Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 06:27 AM

947 posts, read 3,574,375 times

Advertisements

Very very well said and right on target

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Loving this! And so true; especially about our area (N-Central NE) too.

The area would be prime for innovative and locally applicable investment and development - not necessarily the housing industry, but job development as well. "Bringing money" to put into the local economy that is minimal but stable would help keep the local businesses alive, even expand, and provide more jobs and more opportunities. Folks who come here looking for a job to support them soon find that the opportunities are minimal - everyone who is here already works what jobs are needed. Unless you can fill a niche, or CREATE one, coming here looking for a job is sketchy at best. I got lucky; when I looked for a job, one came open because the current person didn't want to drive 20 miles one way every day any more, over frequently icy and dangerous roads. But we already had purchased our house and property and had everything lined up for self-support prior to my applying for that job.

So many folks don't understand how a basic economy and infrastructure development works, and expect to be able to simply pack up and move and then find a job, housing, etc. Moving to a rural area is not like moving to a city where all of the amenities have already been built and maintained, and are expanding regularly, for years. A primarily agricultural economy has low employment requirements, usually relatives or well-known locals, and fluctuations that are not dependable for a steady employment. However, if you want to "build in" another part of an already-established economy, like construction or small-engine maintenance, you have to bring your own money, tools, and knowledge to start it, and be prepared to work your way up from the bottom, with fluctuations in income based on how many people need - or can afford - to have the work done in which you specialize. And - you have to be absolutely trustworthy and dependable, because if you are not, very soon everyone knows it and won't call you. There are very few "safety nets" in small communities, other than for families. They simply can't afford to support every transient who comes in. (None of this is directed at the OP; just observances on the differences of rural employment vs city employment.) If you move to a rural area, you have to be prepared immediately once you get there to support the local economy and enhance it, not just to be a 'cog in the wheel'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 09:59 AM

4 posts, read 6,934 times
I totally understand this as I live in a rural area now. I am just shocked that there wasn't even one opportunity for me as far as job openings went. I looked everywhere. The newpapers, Internet and came up with nothing. I guess surviving on $12.00 an hour would be ok if you had a spouse doing the same thing. But I need to support myself and my son on that and I just can't see that working. I am not giving up though. I feel that if I am diligent, something will come up. And NO WAY would I move myself before I had a job. To me that's crazy! I look forward to the day when I can call Nebraska my home, but for now I will have to keep working on it. As I look out at the snow falling right now, can anyone tell me about what the average amount of snowfall is a year in western Nebraska? Just curious.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:53 PM

696 posts, read 1,728,068 times
Single dad here with a 13 year old son.
Living on $12/hr is easy if you don't have a new
House
Car(s)

or tons of debt.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:38 PM

370 posts, read 1,358,619 times
I don't know what the average is, but winters are a little rougher in the panhandle than other parts of the state. Lots of cold and wind. Sometimes moisture, sometimes not. Higher elevation, closer to the Rockies, etc...

You can live on $12/hour, but as mentioned before, it all depends on your debt. I make $22, my wife makes $20, but we have nearly $200K in home, car and student loan debt.

If we didn't have that all, we could survive on $12/hour.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:54 AM

947 posts, read 3,574,375 times
I WISH I made $12 an hour or anywhere close to it..... but without a car, insurance or gas.. and my monthly expenses only being rent, utilities, groceries and dog food.. i made it in a small-ish central nebraska town just fine with plenty to spare.

I made about $9 an hour

Old 10-22-2009, 09:40 AM

4 posts, read 6,934 times
I have a degree in Accounting. But it seems like accounting jobs are pretty sparse. But like I said the search continues. Is there anything that you DON'T like about Scottsbluff? I love the fact that I would be close to Cheyenne and Rapid City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska