Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 10:54 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,631,075 times

Advertisements

I was just reading about the 10 deadliest animals on Live Science.com so if interested check out the slide show on them. Yes there are some animals not on the list that should be but it's a really cool web site i just reciently discovered for all the sciences.

Top 10 Deadliest Animals | LiveScience (http://www.livescience.com/animals/top10_deadliestanimals-1.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 07:08 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
The deadliest didn't even make the list, homo sapiens

Old 02-15-2009, 09:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I use to read alot of older books written by hunters. The description of the black mamba snake in africa and the killer tigers of india were chilling. Jim Corbit ;a hunter hired to kill many of the killer tigers wrote a book that was truely chilling.Mass murders are not near as chilling as his accopunts of those tigers.Basically he examined each one and they had physical reasons that they could not hunt other game anymore ;so they truned to easy pray;humans.They would come into towns of thousnads and take peole out of their bed without others hearing a thing.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:04 PM

140 posts, read 471,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
you're probably trying to say homo sapien sapiens

Old 02-17-2009, 07:43 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,720,443 times
Quote:
Very proud of it too!

Old 06-17-2012, 09:31 PM

7 posts, read 36,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I use to read alot of older books written by hunters. The description of the black mamba snake in africa and the killer tigers of india were chilling. Jim Corbit ;a hunter hired to kill many of the killer tigers wrote a book that was truely chilling.Mass murders are not near as chilling as his accopunts of those tigers.Basically he examined each one and they had physical reasons that they could not hunt other game anymore ;so they truned to easy pray;humans.They would come into towns of thousnads and take peole out of their bed without others hearing a thing.
Tigers and polar bears are the only two animals that prey on humans partially because humans do not really fight back very well when attacked. I bet if humans would every once in a while go out to hunt and not kill, but injure, the tigers they would stop hunting us because the preditor and prey catagories would swap and they would become the hunted.
I also heard an interesting fact that, when traveling in the thick brush, villigars would wear a mask on the back of their head to create the illusion that they had two faces. The villigars had figured out that tigers only attacked from behind rather than head on so instead of carrying heavy weapons to fend them off, they avoided being attacked in the first place. I thought that was a cool fact :3

Old 06-17-2012, 11:50 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
The link appears to be broken, but any respectable list would list rats, mosquitos, and hippos.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:00 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,226,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The link appears to be broken, but any respectable list would list rats, mosquitos, and hippos.
www.livescience.com/11325-top-10-deadliest-animals.html
The list is mixed, and includes insects, mammals, reptiles, fish, and amphibians, which tends to cloud the issue a bit. Most of us would perhaps be more familiar with mammals. In this case, while polar bears, lions, elephants, and Cape buffalo certainly belong, most surely so do hippos, tigers, leopards, and grizzly bears.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:12 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times
Quote:
If the human being is not number one, the list is BS.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:54 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,381,834 times
Anything that Steve Irwin (RIP) dealt with:
salt water crocs, komodo dragons, black mambas, great white sharks.

From watching other documentaries, I would put hippos toward the top of the list. The boat that was filming had to speed off and was being chased by one.

Elephants are odd. While I've heard they might interact well with man and be used to do work, I've also heard they go bonkers and go on stampedes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature