Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 12:12 PM

243 posts, read 629,087 times

Advertisements

Just find a decent pest control company and the bugs wont be a problem. We used Bug Bully when we lived in Vegas and he did an awesome job. Carson and Reno are to Vegas what San Francisco is to LA - completely different areas separated by hundreds of miles. There are some similarities, but there are more differences between the two cities. As for crime, just do some research before you pick a place to live and you'll be fine. The Vegas forum is full of posts asking which areas in Vegas are the safest to live, just so a quick search and you will start to figure out the best areas (Summerlin, Green Valley, NW Vegas, Henderson, etc.). Good luck and enjoy the desert!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 01:54 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
I lived in Reno for 14 years and never saw a cockroach- or a flea or tick for that matter =)

Old 04-04-2015, 02:40 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mward View Post
I am thinking of moving to the Nevada area and have been looking in Las Vegas. But through this forum I have learned some disturbing facts about this area, for example the many cockroaches in the area and the burglary problem. I have also been looking at Boulder City, Reno, and Carson City. How far are these cities from Las Vegas? How different are they concerning crime and the bug problem? Any information would be helpful so that I can make a thorough decision.
You've been reading exaggerated posts by people who like to stir things up. There are more roaches in almost any other city in the country than in Las Vegas. Yes, we have the big brown ones that come out and scurry around the sidewalks at night, but it's not terribly bad. Most home owners and apartment complexes have exterminator services, and the smart ones don't allow that poison inside the house - it is plenty good enough to have the outside perimeter sprayed, and then only every two months. WE seldom get a bug in the house. But Las Vegas hardly has any bugs in the first place. And, if you're a dog owner, there are no fleas here as they don't live in the desert.

As for burglary - no worse per capita than any other city, and for sure, better than many. Crime here is average for a city of 2 million, and when you consider we get another 41 million visitors per year, it's low.

Boulder City is 20 miles; property, if you can find it, is expensive. But a nice little town. However, for shopping, you'd drive into Las Vegas.

Reno is 440 miles from Las Vegas, and Carson City is about 30 minutes from there.

In reality, Las Vegas and Reno are the only two population centers in Nevada. Anything else you see on a Nevada map is either a very, very small town, or in most cases, just the site of a now non existent mine, or maybe only a road junction.

Nevada is a huge open space of 110,000 sq. miles, with less than one person per sq. mile in most of it.

You might just want to make your decision on, first, the work you do, and then on whether you are young and in good health and not likely to need full medical services nearby, and then whether you are an avid skier, or you prefer indoor entertainment. Both cities have some of each, (actually a lot) but Reno is more for outdoorsy types, and Las Vegas is more for city lovers.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:22 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
You've been reading exaggerated posts by people who like to stir things up. There are more roaches in almost any other city in the country than in Las Vegas. Yes, we have the big brown ones that come out and scurry around the sidewalks at night, but it's not terribly bad. Most home owners and apartment complexes have exterminator services, and the smart ones don't allow that poison inside the house - it is plenty good enough to have the outside perimeter sprayed, and then only every two months. WE seldom get a bug in the house. But Las Vegas hardly has any bugs in the first place. And, if you're a dog owner, there are no fleas here as they don't live in the desert.

As for burglary - no worse per capita than any other city, and for sure, better than many. Crime here is average for a city of 2 million, and when you consider we get another 41 million visitors per year, it's low.

Boulder City is 20 miles; property, if you can find it, is expensive. But a nice little town. However, for shopping, you'd drive into Las Vegas.

Reno is 440 miles from Las Vegas, and Carson City is about 30 minutes from there.

In reality, Las Vegas and Reno are the only two population centers in Nevada. Anything else you see on a Nevada map is either a very, very small town, or in most cases, just the site of a now non existent mine, or maybe only a road junction.

Nevada is a huge open space of 110,000 sq. miles, with less than one person per sq. mile in most of it.

You might just want to make your decision on, first, the work you do, and then on whether you are young and in good health and not likely to need full medical services nearby, and then whether you are an avid skier, or you prefer indoor entertainment. Both cities have some of each, (actually a lot) but Reno is more for outdoorsy types, and Las Vegas is more for city lovers.
Buzz, my friend, the OP you are responding to is from 2007. The info will help someone else, though.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:24 PM

4 posts, read 6,344 times
Default Moving to Las Vegas 2015

Yes, This post has helped me. I too read about the cockroaches in the apartment reviews. I would like to know of specific apartment to look into. A friend said the zip codes 89120 and 89119 are good but If anyone knows of specific apartments. I would really apprecaite the names. I am looking for big windows, would love and type of floors but carpet and would like to stay at 1000 for 2 bd 2 bath.

Old 05-10-2015, 03:58 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Buzz, my friend, the OP you are responding to is from 2007. The info will help someone else, though.
Well, excuuuuuse me. I think I was only paying attention to the dates from March this year right before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lju2015 View Post
Yes, This post has helped me. I too read about the cockroaches in the apartment reviews. I would like to know of specific apartment to look into. A friend said the zip codes 89120 and 89119 are good but If anyone knows of specific apartments. I would really apprecaite the names. I am looking for big windows, would love and type of floors but carpet and would like to stay at 1000 for 2 bd 2 bath.
Tell your friend he can live in an old part of town if he wants, but you'd prefer to live in the newer parts. Take a look here, and go to areas called Summerlin/Lakes, Summerlin, and Centennial. Or maybe a little south of there, but not too far. City, Zip Code & Highway Maps | Las Vegas Real Estate and Homes for Sale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada