Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 08:15 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
All the pompous a$$es who think GI is incapable of putting the fair on need to first take a trip to GI, second realize nearly all states in the midwest have a state fair in a smaller city, .
You mean other than:

Ohio - Columbus (largest city)
Michigan - Detroit (largest city)
Wisconsin - Milwaukee (largest city)
Indiana - Indianapolis (largest city)
Iowa - Des Moines (largest city)
Minnesota - Minneapolis (largest city)

And those state fair (except Michigan) draw significantly more people than the Nebraska State Fair ever will in its new location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 06:17 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,548,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
The State Fair was an after thought to most on game days. And for the most part the State Fair is an after thought to most of those in Lincoln and Omaha.

Why do people assume the SF will "wither" in GI?? Check your facts. Apart from the Iowa State Fair, ALL state fairs in adjacent states are in towns that are much much smaller than their biggest cities.

The State Fair is going to a place where people actually care about it. Moreover, its going to a place where quite frankly they don't have a lot of other entertainment options. As a result, the will very much embrace the State Fair and make it a first class operation.

All the pompous a$$es who think GI is incapable of putting the fair on need to first take a trip to GI, second realize nearly all states in the midwest have a state fair in a smaller city, and third GI has done quite well with things such as Fonner Park horse racing, Husker Harvest days, and Stuhr Museum. As you see these elements merge into the state fair along with the local support you'll see a first class event.
You hit it on the head.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:15 AM

482 posts, read 1,331,720 times
On omaha.com they had a poll asking if people were going to head over to the fair this year. When I voted the "yes" vote was at 9%. Take it for what it's worth, a silly online poll.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:11 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
The better question is how many people would have gone if it were still in Lincoln...

Old 08-29-2010, 07:56 PM

737 posts, read 1,916,851 times
Any word on attendance this weekend? Just wondering?

Old 09-01-2010, 08:31 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,856 times
I would make it down every so often in Lincoln if they had a band I liked. I probably won't ever go again now that it's in Grand Island. There's nothing to gain from that drive that can't be found closer.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:45 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
If any of you like to fish or hunt a trip to Grand Island will put you a lot closer to some great hunting & fishing. Squirrel season and Dove season will both be open during the fair and of course fishing year around. Stop off and spend some time at the Fair on your way to and from some of the best hunting and fishing areas on the planet.

GL2

Old 09-01-2010, 11:25 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,095 times
Jlawrence,

Those are fair examples. I was really referencing the great plains states (thus my initial "adjacent" reference) but my all encompassing midwest description obviously didn't get that across. All the states surrounding Nebraska, except Iowa, have their fairs in smaller cities.

Dsrich,

It takes time to build something like this. I'll compare numbers after about 10 years. Clearly numbers in the first couple years will be down. That's to be expected. Its a fair, not a rock concert. It'll take a number of years to incorporate new venues, traditions, and activities. And it will take some time for the rest of the state to get used to it there too.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:15 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,470,609 times
I've heard some reports that attendance is great in Grand Island. Anyone else heard that?

Old 09-02-2010, 08:34 PM

2,177 posts, read 3,548,312 times
Fair officials said attendance through Tuesday was more than 120,000 people, shy of last year's abnormally high attendance _ when the fair had its last hurrah in Lincoln and spent more money brining in entertainment _ but above 2008's numbers and roughly on par with attendance the previous few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska