. There is a book about some of the deaths that have happened there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature