Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 6,667 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to Minden or Gardnerville, or around there, later this year. I have a job in which I can work remotely. However, I need good, dependable, internet access.

Doing some research, I found that Charter Communications is the main player in this area. However, I have also read some really bad reviews of them. The problem is, the reviews had no dates so I do not know if they where from last month or 10 years ago.

Could anyone give me advice on what internet service providers are good in this area? Is there a different area I should be looking into? I didn't really want to go into Carson City or Reno, but if those are the only places I could get fast internet access, then I might need to consider them.

If anyone is willing to do a speed test for me, that would be much appreciated!

1. Go to http://www.speedtest.net/. This might take a few seconds to load.
2. When the [Begin Test] button appears, click it.
3. Some speed tests will be performed
4. When done, click the [Share This Result] button
5. A URL/form dialog will appear, click the [COPY] button
6. Reply to this forum and paste in the URL that was copied in step 5 or send to my email address.

Thanks so much for your local insight and help.

David Genrich

Last edited by david.genrich; 02-11-2013 at 09:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 07:35 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
I'm in Reno and have Charter, I had them years ago and absolutely hated them. I went with AT&T AT&T DSL which was dreadfully slow and ran about $43 a month and there seemed to be perpetual DNS problems so I decided to give Charter another chance & I'm glad I did. It's $29.95 a month for 12 month, it goes up by $20 after that but I will just call back and threaten to cancel when the year is up.

I really don't think you need me to copy speedtest results, but I just checked and got 42.86 down and 4.18 up. I also have VOIP and last time I ran a test for that I had zero jitter. My guess is that your speed with Charter anywhere in Northern Nevada would be close to what I get

Old 03-03-2013, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 6,667 times
Thanks 2sleepy for your reply. The 42 down/4 Up are really good speeds. I am currently in the SF Bay area and I do not get those speeds with AT&T Uverse. I am getting 12.23 MBps down and 1.47 MBps up.

I have done more research and seems that if you just get Charter Communication Internet, then people where generally happy with that. With getting a bundle, they were unhappy. And, if you need to deal with customer service, people are unhappy.

Right now, I am leaning towards Charter Communication for Internet, Dish Network for TV, and AT&T for a land line.

If anyone else has any data or comments, please reply!

David Genrich

Old 04-03-2013, 06:17 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,987,382 times
Wink Internet off the main line

I've no idea how good the service of Charter Communications is. Or, for that matter, what available internet speeds are in Gardnerville. But, from experience in living in the boondocks elsewhere in the West, can suggest one's experience in Gardnerville may be rather different than in Reno.

Apple has located one of their data centers just outside of Reno. My understanding this in part due fiber optic in the area (and accessible). It is also possible to live virtually on top of a fiber optic line and still have no access to it. Internet service in Reno may be great, and seemingly is if one could receive download speeds anywhere near 40 Mbps.

Perhaps the same is true in Gardnerville. No idea. But with the exact same company it could as well be only DSL on offer, and at much diminished speeds. Or somewhere in the middle, and one satisfied with available speed in town, but for one reason or another finding oneself living somewhere outside of town—and then the rules and speeds somewhat different (to put it mildly).

In this, exact location is key. If it matters, best check in advance with the carrier—with one's proposed address. Then double check what they said, again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada