Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 7,876 times

Advertisements

Interested in moving to Pahrump but wife has a medical issue and is worried about surviving the drive to Vegas if in a crisis. How is the hospital in Pahrump? Would appreciate comments also from those who live there...

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 08:22 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,055 times
Maybe you should say why you are interested in moving to Pahrump and where you live now and what other areas you'd consider. Pahrump would perhaps be a bit isolated, and conservative, for me, but for others those could be plusses.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:45 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,926,636 times
Please do not move to Pahrump (or consider very carefully the disadvantages) if you have a serious medical issue. I work in the medical field there and work with several long-term residents of Pahrump. All support the statement that the hospital there for the most part is lacking in comparison with the ones in Las Vegas. All of them travel to Las Vegas for serious medical concerns. Also, in certain major crises, they would most likely ship the patient to a hospital in Las Vegas (probably because they do not have the experience/staff/technology for these situations).

I'm not saying this just to say something bad about Pahrump. If you want to look at many of my other posts about the city, you can see that I really enjoy having lived in the community for the past year and some months. I believe I mentioned the concerns with the hospital/medical centers there in one of my posts.

I wish you the best in whatever your decision is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
Pahrump would perhaps be a bit isolated, and conservative, for me, but for others those could be plusses.
It's isolated (though it could be so much worse. Almost everyone I work with drives to Las Vegas more than occasionally). I would say it's way more libertarian than conservative. I'm very liberal myself and love the people and community. Talking with many of them, I get the impression most of them lean a little toward the libertarian side of the political spectrum.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:28 PM

2 posts, read 7,876 times
Default Medical/Isolated

Isolated is good. I believe there will be considerable "unrest" stirred up by this admin. in the run-up to the 2012 elections. Isolated generally means "safe" - or at least you can defend yourself (I'm currently located in gun-averse California).

Medical: my wife does have MILD emphysema. No air yet but you never get "cured" from it. I'm hoping the dust is not too bad.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:07 AM

5 posts, read 14,226 times
Default Reconsider

I wish I saw this site long ago.
Pahrump has some good, some bad medical facilities.
Some medical equipment at doctor offices is out dated.
EKG didn't work when I had heart attack earlier this year, so I was sent home.
Went to hospital next morning. Told I had done a lot of damage by waiting.
Went to Vegas and luckily told no damage and would be better than before after repair stents put in.
So, medical is unreliable at best in Pahrump.

If I had to do it over again when I moved here... I wouldn't.
If you move here... Good Luck! You're gonna need it.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:55 PM

92 posts, read 318,537 times
hey papaCharlie, i agree with you about be isolated somewhat and being safer. wife's cousin
retired in pahrump some years back and loves it there. we have been there afew times [ last
time in july afew months ago ] and we are thinking about moving there also.
would also like to hear more in-put [ good or bad ].
thanks, take care.
ron

Old 11-13-2011, 06:34 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
If you are a desert rat, you have a 4x4 and or a dirt bike, Pahrump is a great place. If you like to watch TV and sit inside, Pahrump is no place special.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:38 PM

127 posts, read 227,180 times
My wife and I considered relocating from Las Vegas to Pahrump 5 or 6 years ago. We kind of liked the rural atmosphere but we finally decided that the lack of modern medical facilities were not adequate to care for our aging bodies.

Also, some of the homes that looked to be very inexpensive initially turned out to be very expensive by the time you got all of the utilities and services installed. Of course this was before the housing market tanked. Things might be a lot different now.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:16 AM

92 posts, read 318,537 times
Smile pahrump

we like te desert and somewat isolated with all the turmoil that's
going on i believe it to be a safer place, stock up on good and water.
we have a good 4x4 to venture out. i know it's not for everyone and
people have their thoughts about the best place to live. oldest son
lives in north idaho and would never think about moving to the desert.
we also know there are many things to consider and so far we are ok.
ron

Old 11-17-2011, 08:23 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
If your answer to turmoil is to live in Pahrump, be aware that all your food will come in from elsewhere, if the turmoil you worry about is great enough, that food won't be coming to Pahrump.

Far better to live in a temperate area where you can grow your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada