Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2009, 10:51 PM

180 posts, read 527,586 times

Advertisements

My company has asked me if I would be interested in transferring to Kearney. Kearney looks really great. An eye condition prevents me from driving though, so I do have some concerns.

I know Kearney does not have a fixed bus route system, and relies on a demand response system that you reserve a day in advance. I could see this having advantages and disadvantages. Private and direct door to door service would be nice. Obviously, you have to be organized.

But I am more interested in knowing how walkable Kearney is. I would be working on the north end of town near the Hilltop Mall. Are there apartments within 1.5 miles of the area? I walk 2 miles now. Are most of the things one might need on a day to day basis also in that area? Does Kearney have sidewalks along most of the main streets? That is a big problem where I live now. I have lived in all kinds of weather from Minnesota snow and cold to Georgia heat and humidity, so I am not too worried about that. But does Kearney do a good job about clearing snow off the sidewalks in the winter?

Finally, is $400 to $550 a god estimate for a one bedrrom apartment? Are there any complexes you would avoid or recommend?

I have read one other thread that touched on this subject, but I wanted some additional information.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 05:15 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,154,315 times
There is one big complex that I can think of, that is only 1/2 mile from the mall area. It is called Stone Ridge Apartments, located along 56th street. There is some rentals I believe right behind the mall, but they are more townhouse types. Alot of apartment complexes are along west 39th street which is probably a little more than a mile and a half away. I would say your range for an apartment is pretty close, maybe a tad more.
Obviously you know about the RYDE system which is great! As far as sidewalks, I believe it is up to the owner of property, whether its a business or residential, to clear the sidewalk after a snowstorm and they have so many hours to do it before they get fined (not strictly enforced though). So it probably can be hit or miss. The trail system does get cleared, but isn't as much a priority as roads.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:15 AM

180 posts, read 527,586 times
Thank you for the helpful reply.

Those apartments on 56th St would be nice, and I think I could probably even handle the walk from the ones on W 39th St. Someone also told me about some around the 1300 block of 45th St that might work too.

So do major streets like 56th, 39th, and 2nd Ave have sidewalks along them?

Old 08-31-2009, 02:41 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,154,315 times
Most of the roads do have sidewalks along them, I believe. I guess its not something I have paid much attention too. I do know for a fact, there is a trail along 56th street along the south side of the road. Which reminds me, there is also many apartments on east 39th by Sunrise Middle School and the fairgrounds. I believe one complex is called Grandview. The trail along 56th turns south along Avenue N and goes to 39th street.

If you do end up transfering here, and get familar, post here again and I can tell you some side streets to take that will give you a more direct and perhaps quieter walk to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska