Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 10:04 PM

252 posts, read 732,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
*Cough!!!*

And who in the world keeps track of where people go to College?

OK OK. You're choking because I neglected to say that these graduates of my local high school are emotionally stable and personable.

As their parent and as a teacher, I just get defensive when somebody gets hotsy totsy about a bloated population being necessary to support an outstanding education.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:06 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,303,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I know a fellow in Omaha that is a graduate of the University of Nebraska. I haven't had the chance to ask him if he ever regretted going to UNL instead of attending some prestigious school like Yale or Harvard. In a recent report to stockholders of his company I believe he had a handful of Harvard and Yale graduates working for him but they were working for a graduate of UNL. To get exact numbers on that I suppose EDGAR has the latest reports on Berkshire/Hathaway.

GL2
I can assure you if a student was accepted at Harvard or Yale they would NOT choose to attend UNL!

Old 08-30-2009, 10:07 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
Employers when they are looking for the best of the best employees!
I'm aware of that but what kind of average person keeps track of where people go to college if they are not employing them or even know them?

Old 08-30-2009, 10:09 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
[quote=Kootr;10534075]I can assure you if a student was accepted at Harvard or Yale they would NOT choose to attend UNL![/quote
Read the post again Kootr.
Does Berkshire/Hathaway ring any bells?
GL2

Old 08-30-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roots'nbulbs View Post
OK OK. You're choking because I neglected to say that these graduates of my local high school are emotionally stable and personable.

As their parent and as a teacher, I just get defensive when somebody gets hotsy totsy about a bloated population being necessary to support an outstanding education.
Oh no I wasn't referring to you I was referring to him when he said "When have you ever heard of someone from a small town going to an Ivy league or tier 1 school" Its no big deal you know where your own students are going to college. It seems like he expects us to know where everyone in our state goes to college, and you have every right to be defensive, I'm feeling defensive too!!

Old 08-30-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
I'm aware of that but what kind of average person keeps track of where people go to college if they are not employing them or even know them?
We're talking about a young man or woman getting starting their career. Top employers want the best of the best! It could be in law, medicine...whatever. Elite students get the very best education they can get. They go to the highest ranked college possible. Anything outside tier 1 for undergrad school is a strikeout for most... And anything below midway in tier 1 for graduate school is a strikeout for most...

Old 08-30-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Good for you and your mother! But I thought we were talking about teachers teaching students in classrooms...
Did I mention that Small Town education helped her to become an Oncology Doctor?

Old 08-30-2009, 10:18 PM

[quote=Gunluvver2;10534123]
Quote:
I can assure you if a student was accepted at Harvard or Yale they would NOT choose to attend UNL![/quote
Read the post again Kootr.
Does Berkshire/Hathaway ring any bells?
GL2
Yes, Warren... What about him? I would say Warren was looking for the best of the best...so he hired Harvard and Yale graduates!

Old 08-30-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
We're talking about a young man or woman getting starting their career. Top employers want the best of the best! It could be in law, medicine...whatever. Elite students get the very best education they can get. They go to the highest ranked college possible. Anything outside tier 1 for undergrad school is a strikeout for most... And anything below midway in tier 1 for graduate school is a strikeout for most...
Well, that's rather elitist of you.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Yes, Warren... What about him?
Does the term second richest man (last year richest) in the world apply?

And 2+2=............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska