Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2008, 12:19 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,660 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are heading to vegas on April the 10th for the annual Viva las Vegas Rockabilly Weekender. The last time we went, we enjoyed the weather so much that we actually are considering a move to the area. I don't actually want to live IN Las Vegas, but the surrounding areas might work for us.

We are planning to drive to Boulder City and check it out on the 10th and 11th. Any suggestions on things to see or drives to take? Touring recommendations?

Also, we originally wanted to check out the ST. George area but have heard that the job market is dodgy. We thought that a move to Boulder City (renting for six months to a year) would allow my husband the job prospects of the Henderson/Las Vegas area but also put us in a prime location to look around the Utah, Arizona, Nevada areas to pick our favorite spot...or move back to Tennessee if it proves to be not for us.

Any input about these ideas would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 12:37 AM

11 posts, read 62,973 times
My husband and I live in Boulder City and we love it here. It is ideally located close to Henderson and not far from Vegas and the job market. People here are very friendly and the town is quiet, which we like.

If you are thinking of living in Henderson, there is basically the new areas and the old town. Depending on what you are looking for, Henderson could be the ticket you are looking for. But personally, I prefer the laid back quite life of Boulder City.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:47 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
My husband and I are heading to vegas on April the 10th for the annual Viva las Vegas Rockabilly Weekender. The last time we went, we enjoyed the weather so much that we actually are considering a move to the area. I don't actually want to live IN Las Vegas, but the surrounding areas might work for us.

We are planning to drive to Boulder City and check it out on the 10th and 11th. Any suggestions on things to see or drives to take? Touring recommendations?

Also, we originally wanted to check out the ST. George area but have heard that the job market is dodgy. We thought that a move to Boulder City (renting for six months to a year) would allow my husband the job prospects of the Henderson/Las Vegas area but also put us in a prime location to look around the Utah, Arizona, Nevada areas to pick our favorite spot...or move back to Tennessee if it proves to be not for us.

Any input about these ideas would be appreciated.
Not to be unkind but those concerned with employment should not consider BC or Mesquite or St. George.

If you are not concerned with employment and have sufficinet income to maintain an upper middle class life style...BC is ideal.

Boulder City is reasonably close to the most expensive area of Las Vegas. Don't let the down home environment fool you. It is all true but to participate you need to be well off. The poor in BC qualify as middle class in Las Vegas. Upper class in Pahrump.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:28 PM

11 posts, read 62,973 times
Olecapt, to be sure there are more expensive areas of Boulder City just like there are in Vegas (i.e., Summerlin), but I don't think it is fair to say that housing is out of reach. Although my husband is disabled and on disability, I continue to work in Henderson and Vegas. Henderson is about 9 miles while Vegas is about 22 miles. Believe, the commute is well worth the relative peace and quite we enjoy here.

Before we moved here, we lived in Summerlin. Believe me, we experienced more crime there (i.e., neighbors cars vandalized and home invasions, etc.).

I highly recommend Boulder City to anyone looking for a nice change.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:57 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyladylv View Post
Olecapt, to be sure there are more expensive areas of Boulder City just like there are in Vegas (i.e., Summerlin), but I don't think it is fair to say that housing is out of reach. Although my husband is disabled and on disability, I continue to work in Henderson and Vegas. Henderson is about 9 miles while Vegas is about 22 miles. Believe, the commute is well worth the relative peace and quite we enjoy here.

Before we moved here, we lived in Summerlin. Believe me, we experienced more crime there (i.e., neighbors cars vandalized and home invasions, etc.).

I highly recommend Boulder City to anyone looking for a nice change.
BC for virtually all specs is more expensive than Summerlin or GV. Summerlin and GV are more expensive than most of the rest of the valley for most specs. If you downgrade your need a level or two you will do find in BC.

I think I have been clear that BC is a great place. Just expensive.

And one can live in BC and commute to the strip. Kind of like living in the Inland Empire and commutting to Los Angeles. Well...not that bad...but getting there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada