Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 03:20 PM

564 posts, read 448,420 times

Advertisements

We are, again, considering purchasing a home in Pahrump. Things here in California are just too insane for my taste, not to mention pocketbook. But I have a few concerns, and water is a primary one. I've done what research I can on the subject but haven't run across an answer to whether residential wells are drying up in numbers that would raise concern. It seems there are not a lot of in-ground swimming pools as one would expect in your climate. Is there a connection there?

Comments would also be welcome on in-town general health care availability, including where does one go with a broken arm that happens to occur on a Saturday or Sunday?

Important to my DW are quality hair dressers. Got any?

Lots of sunlight. Is solar use widespread?

Are good veterinarians available, both small and large animals?

How about day labor, and feel free to read between the lines.

The list could go on and on, but please comment on items that would be on your list, were you considering a move to P.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 10:50 AM

2,845 posts, read 4,516,151 times
we have an urgent care clinic located at 1501 e calvada, open 7 days a week, 8am-8pm OR we have our local hosptial located at 360 s lola lane. for a broken arm? i'm going to the hospital. for a bad cough that won't go away? i'd go to urgent care.

as for solar, it's not as popular as you would think. partially because it's not cheap, partially because the homeowners got stiffed a while back:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...solar-industry
https://www.desmogblog.com/2016/05/0...ot-turned-dark
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...company-nevada
The Other Side of the Solar Firestorm in Nevada | Fortune.com

vet for small animals = all creatures located at 1601 e basin, open 7am-5pm

vet for horses = dr adam hadland, 702-400-3631

day labor? i can't address that. i know there are some people here in town that "know people" but i haven't used them

we've got oodles of hairdressers, plenty of choices for DW

Old 05-02-2017, 12:59 PM

Hello again, I'm sure you remember Edie and me. Any comments on the water situation?

Old 05-02-2017, 01:00 PM

Hello again. I'm sure you remember meeting with me and my wife at Denny's. Do you have any remarks on the water situation there?

Old 05-02-2017, 02:59 PM

i do & i don't think there is a water struggle (as no one can prove to me exactly how much water is under us).

have there been wells that have dried up? sure. has it happened in large quantities? nope. it's been a onesy-twosy type a thing & generally it was either "my neighbor overused his water & mine is now affected" or "i'll show that government, i'll let my hose run 24/7/365"

if everyone simply used their water wisely, we'll be fine. i don't believe the water we have will sustain a population like vegas has, which is fine with majority of people out here, but i also don't believe we're in any danger of running dry

Old 05-08-2017, 01:25 PM

13 posts, read 15,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
i do & i don't think there is a water struggle (as no one can prove to me exactly how much water is under us).

have there been wells that have dried up? sure. has it happened in large quantities? nope. it's been a onesy-twosy type a thing & generally it was either "my neighbor overused his water & mine is now affected" or "i'll show that government, i'll let my hose run 24/7/365"

if everyone simply used their water wisely, we'll be fine. i don't believe the water we have will sustain a population like vegas has, which is fine with majority of people out here, but i also don't believe we're in any danger of running dry

Do most of the properties out in Pahrump run on propane? I've lived on propane before and it was no fun and super expensive.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:31 PM

no. majority of them run on electric, you have to go the extra mile to get anything converted to propane out here.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:24 PM

27 posts, read 43,553 times
Default Propane vs Natural Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2788 View Post
Do most of the properties out in Pahrump run on propane? I've lived on propane before and it was no fun and super expensive.
From what I read, those who live close to the main part of town can get natural gas if it has been run to their neighborhood or street. Those still further away are still on propane. The key to getting a reasonable rate for propane is to sign a annual contract for a flat rate with regular refills. You pay the same amount for 10 months then one payment (or credit) in the eleventh month that is higher or lower for the year then, roll over to a new year at the average cost from the previous year. Suburban Propane that we had in Reno was good at this. Our costs were higher because we have much colder winters in Reno.

This is what my impressions are. I know business in the main part of town are on natural gas so, I am pretty sure it is available.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:43 PM

27 posts, read 43,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-E-Bear View Post
From what I read, those who live close to the main part of town can get natural gas if it has been run to their neighborhood or street. Those still further away are still on propane. The key to getting a reasonable rate for propane is to sign a annual contract for a flat rate with regular refills. You pay the same amount for 10 months then one payment (or credit) in the eleventh month that is higher or lower for the year then, roll over to a new year at the average cost from the previous year. Suburban Propane that we had in Reno was good at this. Our costs were higher because we have much colder winters in Reno.

This is what my impressions are. I know business in the main part of town are on natural gas so, I am pretty sure it is available.
Upon further checking and viewing several areas of Pahrump by Google Earth, I do not see propane tanks around homes until you are well outside of the town. That is not to say that I could be wrong but, they usually show up easily in satellite photos. Here in Reno, NV Energy provides both electricity and natural gas to most all of the city and urban areas. I could be wrong but, we too are considering a move to Pahrump to retire and looking into all areas that affect our living there.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
no. majority of them run on electric, you have to go the extra mile to get anything converted to propane out here.

again, this town is electric. if you want propane, you have to pay to get it at your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada