Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 04:23 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
A couple of folks here seem to think that they will be "safe" if Yellowstone blows. . . interesting. Do you have facilites to survive not only the physical damage that the volcanic ash will do, as well as at least one year, possibly many more, of no crop production, which means NO FOOD, etc. etc. The entire planet will (or would) be affected, in the event, and no one will survive unscathed, but then again, the financial crisis will be last thing on the survivors minds. . . a very good thing!
Google Krakatoa. Google the "year without a summer". Google "Pacific ring of fire" Yellowstone doesn't have that active a magma pocket. It did at one point, but not now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 06:03 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
Or how about the Toba catastrophe.

"Genetic evidence suggests that all humans alive today, despite their apparent variety, are (according to a Television broadcast) descended from a very small population, perhaps between 1,000 to 10,000 breeding pairs about 70,000 years ago."

Old 12-30-2008, 08:40 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,898 times
Yea baby! If that caldera goes up again.....watch the f.... out.... The last one sent huge blast waves hundreds of miles....lava flows way into Idaho and Eastern Washington....ash... miles high and boulders blown out of sight....

Old 12-30-2008, 10:02 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,327,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
If Yellowstone blows it will mean a major problem for the world.

Tremors baffle scientists
Yellowstone is jostled by 250 small earthquakes in three days, and no one knows why.
Scientists eye unusual swarm of Yellowstone quakes - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081230/ap_on_sc/yellowstone_quakes - broken link)
Here's a good link: Discovery Channel :: Supervolcano

Old 12-31-2008, 11:39 AM

5 posts, read 11,181 times
Default Yikes

Scary stuff. There was a 6.1 earthquake off of the Philippines on December 25 (a day before the flurry in Yellowstone.) The system is connected. The Ring of Fire runs under the Pacific, right into Wyoming, where it feeds the geysers. So maybe we're seeing a belching from that quake? Any way you cut it, if this doesn't fizzle and die down, the alternatives are not good.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:56 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
I was just wondering something when you said, "The system is connected."

The question that popped into my mind probably has nothing at all to do with what you said, though I am curious. We know that the core rotates faster than the crust. I was wondering if that is one thing that helps to keep the magma warm, aside from the obvious blanket or insulating effect by the crust.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:27 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Why are people in a tizzy about this? There was basically one Discovery channel show that talked about the possibility of Yellowstone going up and now everyone is deathly afraid of it. Had people never seen that show there would have been no worry about it whatsoever. Just don't watch a show about how many uncounted large asteroids there are possibly headed on a collision course for the Earth. The fact of the matter is this:

Should Yellowstone go up, most of the people on the Western half of the U.S. wouldn't know it anyway. You'd all be dead. Those of us East of the Mississippi would feel the effects before too long and we'd be goners too.

Of course, you could get hit by a bus tomorrow, a plane could crash into your house, lightning could strike you or you might get a fishhook stuck in your cerebral cortex. Why do people worry about Yellowstone any more than these things?

Old 12-31-2008, 09:58 PM

5 posts, read 11,181 times
I wish I could be as Cavalier. The fact is that there are harmonic tremors going on and the best course of action at this point is to assume an eruption is coming and let data back us off. Here is a link to the Seismic activity for the past few days. Take your time and click on the Lake data. It's alarming.

UUSS Webicorder (Seismogram) Displays, Yellowstone Region

A "new fault" does not explain this. This is magma, pure and simple. There are now several earthquakes per hour. The only escape from eruption here is if there were a regurgitation from the Philippine earthquake that is bottle-necked and is trying to vent through existing tunnels that flow from Yellowstone towards the Dakotas. I guess there's a chance that the magma will disperse and the earthquakes will subside. But for me there is growing concern that this is the earth's mantle expanding towards an eruption. There is possibility of a less severe eruption than the civilization killer predicted. But even 10% of the potential changes the world for the foreseeable future.

Honestly, the above post that shrugs this off is purely ignorant of the concerning data. Hope I'm wrong, honestly! But we need an explanation for what is happening before we assume it's all okay. This does not look okay! Look at the above link. Rumbling. That pressure has to subside one way or another. Eruption is not good! Just realize that.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:14 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
I watch an earthquake website and have noticed a lot of quakes recently. Southern California, Utah, and may places in the West have earthquakes on a regular basis, but I am seeing more quakes in the Eastern United States recently. I sometimes think weather patterns affect the quake activity. Maybe all the snow and the freezing of the ground cause things to move a little. What do you think?

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/index.php

Old 12-31-2008, 11:30 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austonian View Post
I wish I could be as Cavalier. The fact is that there are harmonic tremors going on and the best course of action at this point is to assume an eruption is coming and let data back us off. Here is a link to the Seismic activity for the past few days. Take your time and click on the Lake data. It's alarming.

UUSS Webicorder (Seismogram) Displays, Yellowstone Region

A "new fault" does not explain this. This is magma, pure and simple. There are now several earthquakes per hour. The only escape from eruption here is if there were a regurgitation from the Philippine earthquake that is bottle-necked and is trying to vent through existing tunnels that flow from Yellowstone towards the Dakotas. I guess there's a chance that the magma will disperse and the earthquakes will subside. But for me there is growing concern that this is the earth's mantle expanding towards an eruption. There is possibility of a less severe eruption than the civilization killer predicted. But even 10% of the potential changes the world for the foreseeable future.

Honestly, the above post that shrugs this off is purely ignorant of the concerning data. Hope I'm wrong, honestly! But we need an explanation for what is happening before we assume it's all okay. This does not look okay! Look at the above link. Rumbling. That pressure has to subside one way or another. Eruption is not good! Just realize that.
All I'm saying is that people are going crazy over it but it's nothing we can control. Sure, we should learn about it, perhaps we may be able to predict when it will blow its top in doing so. I don't have a problem with that - especially if it may be able to save lives. But, let's face it, it's one of those things that is either going to happen or not - regardless of what we do about it. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. If it blows up, don't get me wrong, that sucks - BADLY. But, let's face it, why am I going to stay up at night wondering if it's going to blow up in my backyard? Fear sells and there's a reason for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature